LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Lure Discussion > Lure Collecting > Displaying your Lure collection
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"SUPA-STANDS" ha ha

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waxie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "SUPA-STANDS" ha ha
    Posted: 27 Feb 2016 at 10:28pm
Being a rookie - I was chatting with Steve B who has been very helpful.

I asked him if he knew where I could get some of those Perspex - or polycarb display stands - so I could take photos and display my limited collection.

We started to talk wire & I started to scheme up some ideas.

Coming from Africa (Rhodesia - Zimbabwe)originally but proud to be an adopted Aussie.

I have seen many models made of wire in Africa (kids cars - model planes etc)- even seen a Nissan patrol going virtually side ways down a corrugated dirt road - (spring made of fresh hardwood tree cut in the bush and tied in place with fencing wire nicked for a fence line situated alongside the road where the original spring(metal one) had disintegrated).
Some ingenuity the black fellows had done 120km on dirt like this and were nearly home.

First - cut prototype below made with 316 stainless wire.

Do you guys know who made this lure??(I will also post it in the what the blazes section)

Then came the first cut "SNAKE" the idea with this one is minimalism - you cant see it when looking at the lure - so the lure takes "CENTRE STAGE"
You can also concertina it in and out to take different size lures

Look no stand just lure!!!

Here's the stand - pictured below

Firstcut SNAKE concertinaed down to 6 cm

Second Cut SNAKE -- (CUTSNAKE MKII)

Then my son had a look and said not enough "bling" he proceeded to unwind some heavily coated copper wire from an electric component robbed out of a microwave oven he had been stripping to pieces.

Here's the "Bling effect - Wave"

The stand only

Then I messaged these to Steve B and he liked the ideas and said Fung Shui wave - now I had to make my imagined Fug Shui wave - but one that concertina's and can hold real big deep sea lures 18cm to 23cm and concertina down to I suppose 10cm. Here goes
"Fung-Shui WAVE
prototype

The stand is then resized from a 23cm lure down to a 10cm lure

Then the stand is resized again to a very heavy 18Cm lure

Finally a little collection of stands

Now I am on a roll - Grand stands to be fabricated tonight if my wire length permits

I am open to all your learned suggestions.

Thanks
Waxie
P.S. I have so much to learn -(sorry the image pixel size is too big have still to learn to resize downward)
P.S.S. Any assistance with lures will be received with tremendous gratitude.
Positive Focus
Steve B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Steve B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2016 at 10:37pm
Hi Wayne,
Nice, they look good
Cheers Steve
hypnos View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote hypnos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2016 at 5:57am
wayne
you can fix your resizing problem  easily - download free Microsoft Powertoy Image Resizer - very easy & quick to use 
cheers 
bazz
a wife & a steady job are a handicap to the serious fisherman !!
Ducks View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2016 at 8:54am
The windows powertoy resizer only works on WinXP I think.
I haven't been able to find a compatible version for later versions.
There are others but I've never found one as easy to use.
Saying all that I think the forum resizes the uploaded images anyway.
Waxie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waxie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2016 at 9:03am
Thanks I just downloaded the resizer but did not have any joy using it with windows 8.1
There must be an option to enable resizing - just got to find it.
Great if the site re-sizes any way.
Thanks
Guys
Waxie
Positive Focus
hypnos View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hypnos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2016 at 12:13pm
ducks
i am using windows 10 & the powertoy image resizer works fine 
cheers 
bazz
a wife & a steady job are a handicap to the serious fisherman !!
Ducks View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2016 at 3:22pm
Cool. Looks like they finally listened and brought it back!
Waxie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waxie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2016 at 6:22pm
Hi All
Here are the prototype grandstand photos

N.B This is a PROTOTYOPE the black tape is to be removed and replaced with binding using thin nickel coated wire. Maybe this can be moved in proto Mk II to the rear of the stand so it becomes invisible (overshadowed by the lures).

I just received some Fysshe beauties - hand autographed - wrapped in Salmon monographed paper and a nude one to add a further special touch - also a prototype "Down under mini-min FYSSHE" - Thanks Ian - I hope this grandstand really shows off the lures and not the stand.
This is the whole idea I wanted to display lures not stands - Perspex or poly carb stands are not in keeping with some of your special hand crafted vintage lures as this material is not really a vintage material. Wood is OK but does one want to see wood or are we really wanting to have an uninterrupted view of Australian craftsmanship. Wire is a very old material and is in keeping with all eras. what do you experts think?

Positive Focus
Waxie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waxie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2016 at 11:58pm
Need to bump this one up to find out what people think of grandstands.
How does one do this?
Positive Focus
Fysshe Salmon View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2016 at 12:18am
Looking good Wayne, you can vary the tiers of the grandstands to suit sets of lures in different sizes!
Fysshe
Waxie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waxie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2016 at 12:46am
Thanks Ian
Yes this is very easily done - also can vary number of steps for different sets.
So it is very quick to make and versatile to lures - being 316 stainless its pretty strong too - could also vary gauge or wire for rigidity or for very heavy lures.
Cheers
Waxie
Positive Focus
nickbru View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nickbru Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2016 at 8:51am
These look great
NRB
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2016 at 4:14pm
Stands look great mateThumbs Up
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
bilge View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Bill Jackson Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bilge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2016 at 9:11pm
Great idea I like it
 billj
The older I get the more I learn.
Steve B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2016 at 7:12am
Hi Wayne
I like what you've done here, great way to display more lures in a confined space, I think we've all got issues with limited space and lures that seem to breed and multiply I think the increased visibility is a great feature, well done.
Cheers Steve
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic