LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Australian Lures > QLD Lures > Flicks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RIP Flick

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handbrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RIP Flick
    Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 7:14am
I had a phonecall from Trevron yesterday to tell me that
Alex Flick Robertson passed away in hospital. (11/1/2016).
Flick started making lures in the early 80s and created many styles targeting bass, goldens, cod and barra.
I met Flick years ago when he was testing lures at Glenlyon Dam and after a lot of years I called him and we talked for hours about his process of making lures and how he designed his lathe machine. Norm Collingwood drove Flick to the 2014 Lure Expo to say hello. I was honoured and this photo was taken then. He was accompanied by his portable oxygen machine to which became part of his life for quite a while.
Let's celebrate the life of Alex Flick Robertson by posting up your photos of his wonderful lures.
Debbie Dare
handbrake View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handbrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 7:30am
[IMG]
bullrout22 View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bullrout22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 7:45am
Debbie

I saw him there but did not get a chance to meet him he was to busy talking to you,and it looked like he was having a top day

Very sad RIP Flick you will live on with your Lures mate

Dave Lake Macquarie N.S.W

Turning Point View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turning Point Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 8:51am
Alex "Flick" Robertson was a founding father of the Kingaroy Sportfishing Club and was one of the three people who attended the ANSAQ conference in Yeppoon to affiliate with them. The KSFC holds a tagging event for Saratoga each year and the most successful tagger is recognised with an award in Flick's name.
We are very sad to have lost our mate and our thoughts are with Pat and the family. I will post the funeral arrangements as the come to hand.
Brendan Moore
KSFC
Turning Point View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Turning Point Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 2:44pm
Flick's funeral will be held at the Kingaroy Catholic Church at 10 am Tuesday 19/1/2016
Regards
Brendan
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 4:28pm
RIP Flick. I don't have any of his lures but have always liked them.
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2016 at 5:03pm
Damn it.This hurts.Cry. I missed having a chat at the expo, and having known Flick ince the late 80's and fished and bulls&%tted alongside him at G-lyon and his favourite Booniedooma Wink,  A wonderful bloke, gave when he could and shared too often ....the world is a poorer place once more.
This ones for you ol' mate..

"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

handbrake View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote handbrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2016 at 12:00am
Here are some more of my Flick's.
hypnos View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hypnos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2016 at 5:33am
nice display deb  Thumbs Up
cheers
bazz
a wife & a steady job are a handicap to the serious fisherman !!
matt fraser View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Barambah Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matt fraser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2016 at 10:09am

I only met him on a couple of occasions at Kingaroy SFC Boondooma Bashs' in the early to mid 90s. I only ever bought two lures off him directly, (one out of his own tackle box). As he was a bit cagey about selling them to guys from other clubs.

Flicks Cobras were one of the first small Aussie lures to dive to 20 foot plus, and had a tight action that appealed to bass and yellas in the South East Queensland impoundments particularly. They were always highly sought after, but hard to get until later in the 90s when he increased production with a copy lathe.

His lure making started in the early 80s when he was heavily involved with ANSA and the Kingaroy SFC.
Here is a few of his older models, 3 and 4" Tigers, Cigars and large original Cobras

His earlier Cobras with painted eyes and slight variations in shapes

Later model Cobras off the copy lathe with stickered eyes

Four sizes of cobra, narrow bib, 10, 15 and 20ft
Later Flicks Cobras in packets

RIP Flick Robinson

Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2016 at 12:05pm
Condolences to the family
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
madoldeel View Drop Down
Ex Member.
Ex Member.
fake profile

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote madoldeel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2016 at 8:33pm
Only have 1 Flick`s lure a Cobra & only got it today,looks like it would slay large lizards.
jebe View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jebe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2016 at 9:06pm
Sad news
My condolences
Justin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic