LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > International Lures > North American Fishing Lures > USA Lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bill Norman

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bill Norman
    Posted: 03 May 2016 at 6:25pm
Came across adout a dozen Bill Norman
Lure in boxes the other day if any body
Is interested in them send me a message
And I will shoot you some photos
Cheers Mark
Doc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2016 at 10:30am
I am looking for a specific bill norman orange top chrome bottom black spots and the bib is held in by a screw from underneath the body was about 35mm to 40mm long with raised cross hatching on the sides It was a lure that I brorrowed !!! from a 2nd hand tackle box my father bought 30+ years ago got me into fishing with lures lost it at Wyangla Dam with at least 30 knotches on it all yellos and cod 2 trout at Wyangla Would like to return it to him 
rivermandave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rivermandave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2016 at 4:11am
Originally posted by Doc Doc wrote:

I am looking for a specific bill norman orange top chrome bottom black spots and the bib is held in by a screw from underneath the body was about 35mm to 40mm long with raised cross hatching on the sides It was a lure that I brorrowed !!! from a 2nd hand tackle box my father bought 30+ years ago got me into fishing with lures lost it at Wyangla Dam with at least 30 knotches on it all yellos and cod 2 trout at Wyangla Would like to return it to him 

Do you realize that is about 1 1/2" long?

The "cross-hatching" you mention reminds me of this Rebel lure

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Rebel-Fastrac-Jointed-Minnow-Fishing-Lure-in-yellow-orange-5-25-overall-/131774057748
Doc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2016 at 2:58pm
In the late 70s they were very similar in shape and construction but is was a Bill Norman just a little smaller in the body as well
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2016 at 4:30pm
still good bass lures to this day
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2016 at 5:40pm
Used to like my Bill Normans on bass.
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
Chep Buxley View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chep Buxley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2016 at 7:14pm
Originally posted by horrorhead horrorhead wrote:

Used to like my Bill Normans on bass.

I still do
Doc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2016 at 2:36pm
Funny enough the yellows around the mid Namoi river loved them I caught so many I retired it and one day at Whyangla dam and no fish So out she came 2 rainbows with it and 8 fishos on a long weekend, I did not glote MUCH!!!
Werriscreekwonda View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Woods Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Werriscreekwonda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2016 at 3:04pm
The old rebel deep humbacks or humpys were a great lure in the namoi river.
Still got a few in the tackle collection.
Doc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2016 at 3:06pm
I read an article about Bill Norman that he worked for an injection moulding company making his lures then left and started Rebel lures the moulding company took him to court over the similarities and when he started his new business, and where keeping his bonous for a breach of of his employment conditions the moulding company failed and paid him the bonus hence why they so similar
That was back in the 60,s
Things have not changed in the lure business
Doc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2016 at 3:37pm
I read an article about Bill Norman that he worked for an injection moulding company making his lures then left and started Rebel lures the moulding company took him to court over the similarities and when he started his new business, and where keeping his bonous for a breach of of his employment conditions the moulding company failed and paid him the bonus hence why they so similar
rivermandave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rivermandave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2016 at 4:01am
Originally posted by Doc Doc wrote:

Here's the court case.

http://law.justia.com/cases/arkansas/supreme-court/1967/5-4308-0.html

http://ar.findacase.com/research/wfrmDocViewer.aspx/xq/fac.19671218_0042950.AR.htm/qx

1. BOTH Bill Norman and George Perrin were in the lure business in 1963. As a matter of FACT...just about a block away from each other.

Norman's ORIGINAL company was 1st called the R.M. Company...then changed to Rebel Mfg. Co in Oct 1965, at 2910 Jenny Lind Rd, Ft. Smith AR

Perrin's company was called Plastics Research and Developement (PRADCO), at 3601 Jenny Lind Rd, Ft. Smith AR.

2. In November 1964, Perrin HIRED Bill Norman. Norman was terminated on November 5, 1965.

A couple of SIMPLE ways to tell who made what....

1. Norman packaging will have the "2910" address & crossed flags...and the lures have NO markings whatsoever.

2. Pradco pkg will have the "3601" address...a single flag & Rebel on it.. Lures have the word Rebel embossed into the lip...running up and down. Newer lures have it horizontally.

Doc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2016 at 7:52am
Its a interesting story of how things end up. I am just getting my lure buiness up and going Had a buiness partner who seemed keen to get involved but backed out So I am going it alone building equipment as I go. 
Hopefully I will my first lure painted, assembled, rigged and packaged ready for sale at the end of this month. The bodies are already done 
Still looking for a little scoper orange on top with black dots and chrome underneath  
Fysshe Salmon View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2016 at 10:16am
Hi Doc, I have a lot of Bill Normans in my little shop of "Horrors" LOL... About 9 Lil Scoopers, 2 Quarterbacks, a Quarterback deep runner, a Quarterbite, 2 Halfbacks and about a dozen other assorted. I haven't got one in your colour, the closest is a pearl/silver that I reckon with an orange topcoat and some small black dots on the sides will be close.
Fysshe
Doc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2016 at 10:33pm
Now that I have been slinging the airbrush around a bit and watched every youtube clip regarding lure and auto painting and figuring out that it's all about how you layer your paint that gives the depth that turns people on I have become handy for a "novice" an unusual term for someone on the sunnyside of 50. What would you like for your little scooper And is it the one with a single screw holding the bib in
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2016 at 11:22pm
PM sent
Fysshe
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2016 at 1:34pm
This Rebel Deep Teeny 'R' has a similar paint scheme. Bib also held in with a small screw...

Fysshe
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
Fysshe Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fysshe Salmon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2016 at 2:01pm
That colour Rebel in the 3" deep spoonbill minnow was one of my favourite Flathead lures back in the 70's

Fysshe
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Woods Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Werriscreekwonda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2016 at 10:33am
A variety of rebels, I love the little buggers.
Doc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2016 at 4:30pm

This is about the Orange and black dot density I have not done chrome finish yet. "Them there chrome paints is real expensive Horrs" The yellows in the mid Namoi would hit them on the surface with the right technique ,patients and warmish water I have never had yella's hit as hard and fight, never huge about 1lb to 1&3/4 and around mid day
Doc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2016 at 4:39pm
Werriscreekwonda Love the red crawfish and frog in the top right I would love to do patterns that complex but alas they are padprinted and airbrushing would require 2 to 3 stencils each and well located one at that
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Woods Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Werriscreekwonda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2016 at 9:58pm
I found the frog pattern one when i was a kid in the namoi river, I'm amazed we never lost it.
The red crawdad pattern is the only one I've seen in the flesh.
The chrome colors were always great fish takers, but hard to replicate.
Doc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2016 at 11:00pm
I am amazed you found it,, talk about great camouflage for creek area..
Did it get stuck in your tong. lol
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic