LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures > Lure Making Articles
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My Type Of Lure

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My Type Of Lure
    Posted: 28 Dec 2014 at 9:05pm
   'RAYNA' ---Free Range Lures
peterayn@yahoo.com.au
jebe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jebe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2014 at 9:53pm
Great find Pete
I would love to go back in time and see all the innovative bits and pieces just like this one we have lost.. so many skills and old world technology's gone in to the ether  
Thanks for sharing
Justin
Davent View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Davent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2014 at 10:54pm
Saw a way aboriginal people caught barra in the past.
technically its a lure, but.....
requires the right place and conditions to be used succesfully.....just like modern lures.

now heres the kicker, will try to describe the it the best I can.

requires a line of some sort, a short, thin, strong stick, and a mangrove leaf or similar.

Tie the line to the centre of the stick or bone, then pierce the mangrove leaf through both ends with the stick/bone.
Now tie a half hitch around one end of the bone(towards the angler, not the free end of the leaf)

Now you need a current running towards a snag, ideally you would be on a bend of a creek, so just water in front of you, maybe a creek junction.

feed the leaf in the current, and drift the leaf into the snag, or structure.
now retrieve the leaf in short sharp jerks, like a popper. When it gets boofed, you strike pretty hard, the half hitch breaks free, and the stick, or bone is now pulled from the centre, and is wedged side ways in the barras throat.

hope it makes sense, I will try it in the runoff this year, video it.
I saw this done about 15 years ago by a countryman in arhnem land, and I felt like a right cock with my $1000 barra outfit and hundreds of bucks worth of lures on me!
Atheism is a non prophet organisation
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic