LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Lure Discussion > Fishing with Lures > Fishing Tackle discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Changing hooks on 'larger' lures.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod Bender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Changing hooks on 'larger' lures.
    Posted: 03 Dec 2013 at 6:09pm
Hi All
I am going to try changing trebles from a couple lures to either the 'w' / doubles (whatever) and singles.  My aim is to make the lures a bit more 'snag - resistant'!  I have changed hooks on small minnow style lures before and am aware you can affect the 'balance' of the lure.

My question, is this still an issue with larger lures?  Are they sensitive to changes in weight?  I wouldn't think so but I'm not sure. The lures in question are the 4 1/4" Worden's Flatfish and the 65mm Predatek Boomerang.  Not large by other standards but certainly the largest I have ever tampered with!

thanks in advance
Jim
Mal Vader View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mal Vader Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2013 at 6:54pm
Jim,
There's more to consider than the weight you're altering.
3 prongs create more DRAG in the water,  than 2, or 1 for that matter.
Mostly the weight will alter the angle of your lure, at rest.
This is toyed with a lot by popper fishermen, for optimum hook exposure at rest.
Change in drag can affect action and balance.
Usually, if too big a change is made, the way you're going(less) your lures may 'Blowout' at lower speeds.
Asking about it will give you generalisations.
Trial and error will give you hard evidence on your particular scenario.
BOTH should be combined.
GREAT QUESTION, I'm interested in other's opinions on this subject.
Cheers   MAL

DARK LORD
In Space, no-one can hear you SCREAM!
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2013 at 6:54pm
Jim, I would be tempted to weigh the 2 options, and anything close to the same weight without tangling should work fine. Small postage scales are the best option, form evilbay or dollar shops....

Brad
"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

Tony Mc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Mc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2013 at 9:32pm
If trying singles, use a straight shank, not an offset shank/point unless you're after a spinner Wacko
Snag resistant also means hook-up impaired Ying Yang
Best of luck,

Tony.
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2013 at 11:58am
the Boomerang should be ok its probably tested at the factory without hooks anyway
rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2013 at 12:08pm
just do it, swim them, then you'll know one way or the other......mick
BEER IS PROOF THAT GOD LOVES US AND WANTS US TO BE HAPPY!!!
Montah Steel View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member
Hobbled Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Montah Steel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2013 at 1:44pm
id use scales to determine the treble weight and go from there. ive found on my lures that you can go up a size in trebles without too much change in action. go too big and the action slows down too much, too small and it may not sit right.
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2013 at 6:07pm
Originally posted by rodsncods rodsncods wrote:

just do it, swim them, then you'll know one way or the other......mick
second thatThumbs Up
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic