LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures > Timbers for lure making
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Poplar for Lure Making?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Barambah Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matt fraser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Poplar for Lure Making?
    Posted: 12 May 2015 at 11:36pm
Just wondering if anyone has used poplar wood in their lures? Looking to find out the positives or negatives of this timber.

I sourced some blocks a while ago, and just cut them up, and shaped a lure. It seems quite ok in weight and workability.

But I haven't seen any info on it here, so looking to hear what people think of it for lure making?

Thanks,
Matt

Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2015 at 6:15am
I believe its quite poplar with some people matt....sorry weird sense of humour :)
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2015 at 11:24am
Gavin's restoration Stumpy thread, raises the point that John Ellis used Poplar in his early lures. Interesting, as I knew mine wasn't made from Red Cedar as commonly believed.
So, if it proved successful for him, I'm sure you'll do OK with it, let us know the outcome.
Seaweed.
"Always Merry and Bright"
matt fraser View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Barambah Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matt fraser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2015 at 12:44pm
Yes Tony, I saw that, which reminded me I had the poplar stashed away under the workbench. If it worked out ok for John Ellis it should be good!

I just haven't seen it mentioned anywhere else, so trying to find some first hand experience.

And ta Nicho, you are a funny man!

Matt
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2015 at 12:58pm
Matt I believe Pete Rayner on here uses it in his lures
that's no how ye make porridge!
beer-breath View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beer-breath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2015 at 1:29pm
it should work great.
we have tons and tons of it here, and it's never logged, it's the trees that are left after the loggers go through.
I've been considering trying it as well, i'll cut some this summer.
hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2015 at 1:34pm
Originally posted by puglee62 puglee62 wrote:

Matt I believe Pete Rayner on here uses it in his lures

Yep, I used to use King Billy but becoming expensive and hard to get down here in any reasonable length. So I have been using Poplar for a few months on lures and have also made a few boxes out of it, seems the right weight and maybe a bit on the hard side for h.c lures, machines and finishes well-
There is heaps of U.S milled Poplar at 'Masters', very nice straight grained planks at a reasonable price, some colour variation white is generally a lighter weight and green/brown a bit heavier, comes in lots of sizes too.
Pete
   'RAYNA' ---Free Range Lures
peterayn@yahoo.com.au
Balls View Drop Down

Scurvy Dog Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2015 at 5:07pm
G'day Matt/All

Poplar is quite good for lures, turns well on a lathe,cuts & shapes well by hand or tools, glues well, straight fine grain without the resin lines of similar pines such as Hoop Pine, basically it makes it easier when drilling eyelets in as the drill doesn't have resin lines to cause the drill to veer off line. I used to use it a lot until the old Bunning in Darwin shut shop & no longer stocked it. I used it for Barra & creek dwellers as well as all Pelagics toothie & non toothie. Only tip is select the timber, pick the lighter straight grained lengths, if it has any knots just cut them out, off memory the knots don't seem to affect the surrounding timber to be hard or cranky grained. Chris Hurt from Nautilaus lures fame used to use Poplar for the majority of his lures & Chris makes a great lure & is one switched on lure maker/fisho, good luck with it, cheers Balls.
Scurvy Dog
hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2015 at 6:37pm
I read somewhere it has "good water resistance" too, whatever that means .
Pete
peterayn@yahoo.com.au
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Barambah Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matt fraser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2015 at 9:03pm
Thanks for all that info guys. I will have to find a masters and try and track some more down.
Pete, what are h.c. lures?

Cheers,
Matt
hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2015 at 10:34pm
Matt--'Hand Carved', as opposed to sanded, machined etc.
Pete
peterayn@yahoo.com.au
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Barambah Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matt fraser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2015 at 1:19am
Aahh ok thanks for that! Yeah the bits I have aren't the softest to work with. I don't carve - bandsaw, linisher then hand sand. The last step can take a while.

Cheers,

Matt
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2015 at 7:34am
Would be nice if Masters had something thicker than 18mm stock. Ahh well maybe I'll come across some at the Wood show this weekend. Need something for Barra lures now that White Beech is becoming hard to source locally again.
"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

New Signing View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote New Signing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2016 at 11:40am
Went for a walk yesterday and located some good looking dried poplar branches and had a crack at hand carving it. I have been using balsa since i first started making lures about 6 months ago but i think ive found my new go to timber. I only make lures for my own use so im quite happy to grab a length and just start carving away.

Its almost as easy as balsa to work and seems to finish as well if not better. I also love the fact i have a ready supply of it around town to just pick off the ground.

Looking forward to seeing how it takes paint this afternoon
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic