LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Lure Discussion > Fishing with Lures > Casting Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Casting

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Ex Member.
Ex Member.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldtrev68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2012 at 11:59am
manif all you people ever get together,you would have to call it a SYDCROME because there are sooooooooooo many TOOLSDevil
fishaholic5 View Drop Down
Industry Member
Industry Member

Illusion Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishaholic5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2012 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by Darby Darby wrote:

a picture is worth a thousand words...why draw when a digi pic is easier, it is the 21st century LOL

I use this method on every spin reel except my big Certate jig reel, only because the weight of the jig tends to pull the braid out from under the finger tip....Embarrassed

Darbs

Illusion Lures
fishaholic5 View Drop Down
Industry Member
Industry Member

Illusion Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fishaholic5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2012 at 12:33pm
LOLLol, I stuffed that upLOLLOLLOL

I find that on heavy or double handed threadline outfits it can be easier to feather the line with the other hand

Cheers
Wal
Illusion Lures
CaptainCranky View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2012 at 3:08pm
All good info,thanks for that Wal.
The Journey is the Reward

GBG View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2012 at 1:05pm
Can I run all this by you Barry please.  I love my Baitcasters but the don't handle the very light lures I like to use at times. So that's where the graphite with a good Spinning reel comes into its own. I have a few at around 2 metres.

Recently I picked up a 7/8 weight fly rod at a Tackle show and that gave me 2. 7/8 weights, so, I have converted one to take the spinning reel.  This gets me over the weeds and waterlillies and great distance on the cast.  Gets a bit heavy on the right hand as the reel is right at the but end so I have extended that now an extra 250 m.

This now gives me a 3 metre spinning rod ( not for the kayak ) fairly stiff action.  What weight braid would you come down to for the small hard plastics and any other tricks I could incorporate for creek and lake fishing.
Mainly Bass fishing but that doesn't stop a Toga from hitting it or a Yellowbelly.

Regards Gordon
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2012 at 12:43am
Gordan It is hard to know what the rod action and stiffness is now that you have converted a 7/8 fly rod.One would think that 3-5kg Braid would suffice.The taper of most conventional fly rods is quite slow or gentle in comparison to some of the lightweight Graphite Spin Rods available on the market now.
You need to load the rod up with a good arc and see what a set of accurate scales read as the optimum kg pressure exerted.Do not overload this test as std taper fly rods will keep on pulling the needle down as the lever of the fly rod shortens.This is how some very large fish are subdued in quick time with a flyrod and someone that has experience with their fighting techniques.
Casting light lures should be a breeze compaired to using a baitcaster.To facillitate casting light lures on a baitcaster one requires a few variables in their favour.
1. A lightweight spool
2.A very educated thumb
3.Precise technique
4.Quality line
5.A suitable rod
The top 3 things are critical.
One of the other problems encountered with light line baitcasting is Thumb Burn which in turn usually means Line overheating then breaking down of the line.
Getting backlashes out of very light Braid also leads to line degredation.
Using the fly rod with the spin reel is not uncommon and certainly works well particularly if thought is given to balance.
All the best with your casting. 

GBG View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2012 at 10:01am
Good info to work on mate.  (Sorry I kept you up late).  This rod had a good feel to it before I extended the butt. That extension gives me the chance to bring the left hand into the cast if needed.

A mate has a set of scales so we will test out the possibilities.  What should I be looking for in kg when I feel I am laying back on a reasonable fish. Have not done a lot of this type of testing as you can see.

Regards Gordon
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2012 at 11:24am
Just a good curve in the rod without overloading it and feeling comfortable to you on the other end.Generally about 90 Deg.Be careful not to pull the tip towards the butt of the rod.

Pearcey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Dave Pearce Lures and OLM Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pearcey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2012 at 5:46pm
heres my little bit for what its worth ive never been really proficient with a bait caster using braid and i find it much easier using a spinning reel ,years ago it was thought that if you didnt have a baitcaster on your rod then you wernt cool or just not a good angler , times have changed now and anglers are catching very big fish using braid and spinning reels, pearcey
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2012 at 6:40pm

I'm with you Pearcey,nothing wrong with spinning reels.I am an old diehard using Baitcasters however the practicality of the matter is when using very light line there are better alternatives.

I good angler with a spinning reel can sometimes be more versatile than the angler with the baitcaster.
Accuracy casting is near equal with either
even though you may get quite an argument from baitcaster only users .     

Pearcey View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Dave Pearce Lures and OLM Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pearcey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2012 at 7:21pm
hello barry i think the drag system on the spinning reels back then were a bit off an issue compared to bait casters that were better quality or more direct from line to spool ,as the spinning reel  got more advanced including instant anti reverse then you could click the bail arm over just as the lure hit the mark just like a baitcaster, pearcey
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2012 at 8:19am
Too true,things have changed and reels have come of age.It was a shame re Jack Erskine's death as back in the early 90's I was hounding him to try and get a spin reel manufacturer to make a direct drive ,slip clutch spin reel.Even at the beginning of this year I was still trying to get Jack to persuade someone to do it.IE.When you put forward pressure on the handle the spool is locked so one can't wind against the drag.As soon as you take pressure off the handle or let it go your drag setting engages.
Seamaster has a fly reel with this system and it is brilliant although there is no line twist with the fly reel anyway.
To do this on a Spinreel would solve a huge amount of operator error problems with these reels.
With technology where it is today I am amazed Shimano or Daiwa has not done this.

GBG View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2012 at 8:54am
Looks like I will have to practice a LOT more with my spinning reel as I don't regard it as comfortable to use as the Baitcaster. I have been spoiled by using an Abu Silver Max for so long I find it hard to put down.

Some thing I haven't been doing is finger to the spool on the Spinning reel, it's always line to the rod.

I guess you blokes would recommend the former hey ?

Regards Gordon
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2012 at 7:05pm
Without doubt the finger on the side of the spool so you can feather the line is a very advantageous way to accuracy cast with a small Threadline outfit.

GBG View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GBG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2012 at 10:04pm
Thanks for all the above boys, I am sure we will talk again.  

That's what I love about fishing and all the gear that goes with it.  It is evolving in lures, lines and rods and the hardware thar goes with it.  Never stop learning.

I date back to the days of black cane, where I selected my stick and bound my own surf rod. 
Been some changes fellas.

Thanks again
WozzAparo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WozzAparo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2012 at 5:01pm

Hi Barry... hope you can help sort out my problem...

I've been out in the back yard practicing my casting for my upcoming FNQ Burdekin trip,
for the life of me I cant get within a bulls roar of my target backhand casting..  Angry
Could you please explain the method ??

I'm using a DAM Quick LC 1000 bait caster with 6kg braid on a 5'6" Wilson Live Fiber 7XX
Cheers WozzA
Lionel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
White Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lionel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2012 at 5:34pm
Hope you can help olmate otherwise I'll have a lure in the back of my head....Ouch
Originally posted by WozzAparo WozzAparo wrote:

Hi Barry... hope you can help sort out my problem...

I've been out in the back yard practicing my casting for my upcoming FNQ Burdekin trip,
for the life of me I cant get within a bulls roar of my target backhand casting..  Angry
Could you please explain the method ??

I'm using a DAM Quick LC 1000 bait caster with 6kg braid on a 5'6" Wilson Live Fiber 7XX
Cheers WozzA
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2012 at 6:25pm
Wozza,make sure you practice with something that has a bit of weight in it.You may be trying to cast a lure that is too light to handle.With the backcast in particular you need to start the cast in front of you and swing back sharply so as to load the rod correctly.Letting your thumb off the line at an earlier stage than with the forward Std type cast is very important with the back cast.Trying to teach you this in words is impossible!Try to find someone on Youtube doing a back cast.Maybe one of our members  would be able to post up a link.

WozzAparo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WozzAparo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2012 at 6:36pm
Ok I'll try the release a bit earlier method...   If it does'nt work Lionel will just have to learn to duck..
no great loss...  Ouch
Thanks..
Lionel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
White Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lionel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2012 at 7:00pm
Be much better if you learn to swim...

Ok I'll try the release a bit earlier method...   If it does'nt work Lionel will just have to learn to duck..
no great loss...  Ouch
Thanks..
WozzAparo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WozzAparo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2012 at 8:15am
SWIM ??? no way.... there's LIZZARDS in that water...  Shocked
I'd be able to give JC some tips on walking on water..
I found this site... http://www.ehow.com/info_8190024_casting-techniques-baitcasting-reels.html
 so I tryed the early release method with a little more weight on the line & YES it's getting there... more practice needed.. Clap

Originally posted by Lionel Lionel wrote:

Be much better if you learn to swim...

no great loss...  Ouch
Thanks..
Digitalis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Digitalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2013 at 12:46am
Hello CaptainCranky,
 Not sure if I'm in the right thread but anyway, I do need some educating!
I've recently recieved a bunch of lures from Fysshe, ( Thank you very much again and I do hope you join in with my education.) even the largest of these lures are very light, most of these I will stick with 2kg threadine outfit. The baitcaster will be less wrist, more thumb and a whole lot of practise!
The main point I'm getting to is style of lures and how to fish them.
The one's in question
1, Boyne, has a long pointed bib, I imagine for a tight action but still a little depth or maybe to dig into the bottom and plough?
2, Cania, A square bib with the tow point well forward?
3, Nerang, A long bib, tow point central and a weight at the front?
Any help or sugestions before I hit the water with them will be appreciated.
 Thanks for your time, Matt.

It's only a stick untill it has TEETH MARKS in it!!!
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2013 at 7:18pm
I Matt,There are 3 rules I live by when lure fishing.
 NO.1 Put the lure in the right place
No.2 Do it at the right time
No.3 When it is in the right place at the right time work the lure correctly to suit the situation and the fish you are after.
I do not know the fish you are chasing.
I like to do as much with the lure as I can while it is in a good spot.
On our last Bass trip to PNG I learnt quite a bit particularly when trolling.
Although you described the lures you want to use I am not familiar with them.
The Boyne certainly seems like it would get down and have a tight wiggle but not pull hard on the angler.This is a lure I like a lot and when casting I work it as slow as I can but fast enough to still impart the injured baitfish look.Stopping and starting with this type of lure also works well.
The Cania sounds like a shallow diver  which I like to twitch with the rod tip on a slow retrieve.
The Narang should get down as well and sounds like it would be a good trolling or casting lure that would bump over snags without getting caught up.
When your lure is in spot that you think is a good one do not be in a hurry to rip it out of the strike zone.Do as much with it as you can so as to give your quarry plenty of time to bite it.
See how you go and good luck!

Fysshe Salmon View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2013 at 11:32pm
Barry, spot on with your recommendations! Just as the lures were designed for. The Boyne has a tight action with very little drag and gets down quite deep. The Cania has a wide action and good for slow trolling or a shallow retrieve. The Nerang was made for trolling the canals of the Gold Coast for Jacks and was very effective!! Hope you enjoy trialling those lures Matt.
Fysshe
Digitalis View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Digitalis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2013 at 7:04pm
Barry and Ian, thanks for your quick response with great infomation.
I haven't tried those ones out yet but now I know how they should work I will use them in the right places.
I have scored threafin on the troll with the Calliope and Teemburra in the Fitzroy, only small but runs on the board!
Thanks again and lovin Lure Lovers!
Cheers Matt..
It's only a stick untill it has TEETH MARKS in it!!!
Mr frosty View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr frosty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2016 at 5:18pm
I think i might take up golf, it seems to speed the lures to their desored location nicely.....
Mr frosty View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr frosty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2016 at 6:14pm
[QUOTE=GBG] DIV]
I date back to the days of black cane, where I selected my stick and bound my own surf rod. 

Wow, id love to make my own cane rod. Do you teach the skills? And do you live near or in brisbane?
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2016 at 7:26pm
Hi Jason and thankyou for your Inputt.
No pun intended
I live in Cairns but there is a good chance I will be at the Lure & Fly Expo on the 16th & 17th July.
That is about as close as I will get to you for a bit.

Mr frosty View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr frosty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2016 at 9:51pm
Cool capt'n, thanks. I originally come from El Arish, ( northern turn off to Mission Beach). Mum n dad still live there. When im coming up that way next i'd like to get the chance to shoot the back nine with you ( learn some new skills ) how long will you plan to be here for the fish show? If you have some extra time, i'd like to meet you.
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2016 at 7:16am
Be there for a week maybe

Mr frosty View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr frosty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2016 at 1:42pm
Awesome, would love to meet. Pls let me know timings ect
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic