Forum Home Forum Home > Australian Lures > NSW Lures > Powell Lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Powell Lures

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Powell Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Powelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New Powell Lures
    Posted: 28 Sep 2013 at 6:40pm

I've been quietly working on a few 'new' lures, over the past few months.

I've had a lot of requests from fishermen wanting to buy Diggers from me, for Cod fishing.  I decided a fair few years ago (once I left Cod country!), that I didn't have the time or timber to make these larger lures in any quantity, so I decided to make them exclusively as 'signed' lures, and most of them were made for the Collector Sets.  After a few recent request for Diggers, I decided to produce the larger Guppy lure (the original lure that Peter taught me to make) in a 'Lure Making Kit' so that people can make their own Cod lures.  The kit will sell for $40 (or $60 with a 'signed' lure)

I've also had enquiries about a Barra lure in Kit form, so I'm in the process of getting that kit together.  The lure us an upsized, slightly modified version of the 7cm Minnow.  It has a body length of 5" and is designed to be made 15mm - 18mm wide. It has a nice rolling, tight action.  Because of the size of the lure, the Kit will contain only a single lure to be carved (instead of 2), + the reference blank + the lure made by me.  The Kit will sell for $30 (or $50 with 'signed' lure).

My little Trout lure has a bigger brother that I haven't made for many years.  I tried realigning the bib slot, on the little Trout lure and fitting the Micro Digger bib, but only created a sinking lure with a nice action.  So I used big brother Trout lure, realigned the bib slot and fitted the Micro Digger bib.  In the photo, below, the top lure is the small Tout lure with deep-diving bib, the others are the larger size Trout lure.  The red lure, at the bottom, is one of the LL's raffle lures.
I've got a few lures carved and ready to glue, so will let you know when they are finished. ($14 ea)

Finally, the resurection of the deep diving Mack Attack. I didn't make many of these, in Tenterfield, but I had a recent request for a deep diving Barra lure.  The lure still keeps a fairly tight, rolling wobble, like the standard Mack Attack. I made these 4 to check bib angle preference but I've cut out a few blanks to start carving.  They are based on the beefed-up 'Bertha' version of the Mack Attack.  ($20 ea)

Cheers

Travers
rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2013 at 7:17pm
travers, can I have the four mac attacks please....mick
BEER IS PROOF THAT GOD LOVES US AND WANTS US TO BE HAPPY!!!
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2013 at 7:28pm
Thumbs UpThey are soooo nice. And those mac attacks would be great barra lures as well.
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
Powelly View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Powell Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Powelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2013 at 8:35pm
Originally posted by rodsncods rodsncods wrote:

travers, can I have the four mac attacks please....mick

Sorry Mick, these Macks aren't for sale, but I will be carving more soon.  These 4 lures are carved from some Oregon and have a pretty wavey surface, because of the soft and hard grain.

I'll post up the lures that I have for sale in the Trade Section.

Travers
Powelly View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Powell Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Powelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2013 at 11:28am
I managed to make 12 deep diving Mack Attacks, 7 Barra Lure Making Kits and eight 5" Mack Attacks in my 'spare time'.  Unfortunately they disappeared quicker than I could paint them and all that's left are 2 Barra Kits.

Deep Diving Mack Attacks are based on my "Bertha" version (thicker body than the standard Mack Attack) and have a pinned bib and longer tags and more solder on the tow wire.  These lures are heading to PNG and WA, so it will be interesting to see how the soldered tow wires stand up to Black Bass and Barra.

The 5" Mack Attacks are joining the deep diving Mack Attacks in PNG & WA.

Because I only got a chance to make a few of the new Barra Kits, and the fact that I put the wrong price on them, I decided to do them all as 'signed' lures.  I kept the original, made from King Billy Pine, and painted it with Pearl White with Candy Apple Red head and tail.

There are still 2 Kits available.  The two bottom lures - the classic yellow & black lure and the California Gold lure.  I'll advertise these 2 in the Trade Section.

I'm flat out, at the moment, trying to carve the 2014 Kads. A few weekends tied up with grand daughter's christening in Melbourne, next weekend, and a wedding the following weekend. Last week, my 87yo father had open heart surgery, in Canberra, so I've been down in Canberra making sure he recovers.  The lure making has slowed, somewhat!

Glued a few lures this weekend and carving a few Kads after work. Thankfully, daylight savings gives me a bit of time after work,

Cheers

Travers
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic