LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Australian Lures > QLD Lures > Wild River
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Aging Wild River Lures

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyonel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Aging Wild River Lures
    Posted: 15 Aug 2016 at 9:34pm
Is it possible to age Wild River Lures by their colour schemes?
I picked these up and thought I might move them on but they're growing on me and now I'm thinking of keeping them.
CaptainCranky View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 8:18am
Ring John Collett in Herberton
The Journey is the Reward

Steve B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 8:32am
Gee they look nice in these better photos
Lyonel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyonel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 9:02am
Mint!
matt fraser View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder

Barambah Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matt fraser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 9:45am
They are some of the nicest Wild Rivers I have ever seen Lionel. Its funny how some lures can grow on you. The longer you keep them, the harder they are to move on.Smile

Matt
Lyonel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyonel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 10:46am
Yes Matt I'm just starting to find that out.
Lyonel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lyonel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 11:51am
I spoke to John, what a gentleman.
He said it's a little hard to age because some colours were not changed over the years.
He also mentioned the writing was used to identify lures & colour patters for orders for stores & such. If he made lures for friend or the like they were probably not marked depending on who they were for. So having no markings didn't necessarily mean they were pre commercial lures it could have been he just made some for a friend who new what he wanted so they didn't need marking. The markings were only put on with an artline pen after the clear coat & were never meant to be permanent, only needed to last long enough to be supplied to a store & be on sold. Interestingly the sizes could vary on different runs as well depending on what was required which explains the two different sizes of the smaller ones I have pictured. He also never had names for the two different designs I have pictured he just said he made the smaller ones for jacks & the like & the longer ones for Barra & pelagics.
I enjoyed my conversation with John & the info was helpful in my knowledge of these lures now.
Sorry I forgot about the age, he said based on how good the condition was he thought they were probably made in the last few years before he stopped making lures but couldn't be sure as they looked like they hadn't been used & could be quite a bit older.
Seaweed View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
née Capt.Seaweed

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seaweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 1:23pm
Thanks, some good info. for Wild R. collectors here.
On my drive home to Darwin after a long detour visiting LL friends after last years Expo, I travelled via the Top Rd. ie. Cairns to Normanton, then south on the Savannah Way. I passed over a very scenic river near Herberton and yes the sign stated Wild River. Didn't know until then that John named his lures after an actual river. Many I'd say, including me, may have assumed it was a fictional name, however not so.
Seaweed.
"Always Merry and Bright"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic