LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Fishing > Messing around in Boats
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

battery charging

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: battery charging
    Posted: 15 Jun 2015 at 9:06am
can't find the original post so i'll ask again. is it safe to charge the boat battery while everything is still connected to it. i have a 2-16 amp trickle charger.....mick
BEER IS PROOF THAT GOD LOVES US AND WANTS US TO BE HAPPY!!!
kayargh1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kayargh1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2015 at 10:00am
Mick, I think that you can ordinarily charge a battery with everything connected - after all that is what happens when the battery is charged by the motor but what you have to watch out for is the use of a trickle charger. Some batteries (the AGM/Gell/Sealed types for example) can be "cooked" if they are not charged using a charger that cuts out when the battery is fully charged. Regards, Ken.

steiny View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2015 at 10:03am
Mick, I use an isolator switch which is on the battery box. Make sure the isolator switch is off, connect the terminals and charge away.
cheers steiny
Fysshe Salmon View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2015 at 10:16am
I've been charging my batteries in my current boat for 16 years with them onboard and connected with no dramas! I use my isolator switch to select which battery to charge. I charge mine through the elec motor point.
Fysshe
Blinky View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Blinky's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blinky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2015 at 10:44am
It's best to isolate the batteries when charging. I have three batteries, three isolator switches and three chargers (C-Tek), all rigged up to cycle through every second day when on the trailer. Onboard charging system also charges all three through VSR's.
Blinky.

Blinky's Lures.
The lures that catch fish, not fishermen.........
Facebook
rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2015 at 2:53pm
battery is a calcium, charger has a selector button for gel/wet/calcium. put the charger on this morning and the indicator for full was flashing, by the destruction booklet it is fully charged when indicator stays on, so left it on for a few hours. now it says there is a fault. checked everything, even the indicator on the battery which is green for full. maybe on it's way out, five years old but only even run the nav lights and sounder and only when the motor is running. delkor brand......mick
gimme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gimme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2015 at 3:27pm
Can't comment on what is wrong, but 5 years in pretty good Mick. I haven't had any last that long. Just replaced mine at nearly 4 years old, weren't giving me any trouble but didn't want them to give me any when I am out on the water.
Plastic is for storing lures, not making them.
rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2015 at 3:40pm
that's it exactly, as good as we think we are, you can't walk on water .....mick
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2015 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by rodsncods rodsncods wrote:

that's it exactly, as good as we think we are, you can't walk on water .....mick

ive never had a problem walking on water mick.
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2015 at 3:57pm
after 78 beers i can do anthing......mick
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic