Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > The Luremakers Shed
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Split Ring Advice Required ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Tonk Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lure-Nut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Split Ring Advice Required ?
    Posted: 06 Oct 2015 at 11:39am
A member has kindly raised a point re the split rings I've been using on the larger Tonks. They are very strong Owners but appear to be slighly spread after being put on large screw in eyelets.

Can anyone recommend a heavy duty split ring in size 6 or 7 that I could alternatively try ?

Cheers

Rob
Tonk Lures
Pearcey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Dave Pearce Lures and OLM Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pearcey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2015 at 1:25pm
Rob i dont know what size wire the eyelets are but they must be quite large to do that , in reality you wont need eyelets any larger than 1.2 ml even for fish such as black bass , i have never used Owners split rings but 5h stainless  split rings should be more than enough , of course the H stands for hard , but you would think a larger size split ring may help , you would also think that Owners are a high quality split ring , cheers pearcey
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2015 at 1:43pm
those screw eyes are quite thick and often damage the split rings if rings need to be spread too much to fit.
Even on smaller size screw eyes this happens...split rings are strong but not really meant to be spread apart too much, resulting in the tension then not going back into shape exactly.
I found this happened a lot on screw eyes i was using.
So now if i use screw eyes (i prefer not for these reasons)......but i open the screw eye just enough to get the split ring on, then crimp it back up in place, prior to attaching to the lure....this way, split ring does not get damaged (weakened).....but the down side, does it weaken the screw eye when slightly opening it?? both these reasons are why i prefer not to use screw eyes..... I only use screw eyes on lures aimed at small species EG BASS sometimes if im a bit rushed for time.
I dont doubt they are very strong...i know they are....but as i said the 2 reasons above steer me to keep using twisted wire.
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
Lure-Nut View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Tonk Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lure-Nut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2015 at 6:39pm
Have had some great advice from Carl Grist and the guys above - by using the side cutters I can slightly open the eyelet and slip in the #7 split ring then close it up.

Perfect result .... many thanks to you all Thumbs Up

Cheers

Rob
Tonk Lures
reelsandlures63 View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reelsandlures63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2015 at 7:40pm
rob just but opened eyes mate , as opening and closing them can make them weak, the opened eye was designed for that
Doc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2016 at 9:09am
Stainless steel is a bad choice for split rings a coated hi carbon steel is best size for size steel will outdo S/steel every time I know the maintenance is higher but if you are losing set go with steel if you are hung Up on S/steel look for ones made from Elgiloy® (pardon the pun)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic