LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > The Art of Fly Tying
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Foam Poppers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tincan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Foam Poppers
    Posted: 14 Feb 2015 at 12:48am
One for the fly guys.

http://cayugafisher.net/pages/vise/visedisp.php?p=Foam
You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.
disco stu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote disco stu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2015 at 9:14pm
That URL seems to be wrong, or they have changed the page.

I've actually been turning up a few fly popper heads myself lately, with the plan of using them on the flats like bream and whiting poppers. Seems they are a bit wind resistant to cast well on the 8wt.

Keen to see whats on that page
Simple......
Done poorly
Tincan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tincan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2015 at 9:30pm
Hmmm don't you hate that, it doesn't show for me now, but I did convert it to a PDF if you want it (232kb).
You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.
disco stu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote disco stu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2015 at 6:15pm
That would be great, cheers. Uploading here would benefit others too. I noticed the file upload lets you do PDF. Cheers
Simple......
Done poorly
disco stu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote disco stu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2015 at 10:28am
This is the article that mentioned here. Tincan sent it to me

I read a similar article that got my mind ticking on it, but this article is a lot better. I ended up making a little jig to sit the head on, and then put that in the drill, and while turning it on that I used the dremel to shape it. I like the drill bit idea for holding them, so I will give that a go and see how it goes in the dremel. I'll take a few photos of my process if anyone is interested

fly_popper_heads.pdf
Simple......
Done poorly
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2015 at 11:44am
that is a great article ,ive been making poppers similar to these but used a drill mine are way rough though.time to buy a die grinder methinks
that's no how ye make porridge!
disco stu View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote disco stu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2015 at 1:49pm
I don't know how I survived before I had a dremel......or the povo version that I do have. Use it daily
Simple......
Done poorly
Tincan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tincan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2015 at 2:34pm
Probably another good experiment to use metal golf sticks as a cutter for drills or stand alone, you get two for one, not my idea, got that one from Pete (Hazmail).

More idea and photo's the better.
flyonline View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyonline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2015 at 12:33pm
Brass hobby tube works great too, just file the inside of the cutting end to make it sharp and sleeve the tube with the next size up and down and you can run it in a drill press easily enough.
Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2015 at 9:21pm
Thanks for the computer thread interesting 

Those thongs on special for a $1-00 in Woolworths this week should be idea for material

Big Pete put up a different jig  system around 18 months ago that also works well.

Thanks

Regards John

puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2015 at 11:56am
that's cheap John and they're a tad more hygienic than the second hand ones you pick up out of the Brissy river.
that's no how ye make porridge!
Ducks View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2015 at 12:49pm
Yea but on the other hand you don't need that expensive UV paint to make the Brissy River ones glow in the dark.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic