LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > The Art of Fly Tying
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bream Fly Pattern

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big-Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bream Fly Pattern
    Posted: 24 May 2014 at 5:55pm
Hi everyone I am looking for the pattern that Dave Dumplton of Nowra made back in the 90's it is a bream fly that uses coke can for the lip. I have tied them some time ago but I wish to do them again.

If perchance anyone has the pattern please let me know, it was published in one of the fishing magazines of the time.

Thanks in advance

Peter
Mattya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mattya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2014 at 11:36am
Peter
I think I have the mag in my pile in the shed.
I Did make a few but used the P.E.T plastic from a coke bottle instead of aluminium.
You can use a hair dryer to mold the plastic into all different bib shapes.
I will see if I can dig up the article
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2014 at 12:28pm
Slushie straws are the go for fly bibs the flared spoon end of the straw makes an awesome bib ive tied prawn patterns for bream for this give that agoWinkWinkBig smileBig smileBig smileregards bob
Big-Pete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big-Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2014 at 12:52pm
Thanks Mattya and bassnbob for your help and I will try your ideas, have to be easier than cutting up cans.

Big-Pete
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2014 at 1:40pm
BIG PETE keep us posted on what ya come up with thanks broWinkWinkBig smileBig smileBig smileregarsa bob
Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2014 at 4:54pm
Pete I thought i had posted that fly you are after with the bib  but cannot find it.

This American one does have a lip.

lurelovers.com/forum/scrubber-heads-american-bass-fly_topic6457.html

Regards John
Big-Pete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big-Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2014 at 7:07pm
No sorry that is not the one John I will take a photo of the one I have and post it.

Pete
Big-Pete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big-Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2015 at 11:04am
Sorry for my tardy response time, well actually I had to move some crap, no sorry highly valuable gear from in front of my fishing cabinet to get to where I had one of the remaining flies to take a photo of it.

Big-Pete

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2015 at 11:17pm
What size hook Pete.  Looks impressive

Regards John
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2015 at 10:43am
THEY would be a AWESOME BASs fly as well ClapClapClapBig smileBig smileregards bob
Big-Pete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big-Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2015 at 1:07pm
The hook used is a 8 or 10 long shank. I have some spare parts that I will take photos of and post up later today.

Big-Pete
Big-Pete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big-Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2015 at 5:07pm
Small oval cut from the side of an aluminum can. Oval folded in half. Long shank hook slightly bent. Folded body placed onto the hook. Bib cut from the base of the can as it is stronger. I normally use stainless hooks.

Big-PeteFly Parts
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2016 at 7:38pm
GOTTA make some of these buggers cool asWinkClapClapClapregards bob
Big-Pete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big-Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2016 at 7:41pm
There is a foam under body to go under the aluminum, we used to use cork sheet but this day and age closed cell foam would be better.

Big-Pete 
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2016 at 7:56pm
THANK for that PETE ill see what ive gotWinkBig smileBig smileregards bob
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2016 at 1:02pm
Thanks Pete I missed your Dec posting.
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2016 at 1:05pm
Pete
Second look/study  I noted that the completed fly has a slight up eye look

regards John
Big-Pete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big-Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2016 at 6:43pm
I may have bent it a tad so I could get to it to tie the line on.

Big-Pete
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic