LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures > Timbers for lure making
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Western Red Cedar

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Western Red Cedar
    Posted: 04 Oct 2014 at 6:52pm
Western Red Cedar

Scientific Name: Thuja plicata

Distribution: Pacific Northwest United States/Canada

Average Dried Weight: 23 lbs/ft3 (370 kg/m3)

Specific Gravity (Basic, 12% MC): .31, .37

Colour/Appearance: Heartwood reddish to pinkish brown, often with random streaks and bands of darker red/brown areas. Narrow sapwood is pale yellowish white, and isn’t always sharply demarcated from the heartwood.

Grain/Texture: Has a straight grain and a medium to coarse texture.

Workability: Easy to work with both hand or machine tools, though it dents and scratches very easily due to its softness, and can sand unevenly due to the difference in density between the earlywood and latewood zones. Glues and finishes well. Iron-based fasteners can stain and discolour the wood, especially in the presence of moisture.

Odour: Western Red Cedar has a strong, aromatic scent when being worked.

Allergies/Toxicity: Although severe reactions are quite uncommon, Western Red Cedar has been reported as a sensitizer. Usually most common reactions simply include eye, skin, and respiratory irritation, as well as asthma-like symptoms and nervous system effects.

"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

brian1960 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brian1960 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2016 at 6:13am
Hi Darby I am going to try some wrc as you have said it is fairly soft is it better to use cross grain or with the grain .

Cheers brian
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2016 at 8:34am
Ive always gone with the grain brian, no worries, but it can be a bit knotty in the older timber, when sanding back the grain can be really hard and leaves the surface uneven at times otherwise its good to use.
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
Blinky View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Blinky's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blinky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2016 at 10:53am
If the lure is going to be fished with go with the grain always Brian, otherwise it will split and fall away. For Nudes and other display lures across grain comes up beautifully.
You'll also need to harden it prior to painting.
And make sure you cover up, the dust very fine and is quite toxic.
It is a great timber to make lures from, 99% of mine are WRC.
Blinky.

Blinky's Lures.
The lures that catch fish, not fishermen.........
Facebook
brian1960 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brian1960 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2016 at 11:40am
thanks Blinky I know it is toxic but thought I would give it a go .Thanks for the advice and I will have to get a wood hardner what do you suggest  .
thanks Brian
brian1960 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brian1960 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2016 at 11:44am

Thanks Jason I will give it a go on a few lures and see how it goes .Also it was good to meet you and the rest of the crew that were there at Glenlyon no fish but a enjoyable weekend Thanks

Cheers Brian
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2016 at 11:51am
Hopefully see you next year again brian was good to catch up mate and look through your lures.
Jas
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
brian1960 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brian1960 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2016 at 12:18pm
Thankyou Jason and it was good to have a look at your lures with all the different shapes you have and if all goes to plan I will see you in Ipswich mid year at the expo

Cheers Brian
Blinky View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Blinky's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blinky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2016 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by brian1960 brian1960 wrote:

thanks Blinky I know it is toxic but thought I would give it a go .Thanks for the advice and I will have to get a wood hardner what do you suggest  .
thanks Brian

I use thinned 2 part epoxy......Etex, West System, Glass even Araldite works a treat.
Blinky.

Blinky's Lures.
The lures that catch fish, not fishermen.........
Facebook
brian1960 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brian1960 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2016 at 9:25pm
will look into it thankyou

Cheers brian
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic