LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Australian Lures > QLD Lures > C Lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My C-Lure collection.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aaron Concord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My C-Lure collection.
    Posted: 21 Sep 2015 at 4:42am
G'day,

This is my C-Lure collection, seen in fairly broad strokes.
I initially took these images to show Carl Grist, but he was having issues with receiving them for some unknown reason. I have to re-send them to him. 
I have been buying C-Lures since about 1991, though I assume that all of mine are post-Carl Grist models.
Most are by Dom Fry, with whom I struck up a friendship through Damon Olsen in 2000.
Dom was kind enough to do a lot of custom colours for myself and a very,very,very small group of friends, which from memory, was only 5 of us in total. 
Astute collectors may notice that some of the colours are in fact old Nils Master schemes that were no longer imported into Australia, AFTER they had been found to be exceptional at taking the local mangrove jacks. 
Nils Master colour schemes have washed through many Australian cottage industry colour charts, but in particular, the chromed version of the Nilsy Pink #70 and the burnt orange #86 being front runners for the local red devils. 
Dom's large range of funky colours that he already had, which were all part of the evolution of C-Lures, meant that there was plenty of great stuff to plonk in the tackle box as it is, though I loved the fact that he never balked at any of my suggestions when I was trying to think up something different. 
I must add, I invested in a lot of Dom's lures before Damon Olsen and I took off to do our first fishing movie together, titled Fishing Wild in Weipa.
I figured that if I was going to be burning footage at a rate of $1 a minute, then I wanted to have fish-catching tools at the forefront. 
I had grown very used to the weight and actions of the Jack Snack, Mini Barra, Barra Pro, Headmaster and Longtom, so they (along with Al Dolan's Mad Mullets and Terry Leadbetter's original Tropical Rogue and 3"clear bib minnow and Bill Clark's fizzers) were the main lures used in that film when up the creeks enjoying the jungle war fare.

That was back in 2001......

Now, I am still hogging the precious ones I have left, as I believe that the Tacspo models just are not the same dynamic lure that these older models are/were.
I will send these images onto Carl, but I will also do a shot of all the individual models I have as well.
I'll put that up once I have found every model I have.

Cheers,

Aaron. 
PS. This is the single largest amount of one lure brand I own anymore. I had to cull a bit while trying to keep my family together........ sadly, that didn't work out and I sold about 300 lures way too cheap. That's life.......... now to slowly rebuild again. 

Aaron Concord View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aaron Concord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2015 at 4:49am
I might add, some of the Barra Pro's that look beaten up really only need new paint. 
The bib and eyelet integrity is fine in nearly all of them.
Are there any makers out there who do re-sprays at a reasonable cost?
Seems a shame to "bench" a lure that is perfectly functional other than the fact that it may absorb too much water during a session, or does not have the same attention grabbing paintwork that it once did!
bignanny View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
CAM Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bignanny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2015 at 6:26am
Awesome collection Aaron. Your dvd was one of the first fishing dvds i bought and i still love watching it. Regards chris.
All my braids gone!
Pearcey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Dave Pearce Lures and OLM Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pearcey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2015 at 8:14am
Aaron , if you are down the gold coast any time i could respray some if you wanted , there is also some very talented lure makers here that would do them proud, cheers pearcey
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2015 at 8:30am
Just a few there hey Aaron LOL?. They have worked well for youClap
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
Ducks View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2015 at 11:11am
Heaps of guys will respray lures.
Pearcey has already offered - but you can also look through the hybrid thread and see there is a bunch of guys here who seem to really love playing with other guys shapes.

Carl might see the photos here - and if you're lucky he might even re-paint a few for you too.

Where can I get a copy of this DVD?  I love watching old clips and checking out the old lures people are throwing!
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2015 at 4:23pm
Aaron, enjoyed the post, might have a couple here taking up room in an old tackle box. I'll PM you.
Regards, Tony.
"Always Merry and Bright"
jaybonnie View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybonnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2015 at 7:27pm
Awsome collection AaronThumbs Up
THE CODFATHER

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aaron Concord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2015 at 1:19am
Chris AKA bignanny, I'm glad that you enjoyed Fishing Wild In Weipa. Damon and I were just 2 guys who wanted to have a crack at making something as good, if not better, than what was around at the time. 

Dave Pearce, thanks for the offer! I have been in contact with Carl Grist today and he's willing to have a look at some of these old workhorses for me. As a side note, I remember getting some of your lures via a mutual friend, one Geoffrey Baker....... I still have at least one or 2 of your lures in my collection and I am still in contact with Geoff as well. Thanks again for the offer!

Horrohead, yeah, I had a lot more, but hey, this is what I have left, which I am very thankful for. They have been brilliant workhorses and I won't go north to chase jacks and barra without a heap of them. TBH, I have been looking hard for replacements as there are some colours I have that have been depleted. Deep River Lures are one that I have found recently that I really like as far as sizes/colours/buoyancy etc. 

Ducks, the DVD is spread throughout Oz by AFN. I know that the BCF chain of stores were strong stockists, though there should be others. Where abouts are you? 

Tony, thanks for your offer and I will send you up a padded postage satchel. Thanks again.

jaybonnie, they are now more than just working tools...... they are part of my story, cause whenever I go snag bashing, I have C-Lures on board and it's what they catch that cements the days memories. 
Ducks View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2015 at 7:42am
Aaron I'm in Sydney. I don't often find my way to a bcf but I'll definitely keep my eye out.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aaron Concord Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2015 at 11:37pm
Ducks, let me know how you fair mate.
I may have a copy or 2 laying around here that I can sell.
I just need to find the "right" box since my last move! 

Cheers,

Aaron.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic