LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Lure Discussion > Fishing with Lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Not a good start to the day

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whipit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Not a good start to the day
    Posted: 15 Aug 2015 at 7:24pm
Replaced some hooks on a couple of lures last night and left them on a shelf before going to bed. Got up this morning walked past the shelf to open a window and caught a few on my jumper..flicked them on the floor...next step in my foot and connected to the carpet.
Another lesson lernt. ..put the bloody things away when your finished.
whipit
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2015 at 7:32pm
Gold...howd you go pulling it out? Im hopeless cant pull them myself i nearly pass out, doctors for me....yep im a sook
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
Mr Viper View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Viper Lures (Still Young)

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Viper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2015 at 8:34pm
That there is the very reason you should flatten all the barbs down for me .Shocked
Fishing ??? Lets do it !!!!!!!!!!
steiny View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steiny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2015 at 8:44pm
VMC...solid hooks too!

Ouch!
cheers steiny
Raffey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raffey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2015 at 8:53pm
Brad that one's lodged pretty good. How'd you go removing it?
Davent View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2015 at 10:48pm
Wish I could upload a pic off my old camera.
1st day of a 5 day trip to the minimini, by myself, 500km from darwin, 300 by road, 200 by water.
drifting into a snag, by thought I could get one more cast at it before I had to move.
got the cast in, but then had to move quickly to reposition. I was on the cast deck, and my 4.85 seajay was packed with a 60lt esky, a 60lt car fridge and 6 jerry, s of ulp.
I had a shimmano ora stick bait hanging off the consol, a big one, GT size, and slipped on the wet esky lid and put a 1/0 or 2/0 heavey duty owner treble in my heel, all the way.
Saw another boat about 1km away, and drove to it, hoping they had some side cutters or bolt cutters in their boat, but they didnt.
They did have an extremely sharpe kershaw boning knife though, and I cut deep into my heel to expose the barb.
Impossible to push it through, as it was all the way to the bend and not enough bend left to push it through, so cut a hole deep enough to get a pair of pliar s around the barb. The bloke cutting with the pliars, (i did the knife work myself)was strong, he broke the handle off! Fished the rest of the 5 days, and it turned into an epic trip.
Hope yours came out easier
2nd pair of pliars did it though., and patched it up best I could, lots of betadine and a sock over it.
No pain, very lucky. I keep a good pair of side cutters now!
Atheism is a non prophet organisation
whipit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whipit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2015 at 12:01am
I tried to get it out myself for a while but was at the wrong angle to get a good go at it...needed a helper so off to hospital for me. Problem was it was heading deeper when the doctor tried to push it through. Had to bend the treble back, twist it around and push it out the side. Doctor said he deals with hook accidents on a weekly basis being at the Tweed hospital and mine was nothing compared to the offshore boys he gets through regularly.
whipit
Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2015 at 9:12am
Brad 

Did you receive an injection to help deaden the pain before the doctor played with the hook.

Regards John
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2015 at 10:10am
Dave your bear grilles mate! Theres a small movie in your story...legend.

Whipit same for me mate...doctor all the way.
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
whipit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whipit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2015 at 10:58am
Gee not real good Dave...the knife has got to be the last resort. Sounds like you had no choice. At least you were fishing in a great spot and caught fish. All I caught was the carpet.
Yeah I ended up getting a needle straight down inside the hole. After I played with it for half an hour it was a bit sore. Didn't feel a thing after the needle.

Cheers Brad
whipit
whipit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whipit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2015 at 11:02am
The doctor had a good go at it before the needle too. It was grabbing onto something ...maybe a bit of tendon in my arch.
whipit
Nativeman View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nativeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2015 at 11:38am
Brad that looks nasty, been there done that many times this year..like you just around the house a couple times and out in the kayak...last time was a hospital visit with some local. Although I cut it down on the yak, continued to fish and had it removed when I went home, fun times...
aster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2015 at 12:13pm
That is certainly a very painful way to learn that lesson. 
Chris
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2015 at 1:50pm
2 hook ups in fingers, first the barbs were crushed, the second not crushed. Now if I noticed I haven't crushed the barbs while fishing I curse at myself.
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
Chep Buxley View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chep Buxley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2015 at 4:51pm
I thought standing on LEGO in the middle of the night was bad enough........
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2015 at 5:51pm
Standing on something squishy (especially if you have a pet) in the middle of the night is worse then LegoWinkLOL
Martin-

Davent View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2015 at 8:41pm
I had no choice......

best hook up story belongs to one of my mates. His mrs filmed it to.
1st trip to the tropics, wiepa, mid 90, s , gets a barra .....cuda 1sr cast.
looks at the camera and starts with the spiel, blah blah blah, bomber in the fishes mouth, 2 hands on the fish, (im laughing as I type this!) One of the trebles is resting on the web of his hand, between the thumb and for finger.
Both hands are full, (hard to type when laughing so much! ) soooo, he uses his bottom lip to move the treble. The cuda just sees a mouth and eyes coming for his head, and gives an almighty shake!
Scott now has a cuda with a treble in it, and one through his tounge and one through his lip hahahahaha! Cuda teeth right next to his nose!!! Hahahahaha! Wish it was on U tube!
The rest of the video has him lisping his blah blahs !

Sorry Scott if you read this, but please post the video on u tube!
Atheism is a non prophet organisation
Ganesy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ganesy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2015 at 9:23pm
Brad, Did you try a bit of cord to get it out with. Only way to go.

Ganesy,
Ganesy
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2015 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by Davent Davent wrote:

I had no choice......

best hook up story belongs to one of my mates. His mrs filmed it to.
1st trip to the tropics, wiepa, mid 90, s , gets a barra .....cuda 1sr cast.
looks at the camera and starts with the spiel, blah blah blah, bomber in the fishes mouth, 2 hands on the fish, (im laughing as I type this!) One of the trebles is resting on the web of his hand, between the thumb and for finger.
Both hands are full, (hard to type when laughing so much! ) soooo, he uses his bottom lip to move the treble. The cuda just sees a mouth and eyes coming for his head, and gives an almighty shake!
Scott now has a cuda with a treble in it, and one through his tounge and one through his lip hahahahaha! Cuda teeth right next to his nose!!! Hahahahaha! Wish it was on U tube!
The rest of the video has him lisping his blah blahs !

Sorry Scott if you read this, but please post the video on u tube!

Dave - you're a sadist.............C'mon Scott, post it up, we wanna laugh tooLOLLOL
Martin-

rodsncods View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rodsncods Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2015 at 6:52pm
this i've gotta see, come on post up a video.....mick
BEER IS PROOF THAT GOD LOVES US AND WANTS US TO BE HAPPY!!!
whipit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whipit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Aug 2015 at 8:09am
I didn't try the cord trick to pull it out Ganesy...I've seen it done before and it works well. I usualy just push them through if it's possible. No doubt I will have more hooks in me over the years to test all ways of extraction.   
whipit
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic