LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Lure Discussion > Fishing with Lures > Favourite Lure by species
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dirty water bass

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FLETCHER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dirty water bass
    Posted: 13 Feb 2016 at 4:33pm
Hi guys
I must say firstly i love this site, it's a lure fisherman's dream come true. I don't post much but I look in very regularly.
I am a keen Bass fisherman and have a problem that I am sure others most likely have as well. I mostly fish the Hastings and Macleay rivers and find it very difficult to catch bass when there is a rise in the river ( doesn't have to be much )  or in dirty water. I have tried infinite variables in lures, retrieves, and locations. All with the same result.
The further up river I head under these conditions the more fickle they seem to become.
I would like to hear from those ( as I am sure others LL members would ) that catch the buggers in these conditions, and just how to go about it, what lures you use etc.
Looking forward to some interesting replies.
Cheers Bruce. 
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2016 at 8:55am
I have found a very small dark (black, purple, dark blue etc) jig head with a very dark tail fished close to rocks - preferably over rapids.

I know of others that fish the still discoloured water with similar coloured lures.
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
Ducks View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2016 at 9:02am
I'm by no means an expert but in dirty running water I usually go surface.
In a couple of small dams where I know the bass feed on gambusia almost exclusively I fish small translucent bream lures like clear sx40s in all conditions and they always work.
FLETCHER View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FLETCHER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2016 at 9:32am
Thanks for your input horrorhead and Ducks. Looks like its back to the drawing board for me, I will just have to keep experimenting some more.
Interestingly enough when the bass are on their way back up river after their spawning run in October around the Kempsey area I have caught them in some pretty ordinary conditions. I find they tend to go deeper in the water column and hug the weed beds. By fishing deeper and waving the lure past their nose normally entices the strike.    
RVLuresAus View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RVLuresAus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2016 at 8:44pm
Experienced some tough conditions this year too. Found the water to be solid brown and cold, freezing cold. Check out the water colour in the pic (typically day after heavy rains-yuck) Good thing was, most guys don't go in those conditions so I had the rivers to myself. Fished deep and slow. Nosing deep diving lures along the bottom of weed patches at an annoyingly slow pace. Needed to be patient. Mixed that up with grubbing 3inch plastics along the bottom too. Bites were really subtle, like bream on a finicky day, weird for a bass bite. Took a couple of trips to crack a pattern, glad I stuck it out. Hope that helps. Good hunting the next time the dirty water arrives- Voorbz.

FLETCHER View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FLETCHER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2016 at 12:02pm
Thanks for sharing your experience RVL. Nice Bass you have there, makes me keen to get back out there and play around some more.
If you don't mind me asking, what colour grubs were you using and were you hoping/twitching them or just a very slow roll.
Heading out for a four day camping trip so hopefully there will be a few on the chew.
Cheers Bruce.
RVLuresAus View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RVLuresAus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2016 at 12:53pm
Was using 3inch and 4 inch Z-Man Minnowz in the Houdini and Pinfish colours. Very slow/ short lifts off the bottom, watching and feeling for the inquisitive bump or movement of line. Like painfully slow flathead style jigging. Slow/ deep rolling works too when they are more active. You'll have to work that out on the day. Best of luck.
bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2016 at 9:39am
in dirty water i all ways resort to black lures divers &surface seems to work well in the hunter/ williams &patterson rivers for me on bass Big smileBig smileBig smileregards bob
MadDogLures View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Mad Dog Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadDogLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2016 at 8:57pm
Love dark green for dirty water and red bellyThumbs Up

Cheers
Dave
Life is fishing!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic