Forum Home Forum Home > Australian Lures > QLD Lures > Local Lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Meeting with Ron Henderson.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Barambah Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote matt fraser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Meeting with Ron Henderson.
    Posted: 08 Feb 2015 at 12:22pm
I was very fortunate to be able to meet with Ron Henderson on the weekend, and also his wife Maureen. Now living in a retirement village on the North side of Brisbane. It was great to sit on his back patio and listen to stories of his life, whilst browsing over lures.

Ron has been making lures since the late 70s in Brisbane, he then went on the road travelling and often sold his lures along the way. These were nicknamed Local Lures and the name stuck.

During his travels, he and Maureen were in Cairns for the wet season, and he was in Erskine's all the time, so asked Jack for a job. He started doing one day a week, before too long it was two, then three days. Before long he was fulltime, and stayed on for ten years and became manager.

When he was in Cairns, in the 80s he became mates with guys like Terry Leadbetter and Jeff Reid. He often dropped in for a visit, and was usually roped into spraying a batch of lures in undercoat, or helping out with various jobs, as these guys were so busy trying to keep up with orders. He learnt a few things off these guys along the way.

Ron has lived a full life, and much of it based around fishing. He has done more than most of us could ever imagine. Everything from bass, jacks and barra, to deckying on game boats, managing Erskine's in its heyday, and repping the best brands of tackle all up and down the QLD coast.

Many trips to Darwin both barra and game fishing, PNG was another regular destination. Somewhere in there he and Maureen made Henderson Handcrafts of capture flags, tool and lure pouches.

LOCAL LURES

Ron's lures are made to catch fish, not look pretty! He remarked how some of the current crop of lure makers are absolute artists, and that he didn't have the talent or the patience to make lures that pretty. But his lures are made by a fisherman to catch fish! 

Before he moved back to Brisbane a few years ago, Ron was selling his lures at the Cairns markets. And if someone bought back a photo of a fish caught on one of his lures, they would get a free lure. The photos flowed in of awesome barra, sooties and jacks! 

All Ron's lures are made from aged Silky Oak, and he is doing some great Nude sets with this as well. He has a big range of lures, too many for me to remember. All Ron's lures are signed with Local Lures on the belly of the lure, and the older ones were signed under the big - Leads/C Lures style.

Ron is still making lures, and always tinkering in the garage, which is well set up with all the tools to make his lures. He has a big bunch of lures always available for sale. I grabbed a framed nude set and a handful of barra/jack lures.

I will have to go back for a return visit. Ron has certainly lived a full life of fishing and I could sit and listen to his stories for hours.

Some of Ron's Older Lures

Barra/Jack Lures

Mangrove Munchies

Junior Munchies, Creek Hunters, Jack Treats and others.

Nude set

Signed bellies, and signed bibs on older models

A few Local Lures

Matt Fraser

steiny View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2015 at 12:31pm
Great post Matt. Ron and his wife are truly lovely people. His lures have loads of character and it is good hearing all the stories.
cheers steiny
rally44 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Lee's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rally44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2015 at 12:47pm
Well done Matt, very good tale of a top couple!! Ron sold heaps of my lures & poppers when he was repping up and down the Qld coast. Always a big rush to get another batch finished for his next trip!!! Cheers Richard.
Dads in the shed making saw-dust again.
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2015 at 1:19pm
Good story matt cheers mate
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
micknq View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micknq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2015 at 1:26pm
Good on ya Matt,had the pleasure of meeting and chatting with Ron at Richard Lee's place a while back, couldn't resist buying a few of his grouse nudes. Lovely bloke, everybody should have a couple of his lures either on the shelf or in the tacklebox.
bullrout22 View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bullrout22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2015 at 1:42pm
Here is a couple more of Rons lures

Dave Lake Macquarie N.S.W

samurai View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
JaySea Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samurai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2015 at 1:50pm
Ron is one of the industries true Gentlemen, Ron made  my JaySea lure pouches, he also made all the Tag and Release kits for both the Cooktown and Hinchinbrook barra comps which he many of  it was always great to see him and chat with at the comps. Matt the next time you see him please say hello for me.

Cheers Warren
bignanny View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
CAM Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bignanny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2015 at 1:52pm
Great story Matt, thanks for sharing, regards chris
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2015 at 3:04pm
Great read, thanks for posting, Ron is a gentleman and we have exchanged lures in the past, here abouts is one of his early ones.

Gee, I didn't realise he managed Erskines for 10yrs., means he would have had to put up with Cranky all that time LOL.
Seaweed.

"Always Merry and Bright"
Tony View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2015 at 5:12pm
Thank you for taking the time to share your visit with us Matt, a great read!

Cheers, Tony

For the love of Fishing Lures.
brendan t View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brendan t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2015 at 9:17pm
I have two of rons local lure set in my collection they are good show piece. Brendan t
fletch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Kuttafurra Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2015 at 9:39pm
awesome ..... love the couple sets I have ... best display way out I reckon ...they hang on the wall for all to see at all times instead of being tucked away in boxes .... would love to meet if possible when we make it up that way for the expo .
cheers aaron
matt fraser View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Barambah Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote matt fraser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2015 at 9:04am
Thanks for all the replies and showing more of Ron's lures. I hope I got all of the stories right, I didn't take any notes, so please don't quote me. It is great to learn more here thanks. Ron obviously met a lot of people in his travels and has a lot of respect in the fishing community.

Its great to have Lure Lovers to share these stories and history.

Cheers,

Matt

retiredron View Drop Down

Local Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote retiredron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2015 at 9:30am
Hi Fletch,
Only too happy to have you visit when you come up my way. Just give me a call anytime. Phone 0407739586 Email retiredron@bigpond.com
Address Brisbane Northside.   Ron
greybeard
Old Rattler View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Old Rattler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2015 at 11:25pm
G'day Ron, I had the pleasure of meeting your Son today, I was down a place called Point Perron WA this morning watching my mate flicking a lure around, and a bearded bloke about my age wandered past with rod in hand and he stopped and said gday, We started chatting and I immediately noticed the lure he had on his rod and had a closer look and asked him what it was and who made it, he mentioned your name and this site and have to say, your lures look bloody awesome, didn't catch his name tho, nice friendly bloke
fish3840 View Drop Down
Beginner Member
Beginner Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fish3840 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2016 at 8:36am
Hi OLd Rattler my name is Trevor Henderson it was great to have a chat with you that day as I was walking the beach and headlands of Peron point WA. flicking a couple of lures to see what was around .
I am on the lurer lovers site as well as fish3840 and yes Retiredron is my father and all round good bloke -Great mate .We have had some great fishing experiences together as I have lived in Cairns for 10yrs as well,then I moved to Weipa for 14 years, very hard fishing up that way .lol lol. While there worked as fishing guide/boat repairer part time/full time Boilermaker and had lots time to fish the whole of the Cape York QLD. by Boat or on a quad bike .I went over to Western Aust. for a couple of years with work and now am back in Brisbane .I have a 4.5 meter bluefin that has almost gone around Aust. and I can state that local lures do catch fish as I have quite a few and also had a few custom made in colours that like as well.< ="application/x-dap-" id="DAPPlugin" style="visibility: collapse">
fish3840
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic