LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

screweyes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mako223 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: screweyes
    Posted: 15 Jan 2016 at 1:46pm
Ihello lure makers .i have been making mi own lures and swimmbaits for a long time but alwayse have used the thru wire sistem as im not trusting the screweyes.even with epoxy fixed .so mo question is
.is there anyone ot os there any data facts on the pull strenght before the actual screweyes will pull out of the lure body?? Thank you
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2016 at 2:02pm
Its a lot...unless fishing for marlin id have no concerns if done right.
Jas
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
Ducks View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2016 at 2:02pm
I don't know about any published data.  You would probably need to rely on peoples observations.
I think it was Shane Love who posted a video a couple of years back of hanging something like 60 kilos of weight through the towpoint to rear hook hanger on a lure with twisted wire hangers araldited in?
From my own experience, I've had screw eyes (not glued) come back a bit loose but never fail completely.  Generally the amount of force needed to do any damage there is going to find a weaker spot much sooner. ie. straightened hooks, opened rings, broken line...
Blinky View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Blinky's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blinky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2016 at 2:34pm
Here's some testing I did.

Twisted Wire Testing
Blinky.

Blinky's Lures.
The lures that catch fish, not fishermen.........
Facebook
samurai View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
JaySea Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samurai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2016 at 4:29pm
Screw eyes I say, me I'm more a legs manEmbarrassed Sorry could not help myself.

Warren
Any Brand Of Lure Is Only As Good As The Fishermen Using It.
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2016 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by samurai samurai wrote:

Screw eyes I say, me I'm more a legs manEmbarrassed Sorry could not help myself.

Warren

warren at your age i thought you"d take whatever you could get LOL
sorry couldnt help myself
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
mako223 View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mako223 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2016 at 8:16pm
Lol Samurai ..good one ..lol
Thank you all for clarifying this for me ..i am at peace now ..i will start using them then ..it will make mi work alot more quicker and easy ..
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2016 at 8:19pm
Many makers used split pins -just glued in. Being a straight shaft then I would be worried (unless somebody had tested this type) but some grooves cut in them should give enough bite.
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
milkshake sudz View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote milkshake sudz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2016 at 11:15am
I just bought some 23 mm screw eyes, they seem small but appear to hold well. If it means anything, I got one of my lures stuck in my back pack and the line snapped before the eye hook came out, and I intentionally pulled it really hard to see just how strong it was.
In the future the plan is to screw them in, back them out, insert glue, screw back in.
I might suggest using a pull scale for setting drag to see how strong they are. I haven't done this yet because i haven't wanted to destroy a lure to do so but, research and development requires its sacrifices.

Besides all that, be assured, when you catch that big one, no matter how strong that screw eye is, if its going to go, it will be then.

mako223 View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mako223 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2016 at 1:23pm
Thank you all for more replays and make me feel more confy by making them this way ..i do have a jointed swimbait with epoxyed screweyes .i will take one for the team and il make a video while i will put the lure under pulling pressure and il have a weightscale attached ..untill then tight lines guys
..if anyone like to see mi work look me up on fb on AJ CUSTOM LURES
Cheers all
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2016 at 5:13pm
Just visited your FB page, I ,like your moth stick baitApprove
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2016 at 10:51pm
I assume you guys that are handy with your hands and make all these lures use screws that the thread  runs right up to the circle.

I can remember seeing a promotion in an American tackle  catalogue early to mid 80's promoting/commencing to sell these new screws with the thread right up to the circle and relative light gauge with several lengths on offer at the time.

regards John
fletch View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Kuttafurra Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fletch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2017 at 12:15am
Ive done tests on all screweyes . Did videos on it . Once set up scales again can do more if like ..
Fish dont buy lures
Barndog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barndog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 12:33pm
Hi all

To everyone that does use screw eyes - what size do you use and where do you source them?
al49 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote al49 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2018 at 6:55pm
getting my screweyes from jannsnetcraft for me from states.very good to deal with too.havnt had one fail yet on my barra or saltwater fishing
it a lot better world if you just smile
Cod Classic View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cod Classic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2018 at 10:54pm
All depends on how they are glued in and how long they are. Unfortunately lost my biggest ever Barra (120cm+) to a pulled screw eye that would have been no longer than 12mm. I can no longer bring myself to using a lure from this manufacturer as to lack of faith sadly :-(
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic