LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > International Lures > European Fishing Lures > U.K. Lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Martin James lures

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Martin James lures
    Posted: 29 Oct 2010 at 12:01pm
I believe they have been available from the early 30's I thought originally they were made out of eel skin But there appears to be a woven cloth like substance where the paint has lifted off due to age.
Anybody come across them in there travels.

reel deal View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reel deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2010 at 2:07pm
John, I have some thing almost similar - was told it is a Soleskin.
Seems to be made from hand painted canvas !!! and is heavier than it looks.

Last pic reminds me of the ex wife - early in the mornings !!! - I did say EX....

A spittin image, I tell yah - no lies.

Wadey
www.reeldealfishing.com.au
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2010 at 6:44pm
Could be fabric, some of these Phantom minnow style lures were also made with a silk body, but they appear to be smooth and glossy as silk does even when painted.

Here is one of the original Phantom's made by William Brown of Aberdeen Scotland between 1879 and 1923 sometime and another generic version in trout size

"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

Screamingreel View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2010 at 6:45pm
WADEY Has a very similiar texture to mine and also style.Tail tips and binding around the hooks also very similiar.  Redards John
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2010 at 4:40pm
DarbyThat one you have on your card looks Identical to mine I wonder if there was one maker  andthey were distributed through different fishing outlets I saw mine in a fishing catalogue between 1929/1931 with the Identical printing that is shown on my card. Darby there was one minute between posting when i responded to Wadey and your posting hadn't appeared.
regards JOhn
Darby View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fishaholic Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2010 at 5:27pm
John,
both these are made from silk, coated in some kind of semi flexible stuff and painted as you see.
The pic isn't great. I'll try and get a clearer close up of the head and body so you can compare the fittings and sewing. The ooriginal W Brown Phantoms usually have a 7 x 7 strand wire trace and a open box type swivel, some of the copies (and there have been multitudes) have simple brass bean swivels and dacron trace.

Interestingly, Martin James is the name of the Pommy version of our Rex Hunt. has numerous columns and media roles. Maybe there is some tie in there as he has been around in the fishing media for 3 decades or so.

Darbs
"If you are going to have fun with your rod.. get some wood

LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2010 at 12:16pm
Darby actually sent him an E mail about a week ago but no response I thought perhaps his old man may have been involved in the lure making business
Regards John
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2010 at 10:27am
Located another different style Martin James It appears the lure is only attached at the front of the lure allowing the lure more movement when slowed down presumablely.
goldenfox View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldenfox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2010 at 1:00am
Hi Screaming reel and other forum folk
This last one is what they call a Swallowtail bait. Martin James stuff was prominent through the 40s, 50, and 60's as far as I can gather. One of the tackle companies out of Redditch and produced/sold a lot of the stuff that other companies did. It seemed that Redditch in particular, over the years manufactured a lot of stuff which was retailed by many other companies. I am not aware the Murdoch made his own lures as it would have not been easy to tool up for them as an individual, rather, they sought out a manufacturer in Redditch, who could sell them as is or charge for stamping them with their names. I don't the the Martin James that seems to be mentioned above is the same chap at all, so I don't think he will be able to give much info unless he is related. I will post some pictures at some point of similar items. Value wise, they can go for anything between £8 - £20 or so depending on condition of the lure and card. Hope this helps and please contact me for any other info - I am always willing to help and share where I can.

Tightest of lines to you!
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2010 at 8:59am
Thanks Goldenfox for the local input.
looking forward to your photo's in due course

regards John
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Screamingreel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2011 at 4:20pm
located this article by Vic Mc Cristal Modern Fishing April 1991

On the" Phantom"  {Carswell}  printed on the card as was explained one manufacturer a number of distributers

Regards John

bassnbob View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
B.O.B Timber Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassnbob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2012 at 5:04pm
NEVER seen one of them before very sweet lures indeedClapClapClapClapregards bob
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic