LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Australian Lures > NSW Lures > John Bennett
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Timber or moulded?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jandles7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Timber or moulded?
    Posted: 28 Oct 2014 at 6:36pm
Hi Guys,

Pretty new to this forum, but it's a great place to share knowledge and collections!

Just have a question as I'm reasonably new to collecting Bennetts. What are the tell-tale differences or identifications to look for to tell the difference between moulded and timber?

Thanks in advance..,
bullrout22 View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bullrout22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2014 at 1:47pm
Jandles7

John Bennett did not make many molded lures,can you let us know what ones you are asking about?

Ill put up a picture or pictures of the molded ones I have later tonight
Dave
Dave Lake Macquarie N.S.W

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bullrout22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2014 at 7:31am
Some pictures of molded Lures and Timber

A timber Turtle

A molded Merlin

Timber Merlins Twisted wire

Screw in hook hangers

hopefully these pictures will help have some more will post up later

Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2014 at 4:20pm
Jandles, what Dave is saying is that John Bennet didn't personally make any moulded lures, the moulded ones were made after John sold the designs to others like Craftmaster who did moulded Turtles and the moulded minnow shaped Merlins and Baby Merlins.

And you should know that Dave really really REALLY likes Bennet lures Wink
"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

Jandles7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jandles7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2014 at 5:15pm
Appreciate the help, and photos Dave! So from what I can see, the main references to look for are the bib entrance to the lure and the tow points.

I believe the ones I've got are all timber going by your photo references. Any idea on how many colours were a standard in the Wide a Body merlins, as I reckon I'd be getting close to completing it. Have around 27 colours and variants all In 100% condition. Not a blemish on them

Darby, thanks for your help too! I can see he is an avid enthusiast!
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bullrout22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2014 at 6:24pm
Originally posted by Darby Darby wrote:

Jandles, what Dave is saying is that John Bennet didn't personally make any moulded lures, the moulded ones were made after John sold the designs to others like Craftmaster who did moulded Turtles and the moulded minnow shaped Merlins and Baby Merlins.

And you should know that Dave really really REALLY likes Bennet lures Wink

Darby not quite right mate John did make molded Merlins in app 2006 he released them these are the ones below,also made under the name of Craftmaster Merlin cannot tell the difference between them the ones below are Merlin lures had these since app 1998 or 9
These was sold not exactly sure of when they went to Tasmania I think still being made today there to tell the difference between a Bennett lure it will have Wodonga [spelling] on packet on the front I got caught bying them and did not look at pkt
hope this helps will have to put up a post with more info about each lure

he released the deaper diving Merlin a few years later

These are molded Baby Merlins it is hard to tell the difference with the later Attack lures he released a round bibbed version and a harder to find pointy bib molded lure

the above and below have a circle on the bib the same as Attack lures very hard to tell the difference between them in some lures

He also later released one with out the circle under the bib very confusing isnt it LOLLOL

A pointy bib molded version

Be great to see your lures please put up a post about them be great to see them Clap
We might be able to help you with age if you put them up
Alsi look at the line tye this some times helps with different ones
How many colours do not know a lot mate

Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2014 at 7:18pm
Interesting Dave, I was always under the impression that the moulded minnows were after John,
Ya live and learn something everyday Ermm
"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bullrout22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2014 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by Darby Darby wrote:

Interesting Dave, I was always under the impression that the moulded minnows were after John,
Ya live and learn something everyday Ermm

Darby

There is a lot still to learn about our lure makers the lures they made for us,will we ever learn about them hopefully yes mate we learn some thing new every day about them and there lures

I forgot to add the molded Merlin was made by Paul Nicel for John when he had a tackle shop this side of the Victorian border cant remember the town's name
this one

Jandles7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jandles7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2014 at 7:41pm
Certainly know your info! Much appreciated.

Correct me if I am wrong, but Bennett was based out of Albury/Wodonga which rests on the NSW/VIC border?
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bullrout22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2014 at 9:21pm
Originally posted by Jandles7 Jandles7 wrote:

Certainly know your info! Much appreciated.

Correct me if I am wrong, but Bennett was based out of Albury/Wodonga which rests on the NSW/VIC border?

Jandles7

Yes you are right,remembered the town name he had the shop in  Lavington NSW [spelling]

This is where he and ? bugga cannot remember name help Laurie started to make Attack Lures could be wrong been wrong plenty of times ConfusedLOLLOL

Jandles7 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jandles7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2014 at 12:16pm
His shop? Maybe Bluey's tackle?? Ring a bell?

Here are some of my Widebodies: After your help, they all look like timber. Correct?

lead lure View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lead lure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2014 at 12:27pm
Nice collection I think you might of lifted Daves hart rate

Cheers Graeme
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bullrout22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2014 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by lead lure lead lure wrote:

Nice collection I think you might of lifted Daves hart rate

Cheers Graeme

Yes Graeme nothing better than looking at Merlins and John Bennett lures they are awsome

Jandles7 

A top lot of Widebody lures they are awsome thanks for showing us
yes all Timber lures mate
No not Blueys his shop not sure when opened and closed and im sure it was at Lavington NSW

Bigriver View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Kneller Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2014 at 4:44pm
Yep it was in Lavington, John was buying Deceptions of us (like selling sand to the Arabs) and I called in one time on my way to Mulwala and delivered some to him, from memory he had an area out the back where he was working on lures. At that time he was doing the molded Deep Merlins probably 1994-5ish? Cheers Paul
NQ FISH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NQ FISH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2015 at 12:27am
Very Nice collection. They are a pretty schmick looking lure
Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2015 at 6:15am
Very interesting thread, thanks for the info and photos.

Regards John
NQ FISH View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NQ FISH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2015 at 11:54pm
Does anybody have any to swap/trade
Cheers Chris
Bad days fishing is better than a good days work
Cheers chris
Yatesdavid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yatesdavid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2015 at 11:07am
I have a moulded turtle like that top one, should I put it away , it is actually in my tackle box to use this week
Dave
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic