LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Australian Lures > NSW Lures > Keith Baker
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Freddo's Family Tree

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote colsel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Freddo's Family Tree
    Posted: 28 Jul 2015 at 3:57pm
While at the recent Expo I purchased one of Eric and Carl's 5th generation Freddos. That, along with my general interest in all things Keith Baker, prompted me to try to get a better handle on Freddos somewhat convoluted pedigree. I gathered all the scattered pieces of information and photos that I could find on the subject and have tried to collate them all here in an attempt to build a clearer picture of his ancestry. All the photos, apart from one of my own, have been posted on LL before and I sincerely hope that my reusing them here does not cause concern for anyone.

1st Generation - Late 1980's
Original hand carved timber lures by Keith Baker. It is interesting to note that Keith referred to the "Freddo" shape as his Ladybug. His frog imitation though somewhat similar(see photo below) is easily distinguished.

2nd Generation - 1994
Lively Lures moulded a batch of approximately 50 lures for Warren Nicholson. There was only a single run done due to production difficulties.

3rd Generation - 2012 to 2014
A small batch(17?) of hand carved timber lures produced by the combined efforts of four people: Eric Ward(carving), Aaron Young(painting), Aidan Robertson(bibs) and Carl Grist(assembly).

4th Generation - May 2015
Warren Nicholson posted some new creations under the label of Samurai Freddo.

5th Generation - July 2015
A second batch(24?) of hand carved timber lures produced by Eric Ward(carving) and Carl Grist(painting and assembly). These were offered for sale at the 2015 Lure Expo.

Hopefully, this amalgamation of Freddo's heritage may serve as a useful reference for both current and future collectors. In this regard, should anyone feel that I have overlooked some valuable information, or worse still recorded it incorrectly, I would appreciate them posting a reply to rectify this.

Finally, here is a photo of three generations of Freddos.
Regards,
Col
samurai View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
JaySea Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote samurai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2015 at 4:05pm

Any Brand Of Lure Is Only As Good As The Fishermen Using It.
Lofty View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Esoteric Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lofty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2015 at 6:38pm
Your a legend Col
Esoteric lures "For The Select Few"
samurai View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
JaySea Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samurai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2015 at 7:05pm
Just as a matter of interest, the lures marked with a X are not JaySea Freddos.

Cheers Warren

Any Brand Of Lure Is Only As Good As The Fishermen Using It.
colsel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colsel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2019 at 4:11pm
Recently there has been a bit of action in the market place with several Freddo style lures being offered for sale. I was very happy to make the most of this opportunity and fill two gaps in my Freddo collection.

Firstly, a timber Freddo Mk2 from JaySea Lures. This is one of a limited edition of six lures that were the only timber Freddos ever made by Warren Nicholson. (4th Generation 2015 ?)

The second is from a small batch of lures that were a collaborative effort between four makers. (3rd Generation 2014)

My extended Freddo family.

Interestingly, while searching for info about these lures I came across another batch of Freddos that were posted on LureLovers back in 2011 and thought it appropriate that they also got a mention in this thread.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic