LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Lure Discussion > Fishing with Lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Poly vs Full Metal Blades -Same Action,same catch?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote savit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Poly vs Full Metal Blades -Same Action,same catch?
    Posted: 08 Jul 2016 at 1:02pm
Hi All,

I was always fishing with full metal Blades and only recently found out about Poly Blades.

The questions: 

1. Is the lure action (and catch)  different with poly vs full metal blade (as  I presume that the center of gravity has moved to front bottom lure part in Poly lure, and Poly lures should be lighter vs same size full metal blades)?

2. As Poly lure part can be left clear(unpainted) - is there any benefit of it ? like clear HBs for whiting.

3. Where do you usually connect the lure as there usually 2 or 3 holes on the top of blade lure? I prefer the top back hole as it usually gives more lure action, however it may impact (decrease) the casting distance.

Thank you.

horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2016 at 7:30pm
I'm not very experienced with blades, but with question 2, in my opinion, if the metal is chromed then it would give off a flash like a bait fish (my fav flathead lure is a gold or silver chromed Rattlin' Spot for this reason). A clear or opaque poly blade would be like a jelly prawn, as you said, just like for whiting. IMHO anyway.
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
Ducks View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2016 at 10:08pm
I don't think there are any species that would eat one type of blade but not the other. Working out when is the trick.
My experience with them is mostly focused on bream and bass. They'll both readily eat metal or poly blades. I feel poly is a bit more subtle and I switch to them if I feel I need to but still mostly fish metal. Because poly is clear i also think a similar size blade can better represent any smaller bait they might be feeding on. Sometimes it doesn't matter though.
Which hole I use depends on how I'm fishing them. In general front hole for long casts and rolling them over flats. Rear hole for deep holes, big lifts in the retrieve and/or vertical jigging schooled up fish.
savit View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote savit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2016 at 1:07pm
Ducks, thank you very much mate for sharing your experience.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic