LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Australian Lures > QLD Lures > Deep River Lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"Barra Cannibal" Evolution.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colsel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Barra Cannibal" Evolution.
    Posted: 21 Jan 2015 at 2:21pm
Barney's "Barra Cannibal" lures have long been a personal favourite of mine amoung his impressive range of models. Over the years there has been some evolution within their design which I have tried to illustrate with the photo below.

Lengths include 100mm, 110mm and 90mm models with the 90mm version having the option of either a shallow or deep bib.

Various colour schemes have been used with my photo showing the Olive pattern. A more recent initiative has been the incorporation of a black lateral line down the side. The first of these lateral lines was drawn on using a pen, while the later ones have been painted on.

Hopefully this information will have some historical relevance for other Deep River Lure tragics such as myself.

Regards,
Col

samurai View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
JaySea Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samurai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2015 at 3:00pm
What a beautiful looking lureThumbs Up

Samurai
reelsandlures63 View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reelsandlures63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2015 at 3:12pm
dam that tony does some great work, thanks for sharing them sel
matt fraser View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Barambah Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matt fraser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2015 at 3:52pm
Geez Col, you have a Knack of stocking up on the classiest lures! Very, very nice!

Cheers,

Matt
simon bruce View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simon bruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2015 at 6:59pm
Nice school of barra cannibals.
the fish aren't art critics
gimme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gimme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2015 at 7:18pm
Only have a couple of the later models. Great to see some earlier models against the later ones. Thanks for posting.
Plastic is for storing lures, not making them.
colsel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colsel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 9:28am
Thought that I'd add a couple more items relating to the "Barra Cannibal" design evolution.

Firstly, I recently came across(and "borrowed") the following photo which illustrates the earliest "Barra Cannibal" lure that I have found a reference of to date. It is a 100mm shallow bibbed version and would date to late 2011/early 2012.

Secondly, the next photo documents the various colour patterns that Anthony uses for his "Barra Cannibal" lures. These include Swampy, Silver Salty, BGS(Black/Gold/Silver), Patch, Olive and Golden Barra.

Further, if you study the photo closely you will notice that the top left(Swampy) and bottom left(Olive) lures have slightly larger bibs than the rest. These two are examples of the latest refinement that Anthony introduced mid way through last year(June 2015). The lures have been "bulked-up" a bit and fitted with larger bibs.

Close-up of the bib variation - most recent on LHS.

One observation that only dawned on me recently is the consistent use of red coloured eyes on all of Anthony's "Barra Cannibal" lures. Interestingly, he does not seem to use red eyes on any of his other models. Knowing the thought that Anthony puts into his lure designs I'm sure that this is not just a coincidence, and would be curious to hear the reasoning behind it.

Regards,
Col
Blinky View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Blinky's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blinky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 10:25am
Originally posted by colsel colsel wrote:

One observation that only dawned on me recently is the consistent use of red coloured eyes on all of Anthony's "Barra Cannibal" lures. Interestingly, he does not seem to use red eyes on any of his other models. Knowing the thought that Anthony puts into his lure designs I'm sure that this is not just a coincidence, and would be curious to hear the reasoning behind it.

Regards,
Col

I reckon it's due to Barra having red eyes and these lures are meant to emulate a baby Barra.......
Blinky.

Blinky's Lures.
The lures that catch fish, not fishermen.........
Facebook
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by Blinky Blinky wrote:

Originally posted by colsel colsel wrote:

Regards,
Col

I reckon it's due to Barra having red eyes and these lures are meant to emulate a baby Barra.......

Exactly what I was thinking - when you shine a spotlight in the drying up lagoons up north, not all of the red eyes are crocs, especially when there is only one eye on it's own.

Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
Kimo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 1:23pm
They Look good.
I am of to Exmouth WA in May. Have been there twice before but this time because I am now retired I am intending to go higher around the top to Darwin and back down the center to home.
I have never fished for Barra , Jacks ect or for that matter any of the Northern River /Creek species, but am intending to put a bit of time in on them this trip.
Thanks to LL member Bilg there is a very slight chance that I may be able to cast a lure by time I leave, he has done all he can to make that happen, just that some people are slow learners.
I already have probably more lures than I and 10 other people would ever use on the trip but gees I hate ta get there and find out the one I should have taken was this one
So I guess the questions I would like to ask is
1 do they swim as good as they look
2 Do they actually catch Barra or are they just named that way
3 If the answer is yes to all the above where can I buy a couple
Cheers Kimo     
Fysshe Salmon View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 2:37pm
Kimo, they certainly work!! Smile We tested a few up here a couple of years ago and got good results...

Fysshe
Fysshe Salmon View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 2:41pm
Deep River lures by Anthony Barnard. You can PM him @ barneyminno. Cheers Ian
Fysshe
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 6:55pm
Can vouch for Tony's lures - very well made and thought out = great fish catchersThumbs Up
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
jaybonnie View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybonnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 8:07pm
Love the Barra Cannibals and i have been trying to get some for agesThumbs Up
THE CODFATHER
Davent View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2016 at 6:46am
caught some nice barra on these lures, so yes,they catch fish.
Don't forget that in Qld, there is a closed season, when barra become "Pink eye perch" to some.....barra have red eyes when the light is put on them, so thats why the red eyes.
Atheism is a non prophet organisation
barneyminno View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Deep River Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote barneyminno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2016 at 7:08am
Originally posted by Kimo Kimo wrote:

They Look good.......
So I guess the questions I would like to ask is
1 do they swim as good as they look
2 Do they actually catch Barra or are they just named that way
3 If the answer is yes to all the above where can I buy a couple
Cheers Kimo     

Hi Kimo,

'Barra Cannibals' are made for fishing flats , drains , shallow areas with a slow-moderate roll and twitch retrieve , to make it look like a sick baby barra. They don't like a quick retrieve because of the bulky 'fin and tail section'. [as most lures have a tapering tail ].

Slow to moderate trolling also works well.

Of the 150 or so I've made , I think 3 people have fished these and caught Barra on them. Most of them have ended up in collections.

I'm working on a new version now. Still 110mm long and shallow diver only.

Barney.

gimme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gimme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2016 at 8:13am
Yes they do catch Barra. I have caught a smallish one (so far) but no picture to prove it. I can be a bit slack on photos. Rather be fishing than taking photos but trying to change. They do have a nice action but as Barney says. Workem slow and twitch.
Working on getting some bigger fish on them Barney and photos this time.
Dave during the closed season (1st November to 1st February) I prefer to call them Pink Eyed Salmon. I have also heard them called Pink Eyed Jumping Silver Cod. If you can track some down I would recommend them for sure.
Plastic is for storing lures, not making them.
Davent View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2016 at 10:31am
Barney, plenty of the ones you sold up here have been used, I know a bloke who found one in the mangroves at buff creek, he had no idea what it was.
I have lost one to snag, and caught a hand full of little barra,s on on one that had a paint issue, remember the brown beech issue?
They are top lures for shallow, slow rolling or twitching.
They look great, but like all of Barney,s lures, they catch fish.
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2016 at 3:16pm
I won't fish mine, too nice. Hanging on my lure wall.
Seaweed.
"Always Merry and Bright"
Kimo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2016 at 5:17pm
Thanks Guys I guess the answer is in. Ill need to get a few and give them a run
Most of the responses That have been posted seem to indicate that they have worked on the Eastern Sea Board. As I said I have never done any of this type of fishing in the creeks and rivers, But I have had a few boat rides up a few of the rivers /Creeks in both Pt Douglas and Cardwell. Both waters were reasonably clean in comparison to what I have seen of the WA Creeks /Rivers which are murky, muddy and very tidal. I have gained this information from TV, and DVD`s on the area so it can`t be wrong Lol.
Seriously I have no Idea, but am expecting a lot of murky water and hoping I do not get left high and dry on some of the inlets above Dampier and Broom. I am not sure if we will do the Gibb River Road as we will be carrying a lot of weight and I to old to be sitting on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere with a stuffed wheel bearing or broken springs /shockers. However to not do this road may mean we miss a lot of good Barra water, so we will look at it when the time comes, or may swag it in part of the way ???
Once inland a bit I think the water clears up a lot in places crystal.
I`m not sure that I can deliver the goods in regards to fish and do justis to any of these lures. All I have at this stage is a great desire to get there and give it a go and the fear of sitting high and dry in one of them tidal rivers surounded by crocs, or sitting around the caravan park of a night in the happy hour and being the only one not catching Barra and thinking I should have bought some Barra Cannibals with me
Thanks Guys Kimo              
hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2016 at 5:59pm
Never seen these before Col, beautiful things as is all of the other lures Barney makes -- thanks for posting.
Pete
   'RAYNA' ---Free Range Lures
peterayn@yahoo.com.au
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2016 at 1:06pm
Kimo, you won't have trouble access wise in May, run-off (if we get one, turning out to be another poor wet) will be well and truly over. Trouble is, the longer into the dry and cooler water, the harder it will be to catch barra, they don't like cooling water and tend to get lock-jaw for lure fishing.
Having said that, the fish still need to feed, so later in the day in shallower creeks is your best chance, when water has warmed, but watch out for 'snapping handbags'.
For that big trip, you don't want to leave without catching a barra, I suggest a local guide for at least one trip around Darwin.
Drop into Fishing & Outdoor World, cnr.Cavenagh & Knuckey Sts. Darwin CBD, talk to George or his son Ronnie, I do know Matty West and Chris Hurt take clients out in the harbour, to catch them a barra.
Hopefully, you've caught one in your journey thru the Kimberley, but if not, they'll get you one or two.
Regards, Seaweed.
"Always Merry and Bright"
Davent View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2016 at 5:30pm
The one thing about barra that Ive noticed is that consistant weather = consistant fishing, any sudden changes = change in fishes habits that at best can be described as unpredictable.
Kimo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kimo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2016 at 6:51pm
Thanks for the tips Davent & Seaweed.
I realize the time of the year is against me, some where I lost control of the dates for the trip. I always enjoyed March at Exmouth weather is good still plenty of Bill fish and the spanyards are starting to turn up. It was originally planed for March and probably home somewhere around mid June or when the money runs out.
the brother in law always wanted to do Exmouth so he asked if he could do the first bit of the trip with us, no problems until he applied for his holidays, He is NSW Fire Brigade and holidays are hard to obtain when you want them so it finished up being May.
May has its for and against, Probably not the best Barra time and being inexperienced with them makes it a bit harder But i will definitely. give it a good go, The creeks and rivers should be great along the western coast especially when the wind is blowing, and off shore is not an option. I have never caught any of the fish likely to be found in them so every one is winner for me.       
colsel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colsel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2017 at 9:01am
UPDATE

During the past 12 months I've become aware of a couple of additional variations that I thought worthy of adding to this record.

Firstly, a 100mm model with yellow/black eyes. This is the only example of a "Barra Cannibal" lure that I have come across which doesn't have the usual red eyes.

Secondly, a 110mm lure fitted with a deep bib instead of the normal shallow set up.

And finally, a large 120mm version which I was totally unaware even existed.

Regards,
Col
colsel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colsel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2018 at 5:51pm
I was elated earlier today to receive a parcel in the mail that allowed me to fill in a significant gap in my DRL "Barra" collection. For some time now I have been on the lookout for one of the very early models with yellow eyes. From my observations there can't have been too many painted in that manner as they are quite scarce by comparison to the standard red-eyed version. I must say a big thank you to "Ducks"(John Ducksbury) for his assistance to help make this happen.

The photo below shows the lure in question(at top) along with two other early models for comparison purposes. It's a great feeling when you can fill in a missing piece of the puzzle and tell the whole story.
Col

Ducks View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2018 at 5:56pm
Easy to see I made the right decision letting it go
colsel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colsel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2022 at 8:06pm
A small selection of Barra Cannibal lures that are painted with the "Patch" colour scheme. Closer inspection will reveal some significant variations within the group as their design progressed.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic