Forum Home Forum Home > Fishing > Fishing Reports
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Going Retro

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Going Retro
    Posted: 03 Oct 2013 at 5:04pm
Well, after months of amassing a large amount of old fishing tackle, we finally tried our luck using only the gear we used over 40 years ago. This meant getting up at a "sparrows fart" But it was worth it at we were at our destination just on sun up.
This was a new stretch of the creek and the water was a lot lower than we would've liked but our hopes were high as I pulled a nice Sooty on my first cast at the crossing!! Star

I was using an ABU baitcasting rod with an Abumatic 140 and Vince had an all French outfit with Mitchell rod and reel and Flopy attached.
Vince took the next strike when a cracker of a Sooty nailed his lure as it hit the water!! At least a couple of pounds a real handful on the old gear! A lot of bumps and missed strikes but it was all good fun. I did land a small one from a tight root ball that Vince had given a good working over. I had just changed over to a small jointed Rebel minnow and it looked great in the water.
As the sun got higher the fish retreated into the cover and it took a really good cast to attract their attention. Needless to say, a lot of lures ended up in the timber, requiring a bit of leg work to retrieve them.
As we neared the second crossing that would be the end of our beat for the morning, I had one last cast at a pile of dumped trash and my lure was nailed by a nice Jungle Perch, a real surprise only metres from the main road.
 All in all, a great day, and we'll be trying our luck at a few more locations over the next couple of years (or as long as we can still walk!) LOL

Fysshe
Fysshe Salmon View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2013 at 5:10pm
Fysshe
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2013 at 5:18pm

Fysshe
Ducks View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2013 at 5:23pm
Awesome!
And a stunnign JP to finish up.
Mal Vader View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Vader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2013 at 5:28pm
Always wanted a JP.
The closest I've been is at the Pet Emporium.
Is that reel mount from that period???(the one with the ABU closed face reel)
Cheers   MAL
DARK LORD
In Space, no-one can hear you SCREAM!
bignanny View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
CAM Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bignanny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2013 at 5:51pm
Nice one Ian, great photo's, regards Chris
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2013 at 6:03pm
Yes Mal, a genuine ABU Svangsta rod from the late 60's , early 70's. Quick release. It took a bit of getting used to with the soft fibreglass, but our casts were getting better by the end of the session!!
Fysshe
Lofty View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Esoteric Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lofty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2013 at 6:27pm
Bloody brilliant Ian,you have just jogged my memory I have some gear to send you.It looks a beaut day mate ,no SSSSSnakes this walk,those fish are good value .
Esoteric lures "For The Select Few"
steiny View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2013 at 6:39pm
Good stuff guys.... looks like you had a ball.
cheers steiny
Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2013 at 7:54pm
Even down to the old yellow tackle box
We kept frogs and grasshoppers in the air conditioned section

Great to see Ian

Regards John
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2013 at 10:20pm
Yeah John, I used to keep the frogs, grasshoppers and crickets in an empty Marlboro packet in my R/H top pocket. One night I went to grab a smoke and got a cricket up my nose..... Shocked
Fysshe
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 12:19am
Originally posted by Fysshe Salmon Fysshe Salmon wrote:

Yeah John, I used to keep the frogs, grasshoppers and crickets in an empty Marlboro packet in my R/H top pocket. One night I went to grab a smoke and got a cricket up my nose..... Shocked

Laff be thankful it wasn't a frogs bum Wink

I keep thinking about a friendly comp using retro lures, but it would only interest we old farts LOL
"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

Montah Steel View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member
Hobbled Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Montah Steel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 12:22am
great idea. could be a fun weekend comp in the making.
Mal Vader View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Vader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 8:29am
I have half a milkcrate full of old Diawa reels, some of them even move!
Anyone need parts???
DARK LORD
hooknose View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hooknose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 11:18am
Excellent , a lot of satisfaction to be had from such a session, Cheers  !!!
MAN I LOVE FISHING ! ! !
Red Hunter View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Red Hunter Fishing Rods

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 12:14pm
You gota love the tropical fresh water fishing  . Thumbs Up
Darkside Slayer and Zombie hunter.
Big-Pete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big-Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 8:49pm
Mal Vader, you don't have an old black closed face reel do you; I am after the internal spool winder thing.
I know that is a technical term. Thanks

Big-Pete
GB61 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB61 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 10:01pm
Had an abu closed face when i was a lad,great  little reel , my first sportfishing/ lure fishing outfit ( on a berkley pistol grip rod which i still have)  . had a red front and small opening but plastic body which eventually broke at the reel seat. I upgraded to the gold daiwa which i still have and use ocassionally. a vintage tackle fishing comp / outing ,what a great idea.
be anxious for nothing
Digitalis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Digitalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2013 at 2:28pm
Fysshe is just having another joke with us! I'll bet he pulled some old photos from his album and airbrushed a grey beard on!
Great trip guys keep us posted with more adventures! Some rain won't be to far away now, that'll stir things up a bit.
Matt.
It's only a stick untill it has TEETH MARKS in it!!!
Mal Vader View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Vader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2013 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by Big-Pete Big-Pete wrote:

Mal Vader, you don't have an old black closed face reel do you; I am after the internal spool winder thing.
I know that is a technical term. Thanks

Big-Pete

I do, Sir!
Is it the drum you're after, or just the pin that protrudes.
Will take piccys for ya.
Look for PM tonight/tmoz.
Cheers   MAL
DARK LORD
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2013 at 5:48pm
No Matt, not enough grey paint!! LOL I did try for a Barra late yesterday with more old gear, An old Sportex rod with a 70's Roddy reel, 12lb Stren line, 20lb Platypus leader and old style wire trace. Had a 3 hooker blue Rebel minnow to attract them. Certainly a wobbly old rod to cast but I was getting the lure on the spot, bit hard on the wrists working the lure though. Had a spot of trouble with the bail roller and was working on it with the lure in the water at the back of the boat. Heard a big splash, the rod nearly yanked from my hands, the line went behind the roller that I'd just undone... Crack!!! All over.... BUGGER. Angry I should learn, we get a lot of Barra just as we lift the lure from the water, must be hiding under the boat!!!
Fysshe
MXB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MXB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2013 at 7:00pm
Love your style - vintage all the way

MXB
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2013 at 8:16pm
some of my favourite rods to use are the old Jarvis walker full glass rods......ive got quite a few.
My pops rod I re built about 15 years ago....it is a JARVIS WALKER...THE RAMBLER!
Everytime I cast it I say...OK POP LETS GET A FISH OLD TIMER..... I love using it
Nan had THE CLARENCE!.......MY PERSONAL favourite of them all......a 2kg jack bends it all the way to the butt....and it handles it well...I love IT.
Jacks first rod was THE LITTLE JIM!......
I will have to see what others I have...all good aussie related names....
Ian if you want more OLDER American lures to fish  please PM  your address
Jas

Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2013 at 9:00pm
Thanks Jas, my first rod I bought in 1968 was a Jarvis Walker "Clarence" with a small Alvey. Converted it mid 70's to a cod troller by cutting a foot off the end and fitting a roller tip. Had an old Mitchell overhead reel and would troll T50 Flatfish on it. The rod tip would bounce 3" with every sway of the lure!! LOL
Fysshe
Big-Pete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big-Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2013 at 9:03pm
Thanks Mal for the reel parts looking forward to having a play and restoring my old reel.

Big-Pete
hooknose View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hooknose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 4:05pm
Gday all, just trying to reorganise one side of my shed and dug out these two "go to" combos I used for fishing from about the late eighties  till early 2000's(I discovered shimano's and daiwa's and new generation rods). On the left is an Abu 5600C Gunner mounted on a USA made Ugly Stick,2000 plus: 6 foot, 4 to 6kg,10 to 40gr lure weight. On the right is an ABU 6500 C3 mounted on an Angler "Daintree River" 5 foot 2 inch, cant remember the line class. Used to fish 12 lb mono on the 5600C and 15lb on the 6500 C3. Let me tell you it was a pleasure to pick them up again, both in perfect nick although they were hard fished for years.
Cheers SteveR !!!
MAN I LOVE FISHING ! ! !
hooknose View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hooknose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 4:07pm
They both saw plenty of birdsnests !!!Smile
MAN I LOVE FISHING ! ! !
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 4:32pm
Nothing wrong with those outfits! Thumbs Up They'd still pull plenty of Barra and Jacks! I took my retro Daiwa rod over to my old mate today to get rebound and he has a lot of old ABU baitcaster combos, most built on the "Super Barra" blanks... At the moment I'm looking for a blue Daiwa 3M reel to fit on that rod.
Fysshe
hooknose View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hooknose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 4:38pm
Good stuff Ian, that was next size up outfit, Seascape 6: 1 on an old super barra deluxe (which I rebuilt a few years ago), used it for live baiting Barra with 20lb pretest, and jigging Spanno's with Maverick Taipans, will post a piccy up when I dig her out.
MAN I LOVE FISHING ! ! !
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 4:44pm
Back in the 80's I did a trip out with the Yepoon guys and watched their technique trolling Wolfies and Jigging Taipans! We just trolled CD 18's and I got the best fish of the day for their weekend comp, a 6kg schoolie!! Cool.. Just my lucky day..  Can't remember many of the guys now, but I think Gavin Wust was one of them...
Fysshe
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 4:53pm
Just found the photo of the Schoolie! Smile I'm getting keen on retro again! Going out Friday to chase some Macks, so I'll put in my old Shakespeare rod and the green Penn eggbeater with a couple of big Rebel spoonbills...

Fysshe
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 6:10pm
oldschool schoolieLOL,nothing wrong with some of the old gear just a bit heavier.good stuff FyssheThumbs Up.

that's no how ye make porridge!
hooknose View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hooknose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 6:14pm
Who is that dashing young fella
Yeah Gav, Dave Donald, Barry Strickfus an d crew
Using mostly seascapes and ironglass jigsticks
MAN I LOVE FISHING ! ! !
Chep Buxley View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chep Buxley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 6:24pm
Magnificent! Clap
Werriscreekwonda View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Woods Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Werriscreekwonda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2017 at 8:00am
I still use my dads old Daiwa 3h now and then. Tough old reel, still works fine,still catches cod.
Who needs bearings in a reel anyway.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic