LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > The Luremakers Shed
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wiring up a microwave motor for a drying wheel

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wiring up a microwave motor for a drying wheel
    Posted: 21 May 2015 at 3:26am
Hey guys,

Got a question about setting up a DIY drying wheel for top coating my hard lures.

I've removed the turntable motor from an old microwave and intend to use it to power the rotating arm of my drying wheel. However, I am completely useless when it comes to electrical wiring and related stuff.

I have wired up some computer fans to old mobile phone chargers for my brewery before but that was 12v and this is 240v (I don't even know if that makes a difference in the wiring Confused).

The motor I have salvaged has only a brown (active) and yellow (ground?) wire coming from it. It doesn't appear to pass through any transformer and is labelled 240v, 50 Hz. The power lead into the microwave has a green/yellow (ground), a brown (active) and a blue (neutral) wire.

can I wire the yellow wire from the motor to the yellow/green wire from the lead or should it be wired to the blue wire?

Thanks for the help guys.

Cheers,

Ces.

Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2015 at 7:55am
When I did mine, i used a 3 core flex and the green will go to the casing as the ground using one of the mounting holes. Then choose either of the other terminals to attach the common and active to. If the motor goes opposite the way you want to start, swap those wires around. You may also have a motor that automatically reverses on a delay, so the active and common can go on any terminal.

"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

CaptainCranky View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2015 at 8:56am
Get a sparky mate to oversee so you are safe.
The Journey is the Reward

hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2015 at 7:54pm
Yep, I second Darby's explanation, AND, if you have an earth wire (green), attach it to the motor body (@ the mounting screw hole/holes). Great tourquey little motor I have made several and they are all still rolling- one is on my barby rotisserie, and does it easy.
Important------------- Make sure when you connect the wires, the spade clip terminals 'A' and 'N' are well insulated (use heat shrink) from your little hands, that's if they have these terminals, some don't.
AS Darby says, they have a habit of changing direction on switching (no problem)
Pete
   'RAYNA' ---Free Range Lures
peterayn@yahoo.com.au
Ces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2015 at 5:40am
Thanks.guys.

all makes sense. I had it running but i'm not game to touch the housing, even after all the advice.

I'll pour out a few home brews and get a sparky mate that'll oversee it.
Lycan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lycan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 May 2015 at 8:33pm
Ces,

Quick suggestion,

I had an old dishwasher, not the original as still married to her

But an old stainless one so I cut a hole in each side, built a mounting bracket and attached a BBQ rotisserie. Makes a great curing cabinet free from dust, insects etc and during cooler weather or high humidity I use another port to mount the hair dryer which help`s aid curing when its like -2 degrees.

Anyway just a thought.

Steve
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic