LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bib shape and action

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bib shape and action
    Posted: 29 Jun 2014 at 1:47pm
Hi All
I'm interested in bib theory, action, depth etc resultant of shape. I've had a quick search of this site and can't see anything definitive. I'm aware of the basics of bib angle and tow points, and I've read that square bibs dive deeper and round bibs increase wobble. However what relationships are influenced by v shapes, cupping convex or concave, I'd much appreciate the collective learnings of all in this regard. I've been making a few lures lately and have been experimenting in the test tank (swimming pool) however there's many variables so I thought I'd come to the font of all knowledge piscatorial.

Cheers Steve.
hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2014 at 2:41pm
Steve--you should find all you need in here-- http://www.tacklemaking.com/default.php?pageID=98
Scroll down to Bibs/ Lips?? also look in the side box "Browse", more info in there on various things.
Personally I use 'curved', only because you can get more(or less) depth and action for a lot less plastic.
Pete
   'RAYNA' ---Free Range Lures
peterayn@yahoo.com.au
Pearcey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Dave Pearce Lures and OLM Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pearcey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2014 at 4:56pm
Steve, try different bib positions and lure shapes , experimentation is the key , thats how you learn, cheers pearcey
barneyminno View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Deep River Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barneyminno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2014 at 6:52pm
Steve , 

The answer to your question would fill a book the size of War and Peace.

There are so many variables and possibilities that there really is no definitive answer.

As far as "square bibs go deeper and round bibs increase wobble..." , any lure maker can make a square bibbed lure with lots of wobble [it depends on the location of the towpoint and the width of the bib in relation to the mass X bouyancy of the lure...] , equally , a 'round bibbed' lure can be made to go very deep via the same rationale.

The 'one rule' is that there are no definitive rules.

The 'font' of all knowledge piscatorial isnt here. lts in the heads of great men like Newell , McCristal , Lewers , Leadbeater , Clark , Pakula etc etc. 

Enjoy experimenting and trying new things for yourself in your luremaking. lt is a cliche' , but very true , that it is the journey rather than the end that makes an undertaking worthwhile  Smile

Barney.
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2014 at 7:57pm
Steve, I recently did a test using one of my shapes with different bibs in it, surprisingly the action was very similar no matter what the bib shape and style was, only the depth capability which I was already aware of.
As suggested, have a play with size, shape and angle and see what happens.
Brad
"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

Davent View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2014 at 8:09pm
Originally posted by barneyminno barneyminno wrote:

Steve , 

There are so many variables and possibilities that there really is no definitive answer.

As far as "square bibs go deeper and round bibs increase wobble..." , any lure maker can make a square bibbed lure with lots of wobble [it depends on the location of the towpoint and the width of the bib in relation to the mass X bouyancy of the lure...] , equally , a 'round bibbed' lure can be made to go very deep via the same rationale.

The 'font' of all knowledge piscatorial isnt here. lts in the heads of great men like Newell , McCristal , Lewers , Leadbeater , Clark , Pakula etc etc. 

Enjoy experimenting and trying new things for yourself in your luremaking. lt is a cliche' , but very true , that it is the journey rather than the end that makes an undertaking worthwhile  Smile

Barney.
Just quoteing this by Barney because its worth reading again!Clap
Atheism is a non prophet organisation
GBG View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2014 at 9:14pm
Steve I love playing with new shapes and bibs and have come up with some interesting results.

As I work from an ipad it is not easy to up load photos, but the most interesting I did manage to post. If you can search back under my initials and look for 'Those bibs I mentioned' you can have a look.

But it's probably been done before. Barney has seen this swim and he wasn't greatly impressed.

Regards
Gordon
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2014 at 10:14am
G'day Steve, did you enter the RDS? If yes, hope you nail it.
I use only ali for bibs, have several shapes I use and sometimes I cup them, sometimes not.
Just lately while swim testing, I have been experimenting with the shape and angle of the tow eyelet. I've found I can radically vary the depth and wobble, just by tuning this eyelet. Think I initially discovered this trick by reading an old backing card, that came with a Norm Edwards lure I purchased here in Darwin around 30yrs. ago. So the idea isn't new, give it a go.
Regards, Seaweed.
"Always Merry and Bright"
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2014 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by Davent Davent wrote:

Originally posted by barneyminno barneyminno wrote:

Steve , 

Barney.

Just quoteing this by Barney because its worth reading again!Clap
I agree with Barney too,best way to learn is trial and error
that's no how ye make porridge!
Steve B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2014 at 8:57pm
Thanks all for your insights, I have been experimenting and learning along the way, I agree with all and am enjoying the collective conversation. Much if not all in life is about the journey, so hearing you loud and clear there and yes Seaweed I've entered the Royal Darwin Show, as I'm sure others here have, maybe we can get a group photo later in the month, and thanks for the eyelet bending comment, I'll focus on that too
Cheers Steve.
Davent View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2014 at 9:15pm
Whats the go with the show, I actually suggested this at last years show, and gave the lady who ran the stand this sites address.
I havnt entered anything yet, but would like to, how do I go about it.
Dont care about prizes, but would love to see what others are doing!
Seaweed, I still dont have a guru or seaweed lure yet, and am keen to swap with you, if you would like to, I have a few to choose from, And Steve as well, maybe we could get together one day for a darwin meet? I know a bloke in Palmo who makes some cracking poppers who I think would join us, what do yas reckon?
Steve B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2014 at 10:43pm
Dave, contact the Royal Darwin Show in business hours, contact details on their web site, entries closed a while ago but I'm sure if you talk with them nicely they'll accept a late entry, the more the merrier, I'm in it for the fun of it, there'll be some stiff competition I'm sure. Seaweed is a nice genuine bloke, I think a Darwin catch up would be good idea.
cheers Steve
Davent View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2014 at 3:05am
Entries closed 13th june, not fair to enter late, might ask if i can put them in as a  non competitor, just to fill some spots and add variety.
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2014 at 6:59pm
Trial and error, more satisfaction all round once youve learned by mistakes.....
no single way could be expained simply.....as baney said.
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic