LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Lure Discussion > Fishing with Lures > Fishing Tackle discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone Used A Calcutta 200D

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gimme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone Used A Calcutta 200D
    Posted: 16 Feb 2015 at 2:59pm
Hi, Just wondering if anyone has used a Calcutta 200D and their thoughts on them. Just had a play with one straight out of the box and they feel great, just wondering how they hold up over time and after a few fish.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Cheers
Col
Plastic is for storing lures, not making them.
dingo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2015 at 7:02pm
Col
Ive had a Calcutta 400 for about 15years.Love catching fish on it.I look after it really well and can't see any reason that the 200 would be any different.In my eyes a great strong reliable reel.
gdm
Mattya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mattya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2015 at 8:31pm
Col
Had a 200 for 8 years - caught everything from Jewies, cod and jelly bean yellow fin on it - every thing except Barra.
Done no more than wash, lube and store it correctly.
You won't go wrong buying one.
Out of curiosity what will you be targeting with it.
Fysshe Salmon View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2015 at 9:55pm
Col, just read a few reviews of the 200D from the U.S. Mostly favourable but a couple of Complaints about not being able to change brake weights on the fly. Usually not a problem for most anglers! The price seems good when compared to the "High End" Calcuttas. I've been using the old 200A for nearly 20yrs and the only work done on it was to put Carbontek drag washers in... I fish 20lb braid on it matched to an old Catana 6-8kg rod. Thumbs Up 
Fysshe
gimme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gimme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2015 at 5:12am
Thanks for the feedback Mattya and Dingo, I will be using it on big Barra, I hope/dreamin otherwise little ones will be fine too. I normally use low profile style reels for luring but I when I picked it up it just felt right, very solid.
Ian, I must have read the same reviews last night as well. Chaging weights on the fly is not as problem as I normally carry a couple of rods of different size rods if I am changing lure sizes. I too upgraded the drag washers to Carbontex's on my 250 (about a 15 year old reel) and it is still going strong.
Decisions, decisions. It will either be that one or another Quantum EXO at this stage. See what he budget looks like at the time of purchase.
Plastic is for storing lures, not making them.
Chep Buxley View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chep Buxley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2015 at 7:56am
Another option would be a Daiwa Luna. Very happy with both of mine. The cast control is much easier to access on the 2 smaller sizes. Don't know why Shimano haven't come up with a better way of doing it then their current system
plastic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plastic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2015 at 12:08am
Hi,
ive just bought one and have had a couple of sessions with it.
spooled with 30lb shinobi braid and to say im impressed is an understatement.
I was a bit dubious about no access to the casting weights on the fly(was nearly going to order a
JDM model as they have this ability) but decided what the heck shimano must have some sort of clue.
I threw 1/4 oz zman 4'' curly tails and paddletails and 13g transams wth just the one adjustment  and had no issues at all.
Love the ergonomics when its attached to the rod they are really onto it there the smaller side plate really sits in your palm and I
 am now a fan of the funny drag knob and having the handle close to the reel and this thing is smooooth out of the box(till first service anyway) and feels rock solid
This was a big spend for me but I am stoked with this reelSmileSmile and it will last 10 yrs for sure.

But I'm still going to upgrade the drag as soon as i get a chanceWink anyway.

CheersMichael
BarraKageBuster View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarraKageBuster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 6:44pm
just wondering is the 200 cast smallness better than say a 400 because after comparing the two i would get the 400. spools only a bit larger but does that account for better cast?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic