LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Fishing > Messing around in Boats
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

trouble with my sounder

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: trouble with my sounder
    Posted: 25 Jun 2015 at 10:37am
ok all you boat electronic wizzes out there. i have a lowrance elite 5 hdi. at speed, half throttle, it won't register properly. screen whites out and depth keeps flashing the last depth and dosn't read bottom stucture. up to about third throttle it's ok. i have adjusted the height of the transducer up, down only 5 mm at a time but nothing seems to make much difference. at the moment it's about 10mm below the hull, any ideas. thanks........mick
BEER IS PROOF THAT GOD LOVES US AND WANTS US TO BE HAPPY!!!
ringo View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ringo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2015 at 1:35pm
Mick, I have the Lowrance DSI skimmer transducer and have had the same problem with lots of trial and error adjusting the height.  Mine is still not 100% right at full speed but it's a lot better than it was.  I'd suggest try lifting yours higher and see if that makes a difference.
JKR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2015 at 1:57pm
A couple of boats ago I had something similar, and a slight adjustment of the angle of the transducer did the trick.

A mate did it for me and I can't recall the details, only that it was that adjustment that sorted it out.

I can't recall one sounder that's perfect at any speed. As long as you're getting a reliable depth and a reasonable picture, that's enough to stay off the rocks.
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2015 at 2:16pm
may be transducer is placed too close to centre of hull, living in the turbulence, rather than just out of it,
it really should read at all speeds, and will if placed correctly.
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
gimme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gimme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2015 at 2:18pm
Often the hull shape (eg air bubbles coming off the hull ) usually is what stuffs you. I used to have any Allycraft and my mate had a Sea Jay. We had the same Humminbird but mine always read better than his no matter how much we adjusted his. I think as the guys have said try different heights and angles until you end up with the best you can and be aware you may get never get a good reading at decent speed.
Plastic is for storing lures, not making them.
wahootim View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wahootim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2015 at 2:24pm
any chance of a pic from side on and back on, then so suggestions can be made. cheers Tim
rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2015 at 2:29pm
my old boat, a sea-jay, had an eagle cuda 168 black and white sounder. i had the transducer mounted on the wrong side( port) and that thing never failed me, read depth and bottom at full tilt. havn't been able to get this new one right since i've had it. tilted the transducer down a bit this morning, see how that goes next time. thanks for the ideas. my new boat has more of a flat hull, stacer proline. the transducer bracket was put on the boat by the manufactures, starboard side, about just over half way from centre......mick
Lure-Nut View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Tonk Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lure-Nut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2015 at 2:48pm
Completely uneducated view but my first thought was that it may be getting some sort of increased signal interference or 'noise' when the motor is revving harder Question

Just googled the motor / sounder noise scenario and there is a lot of 'chat' out there on the web in this area .... may be worth a look Confused

Cheers

Rob
Tonk Lures
rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2015 at 3:00pm
photos at different angles have drilled another set of holes to give it more adjustment. the last setting of the transducer was tilted up and lowered compared to the last photo.....mick
rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2015 at 3:07pm
last photo
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2015 at 3:12pm
looks good enough mick.
ive got same transducer, and similar hull on my explorer...I mounted mine just a tad more to the right than yours, approx. where yours would be ....if you moved your transducer over as far to the right on your bracket as possible.
bottom of transducer looks approx. level with bottom of hull....would of thought it would be ok.
if that doesn't work, id be moving transducer as far to right on bracket as possible.

Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2015 at 3:17pm
is it a centre console mick? if so wheres skippers seat situated?
if its on the port side and your weight in the boat maybe transducer lifts out of the water? :)

Lure-Nut View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Tonk Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lure-Nut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2015 at 3:20pm
Found this exert on the internet re solving sounder signal interference issues .....

"Start the engine. Increase the RPM with the gearshift in neutral. If noise appears on the
display, the problem could be one of three things; spark plugs, alternator,
or tachometer wiring. Try using resistor spark plugs, alternator filters, or
routing the sonar units power cable away from engine wiring. Again,
routing the power cable directly to the battery helps eliminate noise
problems. Make certain to use the in-line fuse supplied with the unit when
wiring the power cable to the battery."

There is also a lot of chatter about installing noise filters ....

Cheers

Rob

Tonk Lures
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2015 at 3:34pm
JMHO but having fitted lots of sounders of all breeds to all sorts of boats and 25 years selling them, I have a couple of thoughts.

1. a bit late but worth doing, remove the transducer so you have a good clear view of the water where it sits, go for a run at the throttle/trim and have a good look to see it the water flow is clean and clear.
if it looks aerated or cloudy check:-

That the transducer is not too far back and is in the turbulence junction off the rib either side

Have a good look at the transom/bottom join and see if there is some lumpy welds there that may be roiling the water flow off the bottom and back up the transom a bit.

I have seen similar problems on boats fitted with those step back mounts, and the Lowrance transducers hang back a lot further than others as well.

Everything else as far as depth and angle is a "suck it and see" and will vary from boat to boat and transducer to transducer.

Hope this helps

Brad

"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2015 at 3:38pm
nicho if i moved it to the right it would be sitting right behind the rib. wouldn't that cause interference?......mick
Blinky View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Blinky's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blinky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2015 at 3:39pm
To me it looks like the angle of the transducer is too great i.e. the arse is down too far. If its reading OK at 1/3 throttle then the nose of the boat would be down further than when at 1/2 throttle thus the transducer angle being more closer to horizontal........what size boat is it? Looks to be around the 3.7 m. I'd get that transducer angle more in line with your straight edge and see how it goes.........just my two bobs worth.......
Blinky.

Blinky's Lures.
The lures that catch fish, not fishermen.........
Facebook
rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2015 at 3:46pm
blinky, it's a 4.3 mt, havn't tried it where it is now.rob   everything was done by a marine electrician and it has an il-line fuse but maybe touching alternator connection. as you say brad , hit and miss untill it works......mick
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2015 at 4:06pm
yes it would be mick, but only worth a try, mine is situated centre of the outside rib and the next..(so as if your bracket was moved across to centre of next two ribs).your bracket is also extending out from transom, my transducer is screwed straight to transom.
but could be something else....like rob said, noise.

horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2015 at 5:19pm
Let me check it out for you MickThumbs Up. I'll bring it back in a few yearsBig smile
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
matt fraser View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Barambah Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matt fraser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2015 at 5:49pm
I reckon it needs to be lowered about a centimetre and the angle reduced like Blinky said - in line with the hull. It always takes a little bit of mucking around to get the best spot, but it will be worth it.

Nativeman View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nativeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2015 at 6:53pm
My sounder reads fine at speed and is mounted in a similar position and I'm no expert when it comes to fitting. However  I installed a Transducer cover with this boat and it seems to have a cleaner exit in the water, they are between 25 -35 bucks at most marine shops, maybe worth a try.
wahootim View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wahootim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2015 at 2:35pm
I agree with Matt, does have to be lower, reduce the angle, it will also be wash off the boats bracket if you notice it has several step ups in it most hulls are bad for it, i have a Hornet i took this bracket off and can now sound [crystal clear] at 55klm/hr. Tim 
rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2015 at 4:19pm
that is approximatly where i had it before. did the same and sprayed water all over the place. raised it maybe 10mm , got rid of the spray but still didn't read properly. as has been said, just trial and error,keep changing it until i get it the best . will look at the bracket as well. thanks for the ideas......mick
bilge View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Bill Jackson Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bilge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2015 at 1:14am
I agree with Blinky it would appear from the photos the transducer should be lifted at the back as the bottom of the transducer needs to be on the same alignment as the straight edge. Otherwise the transducer is transmitting at the wrong angle.  If this is still persisting I will take some photos of my transducer at various angles to explain a little better. let me know.
Billj
The older I get the more I learn.
rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2015 at 5:51am
photos would be good , thanks billj.....mick
bilge View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Bill Jackson Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bilge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2015 at 11:14pm
Mick I have just done this once and lost it so here we go again. There are three photos
1. shows the line on center of the transducer in line with the straight edge which is held flat to the bottom  of the hull. There appears a little difference but that is because the photo is taken from a little  behind  the transducer. This gives the best signal return from the bottom back to the transducer.

The next pictures show the rear of the Transducer in exaggerated tail down or tail up attitude  (one appears similar to the photo of your transducer in relation to the straight edge) In this attitude  most of the return signal is lost and hence poor images especially at speed. This is my opinion. I hope this helps

Billj
rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2015 at 10:21am
see how this goes.....mick
bilge View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Bill Jackson Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bilge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2015 at 11:40am
Mick that looks better to me. I get a bit of spray but if you get spray try lifting it a smidge but keep the angle like that.
all the best billj
rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2015 at 11:14am
tried it at this level/angle, reads better.a bit of haze on the screen but readable. still getting spray.....mick
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic