LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Fishing Tackle > Vintage and Collectible
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Wooden Alveys

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote milton mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wooden Alveys
    Posted: 27 Aug 2016 at 9:23pm
Scored a couple of wooden Alveys at garage sales today. A 450/A3 and a 925/A23. Any info on them appreciated..
scotch&dry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotch&dry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2016 at 1:00am
the bigger one looks to be non sidecast reel more suited to bottom bashing, the smaller one looks to be in good condition. nice pickup mate . cheers ed
Ed.McC
CaptainCranky View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2016 at 11:32am
Small one is listed as 1957/58.
Large one is listed as around 1960.
The Journey is the Reward

milton mick View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote milton mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2016 at 5:38pm
Thanks CaptainCranky.

Scotch yes it is actually on a 5ish ft Jarvis Walker( model looks to read maybe "Toronto") with an interesting roller tip..the old bloke I got it off said he had never seen another tip like it. Here's a pic..
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2016 at 6:40pm
Good score and like you said - an interesting tip.Clap
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
CaptainCranky View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Guide
LureLovers.com Guide
Beta Tester

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CaptainCranky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2016 at 7:04am
I have seen a few of those tips .Aftco made them for reels that go under the rod.IE.Spinning or Threadline reels.There was the odd Overhead reel that went under the rod as well.
The Journey is the Reward

scotch&dry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scotch&dry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2016 at 9:52am
Is the larger reel made from 2 pieces of timber mick it seems to have dowels going through it or something ?

Ed.McC
milton mick View Drop Down
Unverified New Member
Unverified New Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote milton mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2016 at 11:46am
Yeah mate well spotted. I'm starting to clean it up and they seem to be a nut and grub screw set up. I don't know wether they are actually supposed to be exposed or the outer layer of wood has deteriorated. I have found a better example doing a search of sold items on eBay. It has a few differences so might be from a different era maybe.
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2016 at 1:45pm
try the Alvey reels site on facebook Mick,Rob who runs the site and works for Alveys could find out for you i'm sure.seeing those fibreglass 925's brought back memories,i used to mold those!Wink
that's no how ye make porridge!
Da-Jew-Man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Da-Jew-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2016 at 4:22pm
The early winches were made from laminated marine ply as this was stronger than cedar etc.
There were a number of side cast reels made from marine ply also.
The cedar reels used to explode when heavy line was used and was wound back on after catching fish.
When the line dried the pressure on the reel would cause it or crack or explode.
This reel is a 925A23 as opposed to a 925C23 or drag reel.
There were other models ie 925A22 or 925C22 which had a full stainless back.
Other winch sizes in marine ply were, 525,725, and a 12 and 14 inch,
whilst the side cast reels were from 5 inch to 7 inch.

Dave
Historian/Collector of Old Sidecast Fishing Reels
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2016 at 5:31pm
I killed a 7 inch fibreglass spool with too much line pressure in exactly the same way - but without the fish. I soaked the line (10kg) then would it on too tight. Next morning it was cactus.
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic