LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Lure Discussion > Luremakers Biographies
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Peter Rayner History

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Peter Rayner History
    Posted: 02 Oct 2010 at 5:10pm
I put up a post a while ago asking for old lures to help create a theme in my SHED/BAR, several guys were more than helpful by sending me a great variety of lures from all over and the Bar is really coming together.
One of the guys that helped with my project was Peter Rayner of Rayna Lures, Im sure that regulars on this site will have seen Petes recent works of art in posts, and marvelled at the detail and the finish of Peters lures.
 Pete sent me 2 seperate parcels of lures, all made between 1982 and 1990, and I thought id show others some of Petes early creations.
 Pete started making lures over 30 years ago, what started out as a bit of fun soon became addictive and he eventually started pumping lures out and selling to a few tackle stores.

Pete bought his first airbrush around 1974 at a cost of $110.00 and drove 3 hrs to Sydney to pick it up.
He now has several cheaper brushes that work fine(ALTHOUGH HE SAYS HE CANT PAINT WELL! ITS THE STENCILS THAT MAKE HIM LOOK GOOD....PLEASE!!)An artistic flair runs in the family, both his brother and sister are accomplished artists, with his younger brother having an exhibition in Paris this month at The Louvre!
He prefers to use water based acrylics(good quality ones) he claims they are cheaper to buy/safer to use/ the colour range is endless, and that way he can experiment mixing to get his exact colours, if hes not happy with a colour he can afford to throw it away, where as acrylic thinners based paint is more costly.

Pete started out making lures with Balsa, maple, Aus Beech, then moved on to Red Cedar for several years, then he discovered Kauri Pine in the early 90s and has used this predominately since.

Pete likes all types of fishing, and usually trys to fish for trout from Autumn through to spring, and then move on to the flatties, bream, whiting in the estuaries as the warmer weather comes along, if possible he likes to chase a Bass in summer.

Any of Petes older lures with stainless hook hangers were made between 1982-87... around 87 he also used steel plates a copy of the Bennett/ Mcrath, Pete was not happy with these plates, so he commisioned a guy to make up a die, and punched out 3000 brass plates, which he uses to this day.
So from 1987-90 all petes lures had the brass hangers.

Pete made very few lures from around the mid to late 90s(due to no money/no time) and didnt start making lures with a passion until 2005.
He now only makes a lure when he feels like it, for the love of it, not as a marketing tool, and I personaly feel that is why his current lures are of a quality that not many could match!! and im sure that anyone that has viewed Petes latest creations would have to agree!

Petes best catch on one of his own lures was a 34lb cod, caught on a 5cm frog pattern lure on 6lb line when trout fishing from a canoe with a mate in a local lake, the fish towed them around the lake for sometime before eventually being dragged on board the canoe, where it preceeded to try and smash a hole in the bottom of the canoe and tip both anglers out into the water. This was 20yrs ago and Pete reckons if he caught the same fish today, he would not attempt to get it in the canoe!

A big thanks Pete for your generosity with sending me a piece of your history, and they have pride of place in the SHED.
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
Abuadmiral View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
ABU Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abuadmiral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2010 at 5:54pm
Think of yourself as very special Jason.
These are a wonderful range of early RR lures.
Info great here too.
cheers mate
Wayne

Tight Lines
Wayne Real
tooch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Twitchy Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2010 at 5:57pm
Good story Jason, and congratulations Pete that's quite an achievement
making lures for thirty years...ClapClapClap ..Well done. I can see why your
lures are so good with the amount of time and dedication you put
put into them....ClapClapClapClap....Tooch.
I'd rather be fishing with

hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2010 at 6:51pm
Thanks Jason- Wayne /Pete, looks good although a bit Embarrassed, I thought you were going to hang all that in "the shed"  - Looking a the pics, I should mention the black one with fluro green spots is an early glow in the dark number, never caught anything though-- the green spotted one under it is a killer at Eucumbine and was called 'Eucumbine Green'-------better shut up they all have a storyLOL.
Thanks again Jason.
Pete-R
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2010 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by hazmail hazmail wrote:

Thanks Jason- Wayne /Pete, looks good although a bit Embarrassed, I thought you were going to hang all that in "the shed"  - Looking a the pics, I should mention the black one with fluro green spots is an early glow in the dark number, never caught anything though-- the green spotted one under it is a killer at Eucumbine and was called 'Eucumbine Green'-------better shut up they all have a storyLOL.
Thanks again Jason.
Pete-R

Pete,
keep the stories and info on each lure coming!! thats what this post is for, all info adds to stories with a beer in the shed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Thumbs Up come on ya know ya wanna...... go for it!Wink
Whats the Bumble Bee story? did you name it?
where did the idea of a fat diving bee come from?
Whats the story behind the one with 2 bibs?
What name did you call the ones that are most prominent in the photos( same shape etc)?
Whats the one without the bib, with the front cut on sharp angle?

Any fish catching memories with any of these, what were you planning to catch when you first made them?....BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH...someone stop me!

puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2010 at 12:41am
thanks for putting those up Jase Pete is an artist to be sure !,looks like he's been an innovator right from
the very start
darcymenchin View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Mencho Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darcymenchin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2010 at 8:11am
Clap Hi Peter .
It is great to look back a few years and see just how your craft can evolve ,the lures are wonderful and great story also .
Regards Darcy.

Abuadmiral View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
ABU Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Abuadmiral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2010 at 9:32am
Sometimes ts easy to forget where we started Darcy!
Love to see and document some of your early works too mate.
I'm sure we will see change over time culmnating with you beautiful HTm MM Spiders Fnuks etc
Look forward to seeing some oldies posted

Wayne

..and you too, Pete, Chris, Nando, Tom and anyone else been carving/painting lures for a decade or two
Tight Lines
Wayne Real
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2010 at 10:54am
COOL nicho pete sure has a nice noworries atitude to lure making top shelf boys..........ClapClapClapBig smileBig smile
hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2010 at 11:02am
Jason
The bumble bee came out of a visit to the local craft shop looking for some girly lace bits for stencils (as we do/did)Confused.  I saw the beads and immediately saw a lure I did not have to shape, funny thing is back then, I knew enough to make a bib press to punch out and bend bibs, but never knew enough about ballast, I think all of the bead lures I made 'blew out' - most of those old ones were made with Bass in mind.
Pete-R
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2010 at 2:35pm
Thanks Pete,
one more thing, what was the idea of the bib shape on the little rainbow trout coloured lure 2nd pic from top? where did this idea come from?

Tony View Drop Down
Admin
Admin
Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2010 at 2:42pm
Wow that's an impressive lot of lures for the shed Jason, it was extremely generous of Pete to give away so many of his early works!

Thanks to both Pete and yourself for sharing the pics and background - The quality of Pete's lures is just astounding, and it's fantastic to get a glimpse of where it all began Thumbs Up

Cheers, Tony

For the love of Fishing Lures.
hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2010 at 4:41pm
Jason - from my limited memory I think I would have been trying to get a lot of shake(bib width) without depth (length of bib). Can't remember if it worked though!!  And before you ask the ones with two bibs dived but with very little action ('aqua-planed'), this type of action, or lack of it, we know now to be good in clear water where noise/vibration is not needed for fish to locate a lure- I think they call them 'gliders' these days, no bib they just fill them with lead Confused, I think Rapala make some, Japs also, they and yanks love them.
Pete-R
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2011 at 4:51pm
 Another gift arrived in the mail today from Peter Rayner of RAYNA lures.
After Pete and Steve of OOGS lures visited the shed a few weeks back, Pete mentioned that something was coming my way.
I had no idea what or when, but today the posty dropped me a small parcel, from Mr Rayner.

Pete....Thanks mate,its a true work of art, I just cant get over the detail, and the paint blows me away.
I really dont know if I can bring myself to fish this one!Confused
It has an internal rattle, and I cant for the life of me see where you have put this in! you are very good at what you do Pete, And I feel privileged to have a few of your creations.

Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2011 at 4:56pm

grey nomad View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grey nomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2011 at 6:09pm
Lovely lure Pete65
Gristy
Pilly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2011 at 7:17pm
Sweet Jas
Very nice work Pete I love that effect you do with the Gold Paint.

Regards
Adrian

Toga Fever
oog663 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Oogs Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oog663 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2011 at 7:53pm
Jason I had a surprise in the mail today as well. Thanks Pete Clap I will be on edge trying to produce something worthy of a fair exchange. I'm thinking give me ten years of stuffing up clear coats, and they might be half as good as yoursLOL

I think this might be a sister of your lure Jas --- lets toss em at the Cod at the end of the month Wink
We can always screw Pete's arm, or mow his lawn for twelve months to replace them if they get misplacedBig smile

Steve
oog663 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Oogs Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oog663 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2011 at 7:59pm
Sorry guys, I hit button twice and can't delete pics, if someone has the know how feel free
Steve
hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2011 at 8:08pm
Jas/steve, I can't believe you ahve them already, I only mailed them midday Tuesday and from past experience expected you to get them by next week.--Australia Post must have floated them upLOL.
I made three, I must have #2 , the one I was going to auction for the floods.

Enjoy.

Pete-R
simon bruce View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simon bruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2011 at 9:23pm
Great lure Pete.

Steve - I've removed your duplicate post.

Simon
the fish aren't art critics
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic