LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Soft Plastics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

lure made with no mold that catches most species

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote senkosam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: lure made with no mold that catches most species
    Posted: 11 Jan 2016 at 12:01pm
I fish only freshwater lakes and rivers in NY and have caught many species in the many years I've fished using many different types of lures.  About five years ago, I accidentally discovered how to make a soft plastic lure from a table spoon. Using a microwave, plastic, dye and glitter, I was able to come up with many designs that have caught hundreds of fish - and no mold was used to make them!

If interested, reply.
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2016 at 5:53pm
That would be very good to seeThumbs Up
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
Davent View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2016 at 6:37pm
Interested.
Atheism is a non prophet organisation
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2016 at 9:36pm
I'm keen to see that,its always good to learn something new
that's no how ye make porridge!
Steve B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2016 at 9:56pm
Hi Frank
Very interested, more info and pics please. Love your posts, clearly you are a thinker.
Cheers Steve
senkosam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote senkosam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 6:07am

The above are just one type of dip-baits, meaning they were cut from a flat sheet of poured plastic and dipped a few times in a pyrex cup of hot plastic. The lure above look like a core-shot bait, but actually the form was made as described and then dipped in clear plastic.

The thin-tail lures below were done the same way except the tails were not dipped - only the bodies to build up just enough thickness for my small jig heads.

When I say I use the above lure design almost 90 % of the time, I mean just that! The thin tail design has caught seven freshwater species - including an 18 lb carp - which is the reason I carry CD cases holding various colors and sizes.

The tail may be dipped to form a prong as seen in a few lures above. Body shape and dimensions are limited only by the imagination. In fact, a few weeks ago I found a lure which looked like a bullet in reverse laying on my work bench:

The bottom one one would think has no action and you'd be wrong. Using slight rod twitches make the lure waddle and glide - more than enough action to catch two dozen pan fish in 40 degree water the first time it was fished!

Here are a few species caught on the dipped minnow:

I caught this bass using a 1/8 oz jig. 2/0 hook and a 3" poured minnow grub.

Getting back to the process, as seen in the photo, I used an old glassy floor tile to pour the initial sheet and using a razor blade, cut the forms to be dipped, as seen below:

Tip: pour a second layer over the first sheet so that you won't melt the body shape if the plastic is too hot, but keep it away from the thin area you want to be the tail.  280 degrees and less is fine for dipping .

Tip: other soft plastic lures can be dipped to make them thicker such as a bass or pan fish tube, or a minnow shaped lure such as a Zoom Fluke where the body was cut in half lengthwise and dipped in clear plastic.

senkosam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote senkosam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 7:15am
One thing I forgot to mention was that the accidental discovery involved me stirring hot plastic with a table spoon.  I stirred it a second time to pour a mold lure and noticed the sheet of plastic. I immediately thought of candle making which involves dipping wax many time to make it thicker.

So, I cut out a shape and dipped it. Thus the spoon minnow was invented! Clap
A few year later I thought about metal spoon lures in general and frog baits in particular that are used on the surface. Using a serving spoon, I poured the plastic into it, dipped the pointed end to make it thick enough for a hook coil and pulled a few silicone tails through the back end as a skirt.
Thus was invented the spoon turtle.

Bass and pickerel kill it in spring!

Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 8:04am
Amazing you have not relied on a mold.

That spoon turtle lure what is the difference in the action if the cup is facing down.

I presume in its current form it creates a small bow wave.

Regards  John
Steve B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 8:23am
Hi Frank
What kind of plastic are you melting? Do you add colour or is the plastic already that shade? Very interesting process.
Cheers Steve
senkosam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote senkosam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 11:56am
The action comes from the same rod tip pops we give a Zara Spook to make it waddle back and forth in the pads. The convex bottom allows the lure to dip side to side giving it the waddle.

I've been using plastisol lure making plastic. There are many who sell it and some of it is crap!
M-F Mfg. is a good plastic which mixes easiest and there are a few others I like and will buy depending on shipping and price.  The same companies sell dye colors added to the molten plastic, measured in drops - the variety of colors is over 40.  But another dye you've probably heard about is Spike-It.  I dab it to the outside of a lure with a pipe cleaner or dip the lure in the bottle for a permanent color change.

I sell heat- resistant, non-metallic glitter that doesn't run or melt in hot plastic. Glitter provides color, flash and internal contrast (black flake). I like using fine silver flakes in clear. (the yellow perch picture)

I probably have over 35 molds that cover most designs, some I've made myself in plaster. The injection molds I own do a phenomenal job of making professional looking lures, but fish could care less. Most of the lures I've made have caught fish of different species so I never need by soft plastics off the shelf - not unless I want to copy one in plaster.

Making lures in my basement work shop makes time pass faster in winter or when I can't fish and of course I can't wait to try my creations in spring!

Here's an example of how some fish just can't help themselves:

What was that fish thinking when it hit my hand poured 6" worm?!!!! pink no less!
Same for this yellow perch that ate my hand poured fluke:

Or this white perch on one of my 4" ring worms:

injection worms: the chartreuse was dipped in Spike It

injection worm:

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 4:46pm
Our saratoga would smash those turtle spoons skimming them through a water lilly filled billabong.
Martin-

senkosam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote senkosam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 9:05pm
Do you eat saratoga ?
Absolutely beautiful fish! (though they do remind me of carp.)
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2016 at 4:26pm
A sport fish - they go hard and often like to jump. Some of the indigenous folk here eat them, but I have been told they are very boney.
Martin-

senkosam View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote senkosam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2016 at 9:13pm
Carp are bony. It' recommended that to prepare them one clean them, nail the flesh to a board, cook it over a fire, throw away the fish and eat the board.LOL  The Brits love them and consider carp a game fish.

We don't consider them a sport fish, same as catfish - though catfish depending on the water taken from is easy to clean and a good fish to eat. There are catfish farms that raise them for sale to super markets and restaurants down south specialize in catfish recipes.

Both species mentioned when caught are incredibly strong when they get over 10 lbs. and both take artificial lures at times.

Do either of you eat any of the fish you catch?
Ducks View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2016 at 9:23pm
I like that spoon shape. Reminds me of a wider version of the old black mamba plastics.
I love to eat fish. But I haven't eaten any freshwater fish here for a long time. Luckily I have access to saltwater species I really like to eat like Flathead kingfish and Jewfish.
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2016 at 5:35pm
I like trout, our yellowbelly when just legal size. I also like freshwater barra, our eel tailed catfish and sooty grunter caught from a clean river. But I really like freshwater long tom and our sleepy cod - very very good eating...... then there is our salt water species - not many I don't like.
Martin-

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic