Forum Home Forum Home > Australian Lures > QLD Lures > Fysshe Lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cedar Skorps

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cedar Skorps
    Posted: 27 Jun 2015 at 1:30pm
We've been getting a nice run of Doggies off the beach lately and the lure of choice has been the 125 DD scorpion in flouro green. Unfortunately, something large came off the bottom and relieved me of it last week!! Cry Our local tackle shops only had the 3 and 8 metre ones in stock, so I decided to have a go at making a couple...
I have a good supply of Red Cedar (thanks to Gavin OCD), so I marked out a few blanks roughly the same shape as the Halco ones. I made an Ally bib from 1.5mm plate and a 2mm Poly bib. The Ally bibbed model was made in the "Classic" style while the other was to be towed from the bib.

After gluing and sealing the lures, they looked too good to paint , so I had to leave one as a nude! Smile The other two I just painted flouro yellow with lime backs. Emerald green on the heads to highlight the big yellow eyes. The standard Scorpions have 3 trebles which seem to do a lot of damage to the fish, so I've only fitted 2 hooks on these. (2/0 HD trebles I got off the Bay)

Fysshe
bignanny View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
CAM Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bignanny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2015 at 1:34pm
Great looking lures mate. Regards Chris 
Fysshe Salmon View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2015 at 1:38pm
The nude turned out very nice and will look nice in my lure cabinet. I've called them "Skorpians" and I hope to get out next week and feed them to the Doggies and Grey Mackerel... 

Fysshe
JKR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JKR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2015 at 2:29pm
Beautiful
steiny View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2015 at 3:03pm
Very nice Ian....these look awesome mate!
cheers steiny
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2015 at 3:35pm
nice lures ian...keen to see fish pics soon!!! :)
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
Strangalures View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strangalures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2015 at 3:51pm
They look nice Ian , the fish will love them
Fish Choking Lures :)
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2015 at 5:52pm
NIIICE AS - looking real goodThumbs Up
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
Jack5 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2015 at 6:11pm
Great job as usual Ian .the sooty lures got of
You for my son where a hit
Vicious Fishes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vicious Fishes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2015 at 6:35pm
Good looking lures Fyshee,

That cedar always gets me.

Looks pretty ordinary until you seal it and then I wish I had sanded the centreline completely so it could remain a nude.

Steve
Mr Viper View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Viper Lures (Still Young)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Viper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2015 at 8:33pm
Yes, up to your usual standard Ian Clap
Fishing ??? Lets do it !!!!!!!!!!
Nativeman View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nativeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2015 at 8:53pm
Bloody Beautiful Ian,,,love it..
jaybonnie View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybonnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2015 at 10:49pm
Well done mate Thumbs Up
THE CODFATHER
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2015 at 3:06pm
Finally got out this morning to test the lures. Both swam well and we took quite a few strikes and managed to get two small Doggys and a small Cod to the boat. Unfortunately, the wind came up a bit and we didn't make it out to the offshore shoals. The lures are now a little worse for wear... Ouch

Fysshe
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2015 at 5:19pm
Well done and be proud of those battle scars on them Clap
Martin-

matt fraser View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Barambah Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matt fraser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2015 at 5:28pm
Good work Ian! Must be nice to put them to work, and come up with the goods! I reckon the Spaniards would love them too.

Love the Scorp shape with a distict Fyshee head shape/eyes/paint.

Matt

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2015 at 6:07pm
Thanks guys, I couldn't get the action i wanted with the ally bibbed one, so I removed the towpoint and drilled the bib. Now it has a real wild action that doesn't seem to affected by speed. It runs about 3 metres on the troll and the poly bibbed one at 4 metres plus.
Fysshe
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 1:34pm
My daughter and son in law are up at the moment and needed a feed of fish, so we launched his  4.85 Sea Jay Saturday arvo to try for macks on the making tide. Light winds and a 60HP Yammy on the back had us on the shoals pretty quick!! 
I used my new Skorp and I suggested to Sarah to use the Flouro green Halco. I took my hand held Gps to get us on the reef and first pass over the marks, Sarah hooked up to a nice Doggie.. Smile We had fun for about an hour landing 5 good sized ones but we mat have dropped over a dozen!! Shocked
I don't normally use wire when using big minnows but these fish were frantic and we were lucky to lose only one lure. Teeth marks all up the 60lb Jinkai leaders!!
A lot more battle scars on my lure now... Big smile

Fysshe
Ducks View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 2:10pm
They certainly seem to like it.
Better start a production line.
steiny View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 2:25pm
Good stuff Ian!
cheers steiny
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 2:25pm
nice pics...gods country up there, thanks for sharing.
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
steiny View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 2:26pm
Good feed of fish for the family too!
cheers steiny
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 5:35pm
Good looking lure that - full of characterThumbs Up
Martin-

rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 5:47pm
thats what a good lure should look like, well done.......mick
BEER IS PROOF THAT GOD LOVES US AND WANTS US TO BE HAPPY!!!
Strangalures View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strangalures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 8:56pm
The lures holding up well on the toothy critters , top stuff
Fish Choking Lures :)
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2015 at 10:24pm
Unfortunately, we have oil washing up on the beaches following a spill south of Townsville 10 days ago. Sarah had to use turps to get it off her feet after retrieving the boat on Saturday. I just noticed blotches on the ramp when looking at the photo. Workers had cleaned it before we launched but more must have washed up on the flood tide... Shocked

Fysshe
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2015 at 11:20pm
Weather and tides have been good to us this week and have been able to get out for a couple of trips. The Doggies have been in plague proportions but we found a small rubble shoal that the "Nomads" from the van park haven't discovered yet... LOL
Double hookups were common when we hit the marks but after changing to "Spot" style lures, we got some nice Greys over 80cm and even a couple of Spaniards.

Fysshe
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2015 at 11:27pm
Carl sent me a few old lures awhile ago including a large old Cordell Spot that I repainted. It was the best lure today with two big Broad Bars and a Spaniard. It looks a lot worse now... LOL

Fysshe
grey nomad View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grey nomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2015 at 11:32pm
Ian, when did you paint the head of the lure black, and did it make a difference ??
Gristy
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2015 at 11:41pm
To spice up the afternoon, I got out the old Bass baitcaster with 2kg line and rigged a 4" jerkbait on fine wire. We dropped the MinnKota on the shoal and teased up a few residents with a hookless lure then flicked out the soft plastic.
Hits were numerous but getting a decent hookset on the light line was difficult. I did get two in the boat, the best 1.97kg and the "decky" got one at 1.5kg. (Her first attempt on light line) Good fun though!! Smile

Fysshe
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2015 at 11:45pm
Carl, I painted the head black when I ground off the front towpoint. It looked a bit messy so I just masked the bib, put some blu tack on the eyes and gave it a quick squirt of black. It seem to attract a lot more hits now... Confused
Fysshe
grey nomad View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grey nomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2015 at 12:08am
Interesting ?? might have to paint one special in that colour and keep in tackle box as backup Big smile.
Gristy
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2015 at 7:42pm
You can't argue with successClap and macks are my fav table fishThumbs Up
Martin-

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2016 at 10:22pm
After another season on Mackerel, Cod and Coral Trout, the two original proyotypes were ready for a refresh. The old red cedar had stood up reasonably well and only needed some filler and a coat of high build primer. I'm trying two different colours for next season.

Fysshe
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic