Forum Home Forum Home > Australian Lures > NSW Lures > Twitchy Lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Zebra Woods

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Twitchy Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Zebra Woods
    Posted: 11 Jul 2010 at 9:09pm
Hi Guys thought I'd show you some lures I made from left over Zebra wood.....WinkWinkWink...Pete.
I'd rather be fishing with

Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2010 at 9:18pm
They look great pete, I like the lures unpainted, I make a few from time to time for fun, nothing elaborate, but they have caught fish, each one is different as I carve them with a knife, and just take it as it goes, and what unfolds before my eyes I go with.
Ive been collecting drift wood from places, and it comes up beautiful!!!  easy to work, and very light.!
Will have to sort out a few lures from you soon.
Jason
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
tooch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Twitchy Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2010 at 9:29pm
Hi Jason, Driftwood wouldn't be as hard as this stuff it's like trying to work with titanium...As hard as.. but the grain standa atraight up as soon as the clear hits it.....WinkWinkWink...Pete.

ropes.basstard View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Asian Lures Guide

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ropes.basstard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2010 at 9:35pm
Pete they look great. Where the hell does Zebra wood come from?
Hi I'm Ropes and I'm addicted to fishing lures.
tooch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Twitchy Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2010 at 9:40pm
Hi paul, Zebra wood comes from the desert in south Africa as I have been told by the guy at the timber yard and that is all I can tell you about it , except that it's bloody hard stuff to work with....and it floats great..WinkWinkWink....Pete.

wrapper View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Wrapper Baits

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wrapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2010 at 9:43pm
Pete 59say no more , these will be the centre point of my NEW collection
Lures from people l met on the lure sites
CANNT WAIT !! lol
cheers wrapper
Ps tks mate !
tooch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Twitchy Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2010 at 9:53pm
Hi Neil I thought you'd be over the moon when you saw them, the front three are yours and the other two are a present for another Lurelover who,s going to get a surprise when he gets them......WinkWinkWink...Pete.

LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Asian Lures Guide

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ropes.basstard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2010 at 10:24pm
Certainly is an incredible timber, they came up a treat. Well done Pete.
Abuadmiral View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
ABU Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abuadmiral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2010 at 10:36pm
They look like Zebra stone when cut and polished.
Great work persevering Pete!

cheers
wayne
Tight Lines
Wayne Real
tooch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Twitchy Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2010 at 12:16am
Thanks for the kind words guys,
Wayne, it's as hard as stone but the sander didn't mind it so it can't be too bad and the clear just put that finishing touch on them ...Don't you think...WinkWinkWinkWink....Pete.

Timber King Lures View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timber King Lures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2010 at 6:14am
Very nice Pete 59Award 
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2010 at 6:50am
GOOD work pete mmust of takin alot of stroking to make ..BET ya cant wait too stroke TIGER WOODS??????????LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL
tooch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Twitchy Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2010 at 5:35pm
Two Stroke, have you been sniffen thinners again.......LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL....Pete61

Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2010 at 6:44pm

I'm liking that pattern Pete Clap I have seen the odd piece pop up on woodwork groups I look at for exotic timber for making lures from. Found some info on the timber as well.....

The Tree: Leguminosae family (Microberlina, brazzavillensis)
Zebrawood is distinctive for its zebra like light and dark stripes. The term, "zebrawood" is shared by several different woods with this particular appearance. The most common species available are from West Africa - mainly Cameroon and Gabon, so its a tropical almost rainforest timber. They are a tree of medium to large size, gregarious, commonly growing in pure strands along riverbanks. Can grow to heights of 150 feet with trunk diameters of 4 to 5 feet. When cut it gives off an unpleasant aroma which disappears as it dries. 

Wood Description:
A heavy hard wood with a somewhat coarse texture, with the typical so-called zebra stripes, often with an interlocked or wavy grain. The heartwood is a pale golden yellow, distinct from the very pale colour of the sapwood and features narrow streaks of dark brown to black. Zebrawood can also be a pale brown with regular or irregular marks of dark brown in varying widths. It is almost always quartersawn to get the exciting alternating colour pattern and a straight grain. It is a true exotic wood, with limited availability and relatively high prices.

Weight: 36-45 pounds per cubic foot

Finishing:
Difficult to finish because of the dual nature of the grain but finishes well once it's filled. The wood itself has a lustrous appearance.

Machining:
This wood is easy to saw but difficult to work with. Of all the woods I have handled, this rates as the worst to plane. It does not seem to matter which direction it is feed into a planer, it tears out badly in either direction. Experts recommend the use of a belt sander as the only feasible way to get a good smooth finish. If you receive it presanded, it is relatively easy to cut to size for all your woodworking projects. Can be glued if done with care.

Darbs

tooch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Twitchy Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2010 at 8:12pm
Hi darb, Man you're a wealth of Info.....Thanks for that...I still wouldn't have Known any better of this wood as the guy at the timber yard didn't have much info on it as well. I really know what they meant when they said it was difficult to cut and plane because I used a metal fret saw to cut the big one out and a spoke shave to form the shape....but once I started to sand it was when I really started to get good Results. My next project might be made from Ebony and I think it will be harder to work with than the Zebra wood.....WinkWinkWinkWinkWink...Pete.

LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Asian Lures Guide

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ropes.basstard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2010 at 9:26pm
Thanks Darb,

I used your info to search out some photos of the tree, but found this link to timber generally http://www.contemporarywoodturning.com/wood_species.htm

Microberlinia brazzavillensis is in the bottom left hand corner.

Ropes
tooch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Twitchy Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2010 at 11:54pm
Hi Paul, I had a look at that site you put up. Did you notice the purple heart wood??? I picked a piece up the other day but I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it yet. It doesn't seem to be as hard as the Zebra wood . I haven't had much time of late I've got a bit on at the moment....WinkWinkWink....Pete.

LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Asian Lures Guide

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ropes.basstard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2010 at 12:01am
Now that will make one interesting lure! Crikey that colour looks so strong and un-natural. Nature really is a wonderful thing.
tooch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Twitchy Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2010 at 1:00am
HI paul It doesn't look much when you see it in it's rough state but when you see it turned up and polished it's something to behold....WinkWinkWink....Pete.

wrapper View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Wrapper Baits

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wrapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2010 at 9:15pm
Pete got yor lures today !! all l can say is UNREAL ! mate you did a top job , the painted ones top class and as for the Zebra's well so happy
for the people reading this here's what l received today , Clap thanks Pete   cheers Neil
tooch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Twitchy Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2010 at 9:28pm
Glad you like them Neil......ClapClapClap...Pete.

wrapper View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Wrapper Baits

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wrapper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2010 at 11:10pm
Hmmmmmmmmm  purple heart wood , now that sounds interesting 59let me know how you go with them ,would be interested in acouple
            cheers wrapper Wink
tooch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Twitchy Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2010 at 11:24pm
Hi Neil, I don't know quite yet what I'm going to do with the peice that I bought . I thought I would just start on it and see where I end up....WinkWinkWinkWink...Pete.

tooch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Twitchy Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2010 at 5:19pm
HI Guys , I thought I'd put this pic up for all to see it's the Zebra wood lure that I put up for sale a liitle while ago and one of the guys has in his collection now...ClapClapClap...Pete.

bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2010 at 7:56pm
I had some zoo zebras turn up yesty too & a nice purple cod lure too thank you peter there dead sexy mate.......regards BOBBig smileBig smileBig smileClapClapClapClap
tooch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Twitchy Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2010 at 8:27pm
My Pleasure Bob, anytime you want something different just ask TWITCHY Buddy...WinkWinkWink....Pete.

bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2010 at 8:27pm
LOVE em tooch its the morals of the the man that makes the lure specials also youll know what i mean when ya in the cave TOOCH OLD SONWinkWinkWinkWinkBig smileBig smileBig smileCoolCoolCoolCoolCoolCool
tooch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Twitchy Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2010 at 10:05am
Hi Bob, Gotta love the Zebras...
I'm putting some up for sale soon...TongueTongueTongueTongue...Pete.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic