LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Australian Lures > NSW Lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

W R Hardy's Carlton N S W "Goblin Spinner

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: W R Hardy's Carlton N S W "Goblin Spinner
    Posted: 16 Nov 2014 at 9:04am
Found in Captain Cranky's freshwater tackle box

Appears another new maker / manufacturer not recorded in the NSW section.

I presume it might be by Wal Hardy the writer could I be near the mark.

Note 4/6 on the card

A nice little pigeon pair nothing recorded on the reverse of the card..

i do not ever remember seeing them  in the stores in Tassie.

Age, and how long were they sold, anybody have any idea

Were there any other lures on the market by the same person.

Regards John

RKKS View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RKKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2021 at 10:26am
Hello, I know this is a very old post but I thought I'd let you know that yes, Wal Hardy (author of Saltwater Angler and 2 essays in the Scream of the Reel 1966) was the manufacturer of this brand.

Source: I'm his great granddaughter and his daughter (my grandmother) has shown me relevant documentation 
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2021 at 7:19pm
Cheers for the confirmation RKKS. This lure is very similar to a seabass lure sill being sold in England. They work extremely well and if I could find those that I bought wen I was last over there then I would take then out on the reef.
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2021 at 6:48am
thanks appreciate your reply

Regards John
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2021 at 12:34am
gday John,Smile. Wow learning that that lure was made by Wal hardy who had stories in the scream of the reel(which ive read) is really interesting,Thanks RKKS for the confirmation and to you too John for putting up this story all those years ago
that's no how ye make porridge!
kayargh1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kayargh1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2021 at 4:19pm
I don't want to divert attention away from John's comments concerning the Goblin Spinners but I have found the revival of this post quite interesting. In Wal Hardy's book The Saltwater Angler and also in the 1970s editions of the Gregory's Fishing Guide that he edited, there appeared a famous old picture of a daughter of Wal's (perhaps RKKS's grandmother?) literally standing between two bloody great mulloway hanging down from a pole passed through their gills. Perhaps not an image for current times but I was away at Boarding School then and that picture made a lasting impression on me. Regards, Ken.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic