LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > The Art of Fly Tying
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reducing curls in fly line

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reducing curls in fly line
    Posted: 14 Jan 2016 at 8:57pm
Tried stretching it ,leaving in the hot sun most of the day.

Maybe winding it  back on the reel  each evening does not help the cause each time after stretching either.

Tried the U tube system could not find anything there, i was told a good place to try

I wondered if I heated ,warmed it in water could that/ would  that effect the line or not.

Anybody else had this problem and solved it, or do I need to get a new fly line.

Regards John
reel deal View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reel deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2016 at 9:48pm
Hi John,

Need to know what brand, weight and type of fly line... you might need to find your wallet

Whilst it is now summer, a tropical fly line (cortland is mine) will behave like a brat as the Alpine water temps will cool the line on entry and heat up again in the ambient temp and humidity.

Dare I assume you are using a #4 or #6... forward taper - floater ??

Vice versa ... a sun heated sinking line will cool on entry and stay cool much longer.

I had major issues with reel curl lines with those pesky 1" and 2" little rings but found once I kept the line very clean and barrell wrapped around a 20 litre bucket, the issue minimised.

Better still, nail a big brown and it will stretch it for you

I might ring you

wadey (popovic) haha

www.reeldealfishing.com.au
kayargh1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kayargh1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2016 at 8:02am
Different brands of fly line display different kinds of memory characteristics. Some times it seems to be related to the choice of core material - the early Airflow lines used a very low stretch core (kevlar, spectra or similar) that effectively resisted straightening and sometimes to the choice of outer coating material is the variable. As Wadey says, the coating on some lines is perfect in warmer situations but less so when things cool off - in my experience Varivas lines can be an example of that - supple when its hot but a little pigtail-ish when it is cold. That is one reason why immersing the line in warm water may not be a lasting solution - the line will probably over time revert to type. You also have to be careful that the water is not too hot. If it is, you risk cracking the outer coating and reducing the buoyancy of the line. That is a problem experienced with some of the lines that were home dyed for use in NZ. The solution is to get a good all round line, something like Scientific Anglers Trout. Regards, Ken.
Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2016 at 8:26am
Thanks Wadey

It is a weight forward #9 weight  Rio  Bonefish outbound fly line I have been using to punch into and slightly side on to the wind when it decides to blow up here.

It works, caught a number of fish, it is heavy and a hard slog all night /evening fishing with it.

Like the idea of a bucket will give it a try and leave it off the reel till returning home.

Thanks Ken will do some research on your suggestion this arvo

Appreciate the input

Tackle World Canberra been taken over by new owners from Sydney

I understand they are intending to up date the old fly fishing  stock in the very near future , after talking to one of the new sale persons.

Regards John

reel deal View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reel deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2016 at 9:53am
Did I read a #9 Shocked.....You are shooting rabbits with a cannon Shocked..

Holy hell John, I use an #8 for light inshore and estuary - fish under 5 kilos etc

I used my #9/10 for that 7 kilo milkfish last February !!!

You need to drop back to at least a #6 and you will be able to cast all day.

Do you have a lighter outfit ???? - I have a seldom used #6 rod and reel - happy to get it to you for 'work experience'..

wadey

www.reeldealfishing.com.au
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2016 at 9:57am
theres your problem John,thats a tropic style fly line so might not like being hot then cold.when you eventually replace your flyline maybe something suited for salmon might be the go?,i'd think thered be nice cold water weight forward high wind line available might be expensive and you may have to buy it online though
that's no how ye make porridge!
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2016 at 10:53am
When you are battling 30 to 40klms winds you need something to get a bit of distance.

If it is practical I use my Sage 6# and  drop down to my Sage 4# weight with drys when calm, then you have a fight on your hands.

I am current using the (9#weight )  on a Strudwick three piece 8# rod , 9ft long

I have wrapped the line tightly around a large bucket interested to see how it works

36 c degrees Wednesday 5.6 C this morning large temperature differences  maybe not helping as well

Thanks 

Regards John
MadDogLures View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Mad Dog Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadDogLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2016 at 5:51pm
John, I might catch the first BIG rainbow  Wink if you are having troubles and that reminds me to check my line Thumbs Up

Cheers cobber,
Dave

Life is fishing!
Big-Pete View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Big-Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2016 at 9:27pm
John as puglee stated that line was developed for the tropics there are lines available to use in colder climates. It wont really matter how much you stretch it heat it, it will continue to curl.

Maybe a shooting head with a running line might work better for you, they cast a mile and should puch into the wind for you.

Big-Pete
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2016 at 12:50pm
Tried the bucket, larger rings, less congestion through the first eye.

Also had the strong win so good test.

Will try tonight again and then  scout around for another line for that out fit

Thanks for the input everyone

Regards john
p.j. View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
P.J's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.j. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2016 at 5:19am
Hi John.
Have you ever tried a Fly line condisioner I think it is called. Most stores have some. It cleans an maintain the line. I use to hang/stretch the line up and aplay the conditioner. It gives new life to the coating and usually longer cast.
Knaek & Break
        Per
P.J. LURES
SO SMOKING HOT
EVEN CUSTOM DOGS LIKE THEM
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2016 at 6:51am
Thanks p.j.

Yes do all that and stretch it 3-4 times a week due to at least nightly fishing 
Ken  (Kayargh1)  put me onto Scientific angler they had round 60 different lines for cold climates
and the Bonefish one is not one of them.

Just need a cold weather fly line for that rig and checking out Alpine Angler this week when I collect my top section of sage the previous tip savaged by my front  car door.

Regards John

p.j. View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
P.J's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote p.j. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2016 at 6:59am
Hope you find a line you can use John. Think most off the lines here are fore the colder weather. I have always used the same lines both Summer and winter here. Mostly Scientific anglers. Smile
P.J. LURES
SO SMOKING HOT
EVEN CUSTOM DOGS LIKE THEM
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic