LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures > Questions and Tips re carving your own fishing lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Holding lures for paint and clear?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Holding lures for paint and clear?
    Posted: 12 Oct 2016 at 1:55pm
Hey guys,

I've got a question for those who add bibs after paint and clear. I've been gluing the bibs in my lures prior to painting and top coating but I'm not happy with the finish so with my next batch I want to add the bibs last and look for a cleaner finish.

My question is... I've seen pictures from makers that show some sort of pressure fitting, usually a twisted wire or screw temporarily attached to the tail tow point hole (most often), used to hold the lure for painting and clearing. I use etex for top coat, how do you remove the temporary fittings after applying epoxy and putting on the turner?

Appreciate the advice guys.

Cheers,

Ces.
Blinky View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Blinky's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blinky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2016 at 4:09pm
I sandwich a cup hook between two paddle pop sticks. I then screw it into the rear wire hole.

Blinky.

Blinky's Lures.
The lures that catch fish, not fishermen.........
Facebook
Scotty ray View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scotty ray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2016 at 6:21pm
I too am going through this process...about to start using etex and therefore need my rotator. I have an idea in mind but yet to put in action. I'll take some pictures soon of what I'm thinking... it may help you. Cheers Scott
Scotty ray View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scotty ray Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2016 at 9:06pm
This is what I have in mind..

Using a pvc pipe cut to short lengths to stick into the wood while painting and paint drying. Then they come out when you apply your etex and clip straight onto the rotator. Just need to put the right size wire or screw in the end cap that will then go into a hook hanger hole. Clear as mud?? Hope this helps a little or gives you an idea.

Blinky View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Blinky's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blinky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2016 at 11:00pm
I have bulldog clips on the carousel that hold the paddle pop sticks, the carousel holds about 25 lures.

Blinky.

Blinky's Lures.
Facebook
Ces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2016 at 11:44am
Thanks for the pics and tips guys. I really appreciate it. Some good ideas too.

Blinky, you just back he screws out with no damage to the top coat or paint?

Thanks again for the help guys.

Cheers,

Ces.
Blinky View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Blinky's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blinky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2016 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by Ces Ces wrote:

Blinky, you just back he screws out with no damage to the top coat or paint?

Yep, the rear wire is the last thing done. Bibs, other wires, clear all done prior to removing the holder.

No damage to the timber or coatings.

Cheap as chips and quick to make. Just make sure you use 24 hr Araldite to do the gluing, in my experience the 5 minute stuff doesn't cut the mustard.......
Blinky.

Blinky's Lures.
Facebook
puglee62 View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Fugly Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote puglee62 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2016 at 12:58pm
love your set up Blinky,the paddlepop sticks and your rotisse are brilliantClap
that's no how ye make porridge!
Blinky View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Blinky's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blinky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2016 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by puglee62 puglee62 wrote:

love your set up Blinky,the paddlepop sticks and your rotisse are brilliantClap

Thanks mate.
Blinky.

Blinky's Lures.
Facebook
Ces View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ces Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2016 at 7:05pm
Thanks Blinky.

Ces.
Blinky View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Blinky's Lures

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blinky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2016 at 4:18pm
Full house.......

Blinky.

Blinky's Lures.
Facebook
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic