LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures > Timbers for lure making
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Massive timber sale!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Powell Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Powelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Massive timber sale!
    Posted: 22 Jan 2016 at 6:09pm
Wauchope Wood and Turning Supplies is hosting a massive clearance sale from 26 January to 5 February. Everything must go, no reasonable offer refused.

http://www.timbersalewauchope.com/about.html

Beer

Travers
Powelly View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Powell Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Powelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 1:46pm
We were away for the 2 weeks of the timber sale.  Got home last night and gave David Hayes a call this morning.  He said that only about half the timber was sold.  I drove out to Wauchope this morning and bought some Red Cedar and White Beech - $60

There is untold amounts of Aust Red Cedar and White Beech.  There is probably only about 1 cubic metre of Brown Beech, but it was too big for me. I was hoping to pick up heaps of Brown Beech, but I don't have the gear to rip it properly.

There are about 80 different types of timber, in large quantities, so it's worth a look if you need timber.

Beer

Travers
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 4:27pm
Wish I was a lot closer :( , some of that Wht Beech would be nice
"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

matt fraser View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Barambah Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matt fraser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 4:52pm
Thanks Travers, yep wish I was closer too!! I have never tried white or brown beach, but I hear it is very good.

Cheers,

Matt
Powelly View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Powell Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Powelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by matt fraser matt fraser wrote:

Thanks Travers, yep wish I was closer too!! I have never tried white or brown beach, but I hear it is very good.

Cheers,

Matt

Matt

Brown Beech (Bolly Gum) is my preferred carving timber. It's easy to carve, very forgiving grain, water stable and sands well.  Peter Newell used Bolly Gum a lot.

White Beech is a bit like soft rock (talc?) to carve and sands super smooth.

You need to try some!

Travers
hazmail View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Rayna Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hazmail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2016 at 7:33pm
HUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM - wish I lived closer Travers, I would kill for some planks of Beech.
Pete
   'RAYNA' ---Free Range Lures
peterayn@yahoo.com.au
Powelly View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Powell Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Powelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2016 at 6:02pm
I called in to Wauchope Timber and Turning Supplies today and they still have heaps of timber left.

Good to see some lure makers taking advantage of this timber. I saw a couple of large packs of White Beech ready to send to Gidgee Lures and another pack heading to Wagga.

I'm very tempted to buy some more timber, but not sure that I have that much lure carving left in me! Confused

Anyhow, if people are still chasing timber, it's worth giving them a call.

Beer

Travers
Sav63 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sav63 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2016 at 10:38am
Thanks for the tip Travers, went for a drive  to Wauchope last weekend and picked up some timber, white & brown beech, red cedar, silky oak & banksia. David is great bloke, it will be a little harder to find good timber once he has finished up.

Cheers
Mark
Sav63[/
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic