LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Metals - Jigs, Spoons, Slices and Vibes
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lexan vibe bodies?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slothy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Lexan vibe bodies?
    Posted: 27 Jan 2015 at 12:18pm
Gday all!

I've been thinking again! Shocked

I've been meaning to get around to making some small prawn-style vibes to try on the local bream for a while now. 

It occurred to me that there might be some benefit in doing prawn imitations with a clear base to start from if I want to try and get them as realistic as possible.  Also lexan is easier to cut and tidy up than something like stainless. 

I've got plenty of 2 & 3mm here and the general plan is to cut the shape, drill tow and hanger holes, then add the ballast using sheet lead glued and pinned through the body.

Seems to me it should work, but I thought I'd throw the idea out there just to see if anyone could see any obvious flaws in the idea.

Cheers
Slothy

Tony Mc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Mc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2015 at 2:21pm
Sounds goodThumbs Up Look forward to seeing the finished productApprove
flyonline View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote flyonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2015 at 4:20pm
Slothy View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slothy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2015 at 4:53pm
For some reason I always get an error message if I try and view an embedded youtube vid on this site.
Slothy View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slothy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2015 at 4:59pm
I just realised I screwed up.  I was thinking about blade type lures like the Ecogear VX40, not a vibe!

Loser
flyonline View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote flyonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2015 at 5:11pm
Try now, I mis-copied the link sorry
Slothy View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slothy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2015 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by flyonline flyonline wrote:

Try now, I mis-copied the link sorry

Ta mate.... I can see fine now.

horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2015 at 6:13pm
Cool video, very interestingClapClapClap

Mick Levi who owns the tackle store in Yamba  NSW makes these-

Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
Slothy View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slothy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2015 at 6:40pm
Hmmmm..... Seems like it's doable then, if not original! LOL

Mine would be set up with the eyes at the rear end and rubber antennae trailing.

TJC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TJC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2015 at 7:08pm
I've made quite a few blades from polycarbonate now. I think you'll find 2-3mm sheet too thick. I started with 1.5mm and found the blades didn't start to vibrate as fast or at as slow a speed as 1mm.

I've mainly focused on 30-50mm blades like ZX's, VX's and TT's, but have also made a few larger prawn shapes too. I think 2mm would be fine for larger lures.

I glue shaped lead sheet onto the poly using epoxy. at the moment i only use 5 min as i dont want to spend too much time on them (too easy to snag!) But I have had occurrences of the lead coming off from a solid impact in the past. Glueing the head and belly weights on gives great flexibility in varying weights.

I have just painted mine in solid patterns but still get a nice see through appearance in the sun. I've been meaning to make a few clear ones.

I recommend using the smallest clip you are comfortable in using for the attachment, this will help maximize action.

I'll try and post pics later

Big-Pete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big-Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2015 at 8:32pm
I purchased some printed circuit board from China very cheap and very strong. I used to cut it out with a jewellers saw but ended up making a punch for cutting out the shapes.

I also made a punch for cutting out the lead, quick and easy.

Big-Pete
TJC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TJC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2015 at 8:44pm
Here is the last batch of Poly / Lexan blades I made, my version of a TT / VX45 hybrid. *Note, I only fit the tow clip when I fish them.

TJC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TJC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2015 at 8:52pm
A few more. 65mm prawn, VX/TT shape in 35 and 45mm, ZX30 shape. As you can see, I am experimenting with a single hook on the rear to reduce snagging, haven't noticed any significant impact on hooking fish..

TJC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TJC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2015 at 8:54pm
The jury is still out on how well 1mm poly will handle a large fish, I have caught flathead up to 65cm without damage to the blade, just ensure you leave a 'bit of meat' around the drill hole for the hook split ring.

Big-Pete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big-Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2015 at 8:55pm
All look good to me, looks like you have been very busy.

Big-Pete
Slothy View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slothy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2015 at 9:02pm
Thanks TJC! That's very much what I had in mind, particularly the bottom right.

If I get sick of sanding chunks of tomato stake tomorrow I might make up some printed stencils and cut a few experimental shapes out. Smile
Bigriver View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Kneller Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigriver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2015 at 10:03pm
I have been making my small poly Shake & Bakes for 5 or 6 years now and you get buggar failure in 1mm Poly, my bigger ones are on 1.5mm
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2015 at 9:40pm
they use polycarbonate for bullet proof glass,recon that's proof enough how tough it is
that's no how ye make porridge!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic