LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures > Timbers for lure making
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

where to get white beech in the top end?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: where to get white beech in the top end?
    Posted: 04 Oct 2014 at 3:53pm
Question for top enders, or ex top enders, or someone who knows someone who knows about white beech.....lol!
Cant find any in darwin, and when i want to order some, they ask question like , how many meters do you want? Or not sure how much it is by the ton?
Just want enough to make a few hundred lures...., maybe Balls knows?
Atheism is a non prophet organisation
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2014 at 5:34pm
Dave, try some of the boat slipway/yards, and I mean BIG BOAT yards that build/repair BIG boats, that's where I tend to pick mine up from.

Brad
"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

Bigriver View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Kneller Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2014 at 9:35pm
www.cedarworks.com.au    I have been getting White Beech off Craig for many many years and so have plenty of other makers, he posts wood all over Australia, Cheers Paul.
Davent View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2014 at 10:10pm
Good onya Paul, will give em a go soon.
I now have a great work shop, seriously thinking about tooling up with an over head router set up, just need to get some good info on how to set up and teach myself how to use it! Lol!
guess its still away off yet.
CaptainCranky View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2014 at 12:14pm
Try Jim McConnachie in Mareeba.He is on the site.
The Journey is the Reward

Balls View Drop Down

Scurvy Dog Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2015 at 1:05pm
G'day Davent/All

Sorry for the delayed response,had access problems for a while & still tend to miss a lot of posts, as for White Beech & really good timbers in Darwin, I think there is more chance of finding Rocking Horse Shit.

I recently picked up some logs that were cut down & left lying on the footpath in Palmerston, I have them drying out, reasonably straight fine grained & light,once I find out what it is I'll let you know as it obviously grows locally & maybe an option besides White Beech.

I have been helping out a few other lure makers who wish to just make lures for themselves and not be invloved in forums etc, I'll have a yak to them & see where they are sourcing their timbers if locally.

Chris Hurt & I used to get Jelatong & Hoop Pine from the Snell Street Bunning when they got in in especially for customers, but I don't think the new Bunning have that sort of customer service, as with a lot of Darwin based businesses.

Lots of other timbers besides the White Beech that maybe cheaper & easier to sources, Cellery Top Pine, Milkwood, Jelaton etc, cheers Balls.
Scurvy Dog
goldtrev68 View Drop Down
Ex Member.
Ex Member.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldtrev68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2015 at 2:04pm
I hate to say this but a WHITE BEECH TREE seems the logical answer....just saying....Gary
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2015 at 4:18pm
Dave, I'm away at the moment, but I can let you have some. Don't know if it will suit your general lure size however. I've had a large piece cut for me which Bruce Moller brought back from Qld.
As I don't make larger lures, the longest billet is 4.5". Been meaning to return your visit, like to see your new shed. Will get intouch when I return in late March.
Regards, Tony.
"Always Merry and Bright"
Davent View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2015 at 5:16pm
great! Look forward to having a cold one with you on your return!
Blinky View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Blinky's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blinky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2015 at 12:37pm
Mate, I just got 5.5 m (25 x 245 mm) of White Beech from Anagote Timbers, 144 Renwick St, Marrickville NSW 2204, Ph. (02) 9558 8444 for about 150 bucks.
Blinky.

Blinky's Lures.
The lures that catch fish, not fishermen.........
Facebook
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic