LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures > Questions and Tips re carving your own fishing lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Beginer

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Beginer
    Posted: 12 Sep 2016 at 10:28am
Now I'm retired, I want to start painting my lures.

Looking so advice for a rank beginner re compressors, paint guns, etc...

Have trolled trough the articles here but still confused on which way to go.

Thanks all in advance

Luc

PS, I've had others paint them in the past but can't seem to get a regular painter.
L4
MadDogLures View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Mad Dog Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MadDogLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2016 at 8:13am

G'day, Luc Try Hobby tools Australia, they have a airbrush compressor kit for around $293 to get you started.

Paints depends what you want and  I have been using auto and water based paints.

Cheers
Dave

Life is fishing!
Doc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2016 at 4:18am
Hi Luc
  if you are still looking for a compressor this Assie company is selling one cheap $100 with a 5Lt tank and being a diafram pump should be reasonablely queit as well
I have not tried it but it cuts in at 48 psi and out at 57 psi which covers 95% of airbrushing the missing 5% is large nozzles for large area coverage I purchased a gravity airbrush from supercheap for $60 bucks 
its Ok, but fine for painting lures and are very easy to clean I have been using solvent paint for several months and going well
glider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2016 at 11:46pm
If noise is not an issue,i would go for biggest compressor you can,24 litres+ .you can make box to dampen sound a bit,but is noisy. However what i do if i want silence is fill tank, unplug ,and you can do fair bit of painting with whats in tank. You can fill outside or another room..,choice depends on your priorities and how much painting your likely to do though. ......glider.
Luc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2016 at 9:56am
Hi all,
Thanks for the replies.
Will be doing a fair bit of painting at night so quietness is important.
Hopefully will start in the new year after I make some working space in the garage!!
L4
Doc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2016 at 5:11pm
Happy to help Luc you will need a dust extraction system I made one up with a $19 toilet fan, cardboard box and a padding material they cover cushions with from spotlight it dose not remove vapors but it stops overspray on cars and stuff in your garage use 2 layers 4 to 6 inches apart it helps to even out the airflow I recommend iawata brushes not the Neo part of the range if you are using water based paints go with 0.3mm nozzle I use cheaper brushes but I am a toolmaker so tuning airbrushed is not an issue as I have access to all the fun toys
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic