LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > International Lures > North American Fishing Lures > USA Lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My wooden Bombers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My wooden Bombers
    Posted: 14 Dec 2013 at 10:55am
A selection of wooden Bombers. At the moment there seems to be 6 sizes each varying about 1/4 inch. Does anyone know how many wooden sizes there were? I know there was a large plastic one made but only for a short time... Confused Also one of my new favourites, a small wooden Waterdog... Big smile Sadly, a couple of them had a bad case of "Worm Burn" and need some TLC Dead
Fysshe
Hutto View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hutto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2013 at 12:55pm
Fysshe,

Check this site out. It may help answer some questions

Cheers

Ian
Hutto
Fysshe Salmon View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2013 at 1:16pm
Interesting site, looks like I have all six sizes...
Fysshe
MXB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MXB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2013 at 1:19pm
Hi Ian - that is the six sizes but there are some bib variations with wider bibs on some of the earlier ones - plus there is the saltwater version with different heavy duty belly hook hangers

MXB
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2013 at 2:07pm
One of the first lures I had a go at making in '72-73 were the Bomber ones and got some nice fish on them!! I made a slimmer version of the small Waterdog and called it a "peanut". Had a great action..Star
Fysshe
MXB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MXB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2013 at 2:10pm
Classic - love the photos

MXB
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2013 at 3:51pm
AWESOME pics ian iam a fan the bomber luresClapClapClapClapTongueTongue allways have beenBig smileBig smileBig smileregards bob 
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2013 at 5:51pm
never knew there were so many different sizes but the Fysshe ones would've been the best!StarThumbs Up
rivermandave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rivermandave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2013 at 11:31pm
Originally posted by Fysshe Salmon Fysshe Salmon wrote:

A selection of wooden Bombers. At the moment there seems to be 6 sizes each varying about 1/4 inch. Does anyone know how many wooden sizes there were? I know there was a large plastic one made but only for a short time... Confused Also one of my new favourites, a small wooden Waterdog... Big smile Sadly, a couple of them had a bad case of "Worm Burn" and need some TLC Dead

Wooden ones are easy to spot as they have a small screw that holds the bib (see pic).

This is important as ALL models were made out of plastic sometime in the 1970's.

There is ONE plastic model that is old AND unique though, as it was made ONLY in 1949. Here's a few Wink

horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2013 at 11:14am
Very interesting on those "49 models there Dave. I would have passsed them off as cheap Asian copies.
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2013 at 11:52am
I have a few of the later plastic ones, three have rattles but the white one doesn't. The bottom one is a Jap copy. One of the older wooden ones has a "Phillips" screw holding the bib in... Confused
Fysshe
MXB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MXB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2013 at 3:06pm
Here's the saltwater version of the original bomber that were released with heavy duty L Rig hardware - in heavy Xmas tree colour.

And heres a few old Bomber Waterdogs - there are a number of box variations too. These are fairly early in the history;

And a few more in later packaging with clear plastic sleaves;

Love the Bombers

MXB

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2013 at 3:29pm
Nice set there Roger, love that saltwater one... I have a few of the larger Waterdogs each slightly different.
Fysshe
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2013 at 3:35pm
I also have these three which I think are Asian copies, plastic, not Luxon clips. Had bad worm burn and severe rust on the bibs. Treated the rust and repainted and fitted bronze Mustad hooks, will fish these fellas up the fresh here... Smile
Fysshe
rivermandave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rivermandave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2013 at 11:56pm
The only copies of Bombers that I have seen in a catalog are these in the 1969 Atlantic Lures catalog.

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2013 at 8:36am
I'm assuming the Atlantic lures were Japanese? Mine are very similar, but the one marked "Japan" had an alloy bib and was much squarer at the front. the others had a steel bib. There were a lot of Jap copies in the early 70's. The Daiwa stable was very comprehensive!!! And cheap; I had quite a lot of them at the time... The quality was a bit suspect though... Ouch
Fysshe
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2013 at 8:39am
Fysshe
peter am View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter am Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2013 at 11:43am
heres some of mine, Giving my age away now but the 6in waterdog caught a 32lb cod on opening day of coby dam for me.Iv,e slipped in a couple of specials as well
peter
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2013 at 12:36pm
So, it was you who caught that cod?? The story travelled around the South East very quickly!! There was a big rush on Cod lures at "Mullet Gut Marine" soon after... LOL
Fysshe
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2013 at 12:59pm
Some nice Hellbenders there too!! Interesting one under the Xmas Tree Waterdog?? Here's a few of my Hellbenders, the top right one is a Jap copy I think, all the rest have Luxon clips... The bottom right I have repainted. Not too sure on the third row as the spinner is in the middle of the lure. Confused
Fysshe
peter am View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter am Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2013 at 1:06pm
And my shop as well, Downs Fishing at the 5 ways in Newtown toowoomba.
peter
MXB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MXB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2013 at 2:55pm
@Pete am . . .
There are actually only three bombers in your picture and an interesting one second from top which looks like a Martin Lizzard with the squarish shaped bib? Here's a photo for comparison;

And a few Whopper Stopper 'Hellbender' lures and original back running Whopper Stopper bait. They will have Luxon clips and a little spinner blade on the back behind a plastic disc or cup;

MXB

peter am View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter am Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2013 at 4:01pm
true, thats why i said i snuck in some imposters, And it is a martin if your talking about the black fur , a very rare one i belive, The rest are pretty much hellbenders. ill put the rest up when i make some more room ,Iv,e only got about 18 i think and not all as neat as yours.
peter
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2013 at 7:06pm
Peter, I too remember that cod - thought that the dam would be flogged to death for weeks afterwards so I didn't bother.
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
peter am View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peter am Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2013 at 6:49am
I still havethe pic somewhere. One of the things i did keep after selling up. The better halfs brother was in the boat behind and he,s still spitting chips.
peter
chooka44 View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chooka44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2014 at 10:40pm
The "x" or "X" on the Luxon is a give away for the age of the lures as well as the colour of the eyes
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic