LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Lure Discussion > Lure Collecting > Maintaining your collection
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Saving a Newell

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Barambah Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote matt fraser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Saving a Newell
    Posted: 30 Aug 2014 at 4:33pm
I've got to admit that I have only ever bought one Newell, back in the late 90s from the Carseldine Tackle Shop from memory. A Classic Woods Scorpion.

Because of its colour it never got much time in the water. At the time I was trolling attacks a lot for flatties at the 'Pin and Pumicestone Passage. Pinks, Greens, Oranges, grey and brown were all good, but the Newell Red & Black didn't get any love.

I decided to paint a few lures in the green/orange scheme, something to do with Warren Steptoe praising the banana bomber (24A was a gun in the 8 to 10 foot range). So I bought a couple of spray cans and went to town on a batch of lures. It was a rough as guts job, I didn't even tape up bibs or remove hooks on some of them!

One of the unfortunates was the newell scorp.....

So I went about trying to bring some of these lures back, with the Newell the priority.

I started with a bit of wire wool, and it was working ok, but then I had a little scratch with the thumbnail, and the paint came off ok. So I kept scratching and scratching.

Painstakingly the original paint came out from under the dodgy green and orange. It must be a pretty tough finish as it didn't get scratched our marked in the process. I had to user a craft knife around the bib, and didn't quite get it all. But pretty happy with the end result.

I saved my one and only Newell!

Cheers,

Matt
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2014 at 4:40pm
Came up wellClap, not to worry, you are not the only one who have attacked lures with various means of adding colour or patterns. Fortunately most of my "creations" were on the shop plastic things.
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
reel deal View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reel deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2014 at 5:29pm
Mr Fraser,

Don't know what your day job is, but you definitely have a future in lure restoration.

Yessir
wadeyClap

www.reeldealfishing.com.au
saito View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2014 at 5:42pm
A very nice lure Matt

It's good to see that it all went well
Cheers

James

~Love my Bass fishing~
Aussbasstony View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussbasstony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2014 at 5:50pm
Yep your addicted now Matt !
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic