LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Australian Lures > QLD Lures > Deep River Lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"Cod Cannibal" Evolution

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colsel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Cod Cannibal" Evolution
    Posted: 23 Dec 2015 at 8:57am
In an attempt to gain a better understanding of the various stages of the development of Anthony's "Cod Cannibal" lure design I gathered together as many reference photos as I could find and tried to place them in a chronological order. With the benefit of some helpful assistance from Anthony I feel that I now have a reasonable "picture" of the evolution of this lure up to this point in time to share with other interested Deep River Lure collectors.

My earliest lure is a 100mm version from September 2011. According to Anthony there were a couple of prototypes made prior to 2011.

This is set showing four different sizes - December 2011.

The first Boxed Set of Deep River Lures - December 2012. Note the splash of red under the chin.

This version is from 2013. There have been some significant variations in the design introduced at this stage which can be seen clearly in the comparison photo with the earlier 2011 version. (Both 100mm.)

There were also some variations with the paint schemes - December 2013.

In 2015 Anthony produced a new version which he named the "Cod Clone". This version sported both a soft dorsal and anal fin in manner similar to his "Jack Magic" and "Barra Cannibal" designs. In this photo of the Huon Pine nude set the "Cod Clone" is the 3rd lure down from the top, while his "Jack Magic" lure is the 4th down.

In a recent communication from Anthony he advised that as of now(Dec. 2015) his "Cod Cannibal" lures will always have these fins and that the name "Cod Clone" will no longer be used. He is reverting back to "Cod Cannibal" simply because he "likes that name better". (85 mm.)

Regards,
Col
Davent View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2015 at 9:40am
Anthony is one of my favorite makers of all time.
Original designs, and a build quality 2nd to none.
Wish I had more of his lures.
Atheism is a non prophet organisation
gimme View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gimme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2015 at 12:52pm
Thanks for posting them up Col. I, like many am a big fan of Barney's lures and managed to have grabbed a couple here and there.
Plastic is for storing lures, not making them.
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2015 at 1:04pm
yes thanks for putting those up Col,very interesting bit of evolution there
that's no how ye make porridge!
Nativeman View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nativeman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2015 at 5:10pm
That's awesome information Col, I have a few Cannibals too, but not the Clone, and only got hold of that Brownish color lately from a trade.  I have to agree, Anthony's lures are magic, the finish is brilliant and  a very unique carving line. I'm going to have to check my Cod Cannibals out later after reading this post.

horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2015 at 5:54pm
ClapClap thanks for that, love Tony's lures - always very well made and paintedClapClap 
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
Davent View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Dec 2015 at 8:09pm
I will take, a few pics of some barra cannibals and a letter with pre lim drawings that Barney sent me some time back. Post em to morrow.
Atheism is a non prophet organisation
jaybonnie View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybonnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2015 at 2:07am
The boxed set proudly belongs to me and i have the first ever set done and letter from Anthony to prove it.
THE CODFATHER
colsel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colsel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2019 at 3:50am
A couple of additional photos which hopefully may help illustrate the gradual variations which took place in the evolution of the "Cod Cannibal" shape. The dates shown are to the best of my knowledge at present.
Regards,
Col

al49 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote al49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2019 at 5:51am
beautifully made lures ,
it a lot better world if you just smile
Danny View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Danny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2019 at 1:24pm
The older lures are by far the better shape/design in my opinion. 
Very nice lures and pictures. 
Dan
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic