Forum Home Forum Home > Fishing > Blast from the past
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Members old pics with stories

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2013 at 8:33pm
And to ward off "Evil" spirits, I've fired up the brazier!! It's getting cold up here, down to 25 deg at the moment!!! LOL
Fysshe
Mr Viper View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Viper Lures (Still Young)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Viper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2013 at 8:42pm
OOOOHHH yeahhh , crank that up Ian ,hope the neighbours aren't in this weekend ??? the Curlews might join in the chorus in a few songs and the plovers might start up and stumpy may appear from under the patio to rock on three legs WinkClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClapClap what a night out ClapClapClapClapClap that brazier just sets the scene for a big night in Taylors beach, eat your heart out Halifax pub WinkWinkWinkWink
Fishing ??? Lets do it !!!!!!!!!!
trevron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trevron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2013 at 9:15pm
Mate, just logged on, and saw my name mentioned. I remember that trip well. It was the first time I met you. My mate was Norm Collingwood, a well known face in lure fishing circles in SE Qld  at that time (it was a pretty small circle) Norm lives in Nanango, retired and still lure fishing. It always reminded of that Johnny Cash song "How's high the water, mumma? it's 5 foot high and rising" We got out after a day's great fishing. The bass were feeding in the grass as the river broke it's banks. You stopped in there and camped on the verandah of Harry's Hut. The things we did in 2wd vehicles. The Noosa is stuffed now, camping wise. You have to book in, no camping near the water, and you get plonked in little fenced in alcoves. I know  the Bass are just as prolific, but it's too much drama jumping through the hoops to have a fish in there now.
Trev
bilge View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Bill Jackson Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bilge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2013 at 9:40pm
The older I get the more I learn.
bilge View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Bill Jackson Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bilge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2013 at 9:44pm
About 60 years ago Xmas Holidays. Note the modern fishbowl. King George for filleting.
Fysshe Salmon View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2013 at 10:04pm
G'Day Trev, it was a great trip and my first one up there. We followed a pre WW2 survey map to get there and found a road that hadn't been used for 20 years!!! It got us there (eventually) but we had to cut down a few trees!! Ouch
The Bass were on the chew with a few over the 3lb mark. Back then we'd keep a feed and my mate tried to sample a Tarpon!! (his first and last time) LOL Dead 
Didn't need FWD those days; the old EK Holden got us into some tight spots!! Star Can't remember what you were driving then! I think it may have been Norms car, a EH ?
 We got back from a days session to find a note on the tent saying you were doing the bolt before the little bridge went under! By the time we walked to check it out, the water was 3ft over... Shocked We had no option but to stay. Luckily, the water dropped as quick as it rose and we made it out safely.
Fysshe
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2013 at 10:09pm
Some nice feeds in that bucket? A young Bill?? Confused
Fysshe
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2013 at 10:39pm
the young fella is struggling to lift that big load BillBig smile,good fun filleting all those eh?
Fysshe I remember reading stories about the upper noosa river around that time cheers for putting up the pictures and it is a shame that its so much mucking about to get up there now,
bilge View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Bill Jackson Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bilge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2013 at 10:43pm
That young fella  is nearly worn out now but boy thats how I learnt to fillet whiting
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2013 at 12:53am
Yeah the access sucks now, it's just as easy with modern boating to camp at Elanda or Boreen, zip across the lake at first light and be up the top as the mist lifts....or is that too much info given.....Embarrassed

Nice fish there Ian, the biggest I have seen out of the river above HH was 350mm, but then again that was just after we had the mullet netters removed. They are probably recovering nicely now (20years later)
"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

Davent View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2013 at 1:21am
We want more....we want more.....
Atheism is a non prophet organisation
trevron View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trevron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2013 at 8:49am
Ian you've got it pretty right. It was a HD station wagon actually. Now you mention the note it all comes back. I had a mate and his family get caught in there in a cyclone a few years later. The water came up so fast, he had to break  into the hut to the missus and kids out of the water, which ended up over the floorboards. It was still rising, when he did a evac in his 12ft tinny  back to Elanda point. The unique thing about the upper Noosa is that it floods clear, and when it breaks the banks it just spreads out over the wallum flats so there is very little current. Are these the wafflings over and old fisho? I think we could write a book. I won't bore you with the story about when I took Rod Harrison and Peter Newell up there.
Trev
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2013 at 8:59am
Great memories! I enjoyed reading all the visitors names written on the walls in charcoal. I found Bob Dyers name there!! Thumbs Up Haven't been back since the late 80's when all the new regs came into force!! I came up with Neil Schultz in his canoe. I was knackered after a hard nights fishing and got out for a nap under a tree but got sprung by the NPWS. Too many new rules now, I think the upper reaches are paddle or electric only!! 
Fysshe
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2013 at 9:31am
One more for Dave in the NT... Smile Another military exercise shortly after "Tracy" ravaged Darwin. We'd sign out a big Inter truck, get a couple of tinnies and large Eskys from welfare store. Hit up the mess for some steak, onions and bread. 6 of us pile into the truck and head off!! Smile
We loved Bynoe Harbour, relatively un touched at the time and good gravel roads. (some corrugations, as the guys in the back of the truck felt)
Couple of the guys would drag the bait net and live-bait while we would be lure only!! We found the best way to get the Barra was on a rising tide over the oyster rocks. Just find a nice high perch and cast Nilsies in the shallow water late afternoon. We had to make sure the water didn't get too deep as the tide rose pretty quick and had to keep retreating . One of our silly mates was getting a few fish and stayed on his rock until the water was waist deep! When he stepped off, the water was up to his neck and had to wade 400 yards with two Barra in his hand!! Shocked
Fysshe
Mr Viper View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Viper Lures (Still Young)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Viper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2013 at 5:17pm
Ian, is that "Slab" holding up those two barra ??????? looks like a young one !!!
Fishing ??? Lets do it !!!!!!!!!!
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2013 at 6:54pm
No Shane, that's my old mate Wayne. A good fisherman who could play a big fish without losing his cool. Taught me a lot!! He would even light up a smoke during the fight... LOL Will post up some pics from our Jewie sessions at a later date...
Fysshe
Davent View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2013 at 10:55pm
Thanks for that Ian, I'm an ex soldier, and used to smugle a rod along when I could. First oppertunity I had was during some Para continuation at Exmouth. Stayed for a week, jumping from an old C7, ( later called a CC08) carabou. Fished a little creek behind the the bare RAAF base, got jacks, cod and of all things , heaps of squid, sadly, I didn't think to take a camera, and anyway, would have had to black the eyes out of those I was fishing with!
I now take a nitro 5 PC rod with me where ever I go, and in my line of work, I end up at all sorts of places in the top end, oenpelli, borraloola, wadeye,the tiwis ,gove and places that don't have names, again, for different reasons, I can't take a camera, although took one to oenpelli and have some pics that could get me in trouble with some of the biggest toga I have come across.
I am really enjoying your old pics, mate.
We used to jump at salt ash in the 80,s , we stayed at gan gan , and that was the first time I fished tomaree head and got land based longtails and cobia.
Please keep them coming Ian.
Atheism is a non prophet organisation
Strangalures View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strangalures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2013 at 11:29pm
What a great post thanks for the read Ian , must be some great memories for you fishing in those places.
Cheers Rick
Fish Choking Lures :)
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2013 at 11:59pm
Some great memories allright. Based at Williamtown, we used to fish Tomaree for big Aus Salmon. Put the tinny in at Shoal Bay once to fish for Squire and Bream. A school of Tuna came through and I cast a peeled prawn to it. Instant hookup and I've never seen a reel lose line so fast!! Shocked It was only a little Daiwa close face with 6lb line...LOL Probably why they wore out so quick...
Fysshe
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2013 at 11:59am
Another hot session at Bynoe! I forgot the camera but a mate who wasn't that into fishing, recorded the whole trip on film, much to our surprise !!
One of the outboard motors broke down and, while two guys trolled the main basin in the other tinny, we live-baited a nice beach at the mouth of one of the feeder creeks.
Lots of Queenys and small Whaler Sharks and a few bigger ones lurking just off the beach.
Fysshe
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2013 at 3:07pm
Sometimes we didn't wait for the weekends to get out for a fish. While waiting for our aircraft to return from their missions, we would shape up a couple of poppers on the linisher from broom handles and after work would head out to the rocks at East Point or Nightcliffe chasing Skinnys (Queenys) and GT's. By the end of the exercise, the flight hut brooms were only about 3ft long. LOL
Fysshe
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2013 at 3:22pm
For our freshwater fix, we would head east from Darwin towards Arnhem Land (wasn't called Kakadu then) The Mary River was the first fishable spot but copped a flogging from the locals but Wayne did manage a nice Toga there one afternoon on a Flopy. The East Alligator River at Cahills Crossing was on awesome spot to fish. Put the tinny in and head upriver to chase Barra and one time I got the mates to drop me off at a small inlet to do some exploring.  After a bit if bush bashing, the small drain opened up into a large gorge lined with Pandanus palms and steep rocky banks! I could only access a small area of bank, but I got some nice Barra on Cordells and Rebel Rattlers.
Back at the crossing a couple of the guys went live-baiting at night! Quite scary and when you shined the torch on the water, all you could see were red eyes!!! Shocked Cherabin, Tarpon. Barra and "CROCS"
Fysshe
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic