LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures > Timbers for lure making
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Camphor Laurel

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Camphor Laurel
    Posted: 04 Oct 2014 at 6:54pm
Camphor, Camphor Laurel

Scientific Name: Cinnamomum camphora

Distribution: Native to southeast Asia, widely planted throughout tropical and subtropical regions worldwide

Average Dried Weight: 33 lbs/ft3 (520 kg/m3)

Specific Gravity (Basic, 12% MC): .43, .52

Colour/Appearance: Colour can be highly variable depending on species and growing conditions; generally a light brown, frequently with shades of grey, red, or olive green. Occasionally contains darker streaks. Paler sapwood isn’t always clearly differentiated from the heartwood. Burls are also commonly seen, and are considered highly decorative.

Grain/Texture: Grain can be straight, interlocked, and/or wavy. Uniform medium texture with a high natural lustre and a slightly greasy feel.

Workability: Camphor’s moderate density makes it easy to shape and machine with minimal effort. Areas of interlocked grain may cause tear out issues, but complications are usually minimal. Glues and finishes well.

Odour: Camphor has a very characteristic odour, for which the tree is named. The most recognizable product that contains the extracts of camphor are medicated chest rubs, which have the same distinct scent.

Allergies/Toxicity: Camphor has been reported to cause skin and respiratory irritation, as well as a number of other effects, such as headaches, giddiness, and asthma-like symptoms.

"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

Steve B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2014 at 7:05pm
How does Campor Laurel go as a lure material? I have a fairly large flitch of it.
Cheers Steve
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2014 at 7:17pm
Steve, it is good stuff and great for nudes if there is some good colour and grain in it. Have a look at Nicho's nudes to get some idea of how it comes up.
The only little trick is to make sure its nice and dry.
If it is reluctant to take paint because of high oil content, a dip in thinners and drying over night will help the paint adhere.

Brad

Steve B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2014 at 7:34pm
Thanks Brad
It's well dry, would be at least 20 years old, I have red cedar flitches that old as well, I also have a large slab of Rosewood, 1800 x 600 x 50 is Rosewood any good for lures or should I make a coffee table? I have a flitch of (I think) Rosewood the same size as well. I like this new section, went to bunnings and bought some Indonesian Mahogany Garden Stakes today, they look good too!!
Cheers Steve
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2014 at 8:51pm
Rosewood, Nth Qld or New Guinea type is nice, at the heavy end of the lure timber scale though. Again makes a nice nude, or if you fiddle around with shapes, will yeild a slow sink or supending lure.
I should have it in the next round of timbers to post.

Brad

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic