Forum Home Forum Home > Australian Lures > QLD Lures > Richos
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Richo Lures by Ken Richardson

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
ABU Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abuadmiral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Richo Lures by Ken Richardson
    Posted: 13 Sep 2010 at 12:08pm

Richo Lures

by

Ken Richardson

His lures for sale are wooden and made from white beech but he does make flies and spinner-baits for personal use.

Like many of us, Ken is happy to chat and share his experiences in lure making and has even crafted a few one-off Saratoga flies and spinner baits for my use.

Ken originally came from Roma SW Qld and thence has a strong freshwater background remembering using suitable tree branches as rods before he moved to Bamboo, some time ago now!

His first lure was a Macrame bead lure with single treble lure for Bass.

Once a great fan of ABU , especially the thumb-bar models of the 70's. which incidentally are some of my favourites, he has now shifted allegiances away from the Asian made PF product. I have put him in touch with Jay Parker, reel builder extraordinaire ,  for a "decent" custom Ambassaeur.

His lures are available in a few outlets around Australia, viz Barra Jack's, Bluefin Sports in Rockhampton and The Lure Shop in Cooktown as well as Darwin but at present not sold from home.

Here we see the Herring in 3 different stages

Dip sealing one of my lures for me!

A range of Extractor blanks as supplied to Rocky Barra Bounty Competition in Fitzroy River.

Extractors at painting stage

Proof of the pudding so to speak, well used Richo lures!

Proof also that few lures/braid stand up to a 1.5m Barra

His range of lure include the

Extractor 90, 110, 140mm (depth 2/3/5 m+)

Sardine 90 mm

Little Terror 70 mm

Herring 65mm

Colour charts of available colours

Hope you have enjoyed reading of a local manufacturer with lures which produce the goods!  

Tight Lines
Wayne Real
Tony View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2010 at 1:12pm
G'day Wayne,

Thank you to both yourself and Ken for sharing the story of Ken and his Richo Lures Clap

I have a few of Ken's lures in my Barra arsenal as well Thumbs Up

I've moved your post in to the Richo's section, and placed a link in the list of Luremaker Biographies, at the top of the Bio thread  Smile

Cheers, Tony

For the love of Fishing Lures.
simon bruce View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simon bruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2010 at 1:16pm
Great Post Wayne, well done.
CaptainCranky View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2010 at 1:29pm
Nice reading Wayne.Well done.Thankyou to Ken
The Journey is the Reward

Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2010 at 1:58pm
Well done wayne and ken, thanks for sharing.
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
Abuadmiral View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
ABU Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abuadmiral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2010 at 2:13pm
It was my pleasure meeting Ken a few months ago, and building on our friendship to end in his inviting me to his home to do this. I also got some much needed pointers with my fly rod. A nice deer hair fly lure made and guaranteed by Ken, to catch me a 'toga was made for especially for me!
I was thrilled and so I will be able to try baitcasting and fly fishing for them.
When my new Champagne Gold 2500 UT Ambassadeur arrives in a week,  I am going to chase some Tarpon with Ken up in Iwasaki area (Ridges Resort, Cap Coast)
This reel (bottom of page) is worth looking at ie [pict and linked spec 1.5 Mb doc file
http://www.realsreels.com/personal/Ulf%20%20UT%20Tecnology/significantabufriendsUlfTingstrom.aspx
This IS the pinnacle of Ambassadeur reel development as you will see he creates his own bearing sets, spools, etc AND sells upgrade kits. Check out the link to his website, it is in Swdish but worth the effort to decipher.
You can't tell the other half what this costs...
cheers
Wayne

Tight Lines
Wayne Real
darcymenchin View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Mencho Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darcymenchin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2010 at 2:40pm
Good afternoon Wayne .
Great thread these lures look absolutely beautiful ,thanks for the couple that you sent us I cant wait to use them.
Regards Darcy.

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
ABU Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abuadmiral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2010 at 4:13pm
I like to say I'll swim the python to test but its a one -off show off piece mate!
i take it you have swum it now?
A week till the holidays so a bit more fishing to be had if the weather is kind.
Don't forget the photos mate, kids, gear, fish and I'll pop them up on site!
later
Wayne
Tight Lines
Wayne Real
Craig View Drop Down

Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2010 at 4:19pm
Love Ken's work, mostly the Little Terror. 
Must admit if you ask around Rockhampton he is a be of a local legend.
Could we get a bit of info on the hand writing. I have a few different ones and I'm told that they are different family members.
Tagged and released
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
ABU Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abuadmiral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2010 at 4:23pm
Yes mate
I had heard of Ken for many years, never met , until now and the interest in adding details to LL caught me up in it.
Re the handwriting, that is true , (I recon he and I should both have been doctors!)
His wife and son and himself do the lure cards so therefore the differences.
I like the Herring or the extractor best! Horses for courses or Fishes for Dishes I guess would be better!

cheers
wayne
Tight Lines
Wayne Real
Craig View Drop Down

Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Craig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2010 at 4:25pm
Any chance of showing us who's is who's ?
Tagged and released
Stephen Booth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stephen Booth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2010 at 9:17am
Richo Lures are sensational, good to see some background.

Even I can catch fish on them so they must be goodLOL
LOL
Painted sticks with hooks sure, but they are oh soooo nice!
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
ABU Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abuadmiral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2010 at 9:30am
Hi Stephen
I'll tell him...lots concur

cheers
wayne

Tight Lines
Wayne Real
Stephen Booth View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stephen Booth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2010 at 9:34am
Please do - I could fill a box or five with them ! Best to date on one was a 1.06m Awoonga fish, but lots more Weipa barra have enjoyed chewing on them. And jacks get very angry on the smaller models. Unheralded but highly regarded work.
Painted sticks with hooks sure, but they are oh soooo nice!
tooch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Twitchy Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2010 at 9:39am
Hi Wayne , thanks for putting up this Bio on Ken's lures...ClapClapClapClap
It's good to have a look at how some of these unique Aussie luremakers
Go about there trade and It's good for the cottage lure Industry as well...
ClapClapClapClap.....Pete.
I'd rather be fishing with

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
ABU Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abuadmiral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2010 at 9:40am
Alistair was enquiring about local lures for Jacks so he will appreciate you observations mate
TL
wayne
Tight Lines
Wayne Real
Wishin I was fishin' View Drop Down
Beginner Member
Beginner Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wishin I was fishin' Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2011 at 3:00pm
Hi does anyone know how to get in contact with ken about getting some lures from him I'm having trouble finding anyone that sells them.
:)
Aussbasstony View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussbasstony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2011 at 3:21pm
Originally posted by Wishin I was fishin' Wishin I was fishin' wrote:

Hi does anyone know how to get in contact with ken about getting some lures from him I'm having trouble finding anyone that sells them.
:)

Tackle wharehouse Brisbane have plenty on the shelf for sale. 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic