LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Fishing > Blast from the past
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1980's Fishing Show

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mackayaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1980's Fishing Show
    Posted: 28 Feb 2015 at 8:39pm
Would any of our older members remember the name of a fishing show and presenter from the early eighties (81,82) that used to air at lunch during the test cricket on the ABC? I can remember waiting for the lunch break when I was a kid just to watch it. His catch cry on every hook up was an enthusiastic "YES SIR!" Ring any bells????

Cheers Scotty
http://mackayakka.com/about/
Fysshe Salmon View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2015 at 9:28pm
It wasn't the show that John Mellion used to narrate? I still have a few VHS tapes.

Fysshe
Davent View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2015 at 8:19am
Go fish australiia.
the presenter was bob hatfield from a country practice, cant remember his real name
Atheism is a non prophet organisation
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2015 at 8:37am
Go Fish Australia.
Host John Meillon travels Australia over thirteen episodes, exploring the fishing opportunities there. A companion book saw print in 1988.
John Meillon
"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

mackayaker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mackayaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2015 at 7:04pm
Thanks guys
http://mackayakka.com/about/
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2015 at 9:16pm
We took him out to the South Alligator, he was injured during the series and had his arm in a sling. I remember sitting and having a few bevies with him after the days shooting. A very nice gentleman who was suffering with the heat, they shouldn't have dropped him into a post wet humid situation, I felt very sorry for him. He passed not too long after.
Seaweed.
"Always Merry and Bright"
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2015 at 10:37pm
Originally posted by Davent Davent wrote:

Go fish australiia.
the presenter was bob hatfield from a country practice, cant remember his real name

Gordon Piper, Dave...different fella
"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

Davent View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2015 at 11:17pm
Yeah, didnt watch much country practice!
You back home seaweed?
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2015 at 6:08pm
Dave, Go Fish Australia was definitely John Meillon, I should know I fished and drank with him out at the South Alligator R. c1987.
Not home yet, end of March I'll give you a call.
Seaweed.
"Always Merry and Bright"
hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2015 at 6:30pm
Gee I was only 6yo when that screened--------------------------I wish.
Pete
   'RAYNA' ---Free Range Lures
peterayn@yahoo.com.au
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2015 at 1:11pm
WHAT was the name of the show with ron calcutt spinning the back of HAT HEAD& smokie cape loved them shows land base game got into my blood because of these shows with custon butterworth rode with 3foot butt pieces &seascapes ETC we got the bug early here in newcastle also awesome daysClapClapClapBig smileBig smileBig smileWink
Fysshe Salmon View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2015 at 1:37pm
Bob, that was "A Fishermans World" produced by Ron Calcutt and Ossie Emery. I taped the lot of them on my old Phillips VCR when they aired on TV... Smile You can still get the complete set on DVD now... Cheers Ian
Fysshe
Davent View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2015 at 2:11pm
those Calcutt vids were the inspiration for Phil Atkinson and Grant Gray to do the Land Based Addiction and Marlin off the Rocks.
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2015 at 3:01pm
YEP a fishamens world on the money with that ian great show &dave hows the size of the tiger shark on that ledge at tommaree its a biggenBig smileBig smileBig smileBig smileregards bob
hooknose View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hooknose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2015 at 6:47pm
classic stuff lads      the good old days        still got my old seascape !!!
MAN I LOVE FISHING ! ! !
Chep Buxley View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chep Buxley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2015 at 11:51am

The book from the show.

I rarely got to see it because I was playing junior cricket on Saturdays and we couldn't afford a video recorder.
Imagine how happy I was to get the book for Christmas in 1988.
steiny View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2015 at 12:33pm
The book looks in good nic too Shane!
cheers steiny
Chep Buxley View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chep Buxley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2015 at 12:43pm
One of my most treasured posessions
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic