LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > The Art of Fly Tying
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Keeping the greenies happy

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Keeping the greenies happy
    Posted: 07 Mar 2014 at 12:48pm
No, not those greenies, the other greenies Wink

A couple of BIG articulated surface flies aimed squarely at replicating the standard big paddlers. Trying out some plastic bibs as well as the usual foam.

A large OS shrimp based on the number I found the other night, as well as a 'kinda' blackfish and some standard baitfishy types trying various things.

Now I've gotta find the time to go fish them Confused

Steve
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2014 at 12:58pm
I recon you'll do alright Steve,these look pretty good.do you have any problems with the paddlers helicoptering when you false cast?
that's no how ye make porridge!
flyonline View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2014 at 1:24pm
Chris

not noticeably, more a case of not being able to cast a long way but that's not an issue for cod in a yak! I think the articulated tails might go some way to helping stop the spinning but I use them to drop the tail down in the water and get a longer body length.

When drifting I often load the rod up with the line/fly in the water behind or beside me and simply shoot forward without any false casting. With such a short leader, I can often flick enough line forward with just the leader outside of the tip guide using the weight of the fly and line. It might not be 'fly casting' but when you're inside an overhanging willow etc. there's not a lot of room for false casting LOL Doing so few casts probably helps stop spinning too, if you're shooting long casts with many false casts, the fly is moving in the air for a lot longer.
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2014 at 11:14am
Originally posted by flyonline flyonline wrote:

Chris

When drifting I often load the rod up with the line/fly in the water behind or beside me and simply shoot forward without any false casting. .
that's called a ''water haul'' its still a cast ,I like those paddlers mind if I tie a few for myself?
that's no how ye make porridge!
flyonline View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2014 at 12:10pm
Yep, though it's a little more difficult with those huge surface flies. I wouldn't mind learning how to spey cast, it looks awesome when done well! Don't really have any call for it though LOL

Hell no, go nuts - I haven't done anything that hasn't been done before, but I do a bit of 'cut and paste' from various patterns. That clear bib is actually the lens of a pair of safety goggles, but I reckon it needs more of a cup shape to get a better action.

Send me your address and I'll tie up a couple for you if you like
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic