LURELOVERS™ Australian Fishing Lure Community Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Lure Making > Make your own Fishing Lures > Questions and Tips re carving your own fishing lures
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

australian lures

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2016 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by glider glider wrote:

Horrorhead ,as someone with a great respect of history,next time I'm up that way with a large hammer, I would be honoured to knock you a lump off it. Nothing bigger than i could fit in a wheel barrow though ?

Cheers mate, but just a little chip as the postage from Scotland to Australia would be a killerLOL
Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
Doc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2016 at 9:03pm
Great looking lures Glider
 The clear coat is nice but the fading around the black dots are a very nice touch. Did you use a felt tip for the black dots .The raking on the leading edge of the bib is this decorative or for improving the action. 
glider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2016 at 7:02am
Thanks doc,and also for sorting p.m issue, o.k,so hope it's o.k to clear a few misunderstandings regarding 'ausie humour' ,slurring my proud and noble race with what you call 'good natured' banter,the impression we still live in peat houses and run aboot moors shouting ' tap o the mornin ' while wearing skirts and even talk of 'war' (freedom!) I can assure any person of any nationality redading this,scotland is a modern ,progressive ,all welcoming countr , (We invented a bridge for example , i think). I would also like to pass on an observation on what is an acceptable level of banter on a fishing forum .Now i know this is getting very long winded,and i can assure you this shall be a one
off,i will then speak only of lures and things. I am only going to these lengths as a clear the air type thing, (been coating lures all day,so quite literally) and the fact that this actually effected me so deeply i actually almost cried,o.k first up-doc ,the ground lure lip seems to allow same depth with less material /weight, also seams crisper action with less weight, those particular lures never touch bottom son no wear issues. About the spots, this method was passed down to me by my great grandmother, Donald angus macdoogal of glen garry.she got it from her great great grandmother, Angus mackangas,the best regarded airbusher in all of the glen. I cant give all the details for fear things,basically it involves going into peat house with lure blanks and airbrush and drinking a potion of whiskey and mushrooms. Two day's later and when i awaken all my lures have wee spots. Now i will get back to you on that doc cause i need to crack on with this short ramble. got lots of work ahead tonight so getting it done now.
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2016 at 7:40am
Nicely made lures the grandparents would be very proud.
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
Ducks View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ducks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2016 at 8:41am
That sounds a lot like how Nicho's lures all end up with dots.
Although I'm still not sure where those few with spots come from.
glider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2016 at 8:54am
Now for the second part of my observations on ausie humour etc. I truly hope (and i really do)hope what i am about to say is taken with absolutely no intent of criticism, offence or what i particularly fear,crossing the line between 'banter ' and downright smutt or worse,nastiness. Please forgive me and let me know if i am pushing any of those parameters in this hopefully not too rambling post (longest ever spent typing a post ) o.k ,now this is the part that worries me---- first though,i will say this,i have been a member on here for quite a while, gleaning a fantastic range of diverse skills and opinions and felt it respectful to not just barge in but rather get a general feel for the forum and its diverse membershi . I mean it when i say, this is the most welcoming, easy going,interesting, all inclusive of the big forums . And so to my final and most personaly troubling issue-ausie banter and its international consequences. I have found the banter on this forum of an absolutely un offensive, good natured ,not overly vulgar nature. However i often wonder how international visitors whose 1st language is not English interpret these shenanigans on the various forums,imagine if you will a member from some far flung land who, proud and rightly so of his ability to speak more than one language but perhaps not understanding the nuances of humour in the english language,would make for instance of this whole debacle of a post....goats,nut cream etc. What i wonder would such a member make of this? Now my take is there is nothing untoward in this matter on this forum hence my respect (apart from war thing ,,freedom) now consider this ,and this is the part that nearly made me cry and indeed leaves a bad taste in the mouth and a sense of trepidation even now.. on another respected lure building forum of which i have been a member for some time. Some great guy's there,very helpful etc. Then by accident i happened upon another section of said forum and was gobsmacked, nae ,horrified at the level of seriously nasty,racist and seriously offensive nature therein that it made me really (seriously now) angry at the thought of people of different backgrounds coming across this nasty section of an otherwise good forum. Like i say i will trouble you no more with rambling posts such as this (bored typing this now and 4 hand carves to get done still tonight ) but here's where the horror and tears come, I regard myself as reasonably well rounded,and fairly worldly man but what happened next ,well i dont know how to say this. I personally steer clear of what i consider unsuitable (for me personally ) websites of a strongly offensive nature ,and far be it from me to preach to others. While discussing this issue with a family member and fisherman today,he agreed this seems a forum of good character and like me found the thought of one without an understanding of nuance aactually fairly funny and actually harmless,he didn't believe some of the things i told him about the other websites nasty side should such a soul stumble into its horrible subforums. So to illustrate my point i went to said site with the intention of getting his view on such matters (and he was rightly offended also) however, and finally the most terrible tear inducing part of this debacle.I told him to imagine being an innocent abroad and read the first post he came to (fully expecting it to contain The usual hate filled nonsense ,but no,dear god no,it was worse, the 1st post up was entitled---finding this difficult because i partially Take blame,you know how some time you scan down posts without actually reading properly, merely ģnoticing key words? Well put yourself now in our hypothetical innocent abroad lure makers mind. The 1st topic up ? BLEACHED BALOON KNOTS. bleached baloon knots.That was the subject up for discussion! Now when sscanning posts i had merely noticed the words beach,knots that type of thing. Now like i say ,I thought i had seen and heard some things before,so,not entirely sure of my suspicions. and before my rather religious cousins eyes, i googled this phrase and could not believe the images before me.Bleached balloon knots,dear god. In one of the posts was mention of not looking it directly in the so called eye. Well sir i did,i unintentionally looked it straight in the eye,then looked at my horrified cousin,then thought of our innocent foreign luremaker. Thats when the tears came sir, tears a tell you. Now picture our poor chap perhaps asking his English speaking boss for all i know, about bleached balloon knots, imagine that. Thats just wrong sir, and my slightly round about view on this hole messy business. For me thats where a line has been crossed..even if he thought perhaps bleached was beached misspelled and therefore fishing related,what on gods own earth would a beached balloon knot be? I've said my piece and hope it is taken in the manner meant........glider
glider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2016 at 9:47am
Seriously guy's, doing last bit carving of year,and fancy trying a few of the style of lure discussed, i.e,flattened shape,backing up,wobbling style, which patterns would you recommend in general i look at ?Thanks,,,glider.
Doc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2016 at 4:43pm
Thanks for the close ups, it answered my question. I usally aviod humour in pen and parchment or photons and polymers, as I am not proficient at it. 
Ok I admit it ,I googled it Shocked
The thanks I used earlier,Pinch  (well not so thankful now Ha Ha).
 I guess it answer the old question " What do Scott's wear under there kilts" 
And my first intercontinental mooningBeer

May I suggest you try a classic Aussie design from one of JP lures nut shaped designs
glider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2016 at 5:08pm
Likewise doc,and a one off,but genuinely happened that way while discussing with cousin (didn't Google it cause had a 'fair' idea) anyway enough nonsense, the spots are stencil and mask, took me a while to achieve a method to produce effect i was after. Thanks ,glider....
Doc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2016 at 5:35pm
JJ's Stump jumper was one of the most OZ advertized backward floating lures that,s shape would be appreiated by your local piscosus pray. The original timber ones had a flat bibs
glider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2016 at 5:36pm
O.k doc,thanks for that. Actually just checked that cause thought you were serious and about to carve last few lures for deadline Christmas presents,and thought maybe whittle few aussie prototypes.7 a.m here sir and little sleep caused bygetting last few Christmas carves done. In the name of humanity, no , no , no more of this. Is this justified payback.(had to make my 'aussie humour liking brother such a thing, oh how he laughed as it walked the dog zig zagged back across the water as 2 bird watchers happened by) not I though. Coincidentally it was however the last time i recall lure design based tears ? No more,no war, genuinely have to concentrate on getting back to work on last urgent few lures.
glider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2016 at 5:40pm
O.k stumpjumper it is.thanks
glider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2016 at 6:39pm
Sorry,cant let this go nicho,my hackles have risen,I've tried to offer the olive branch of peace ,and you talk of war? So you know what a modern scotland are capable of and to maybe pick up on some nuances of the varied dialects of the peoples you possibly hail from i.e Scotland, search on youtube for-------- 'burnistoun elevator scene' thank you and goodbye..........glider.
glider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2016 at 6:56pm
Final observation, seems some have took this seriously. I take access to these forums as a privilege, and other site's subforum comes with warning for easily offended. So entirely there business. Even those who post their admit it can be horrendous. I actually only started looking in ,on run up to u.s election to observe their opinions on U.S.   politics. Never posted their. While discussing this ,i showed to cuz with warning he may find some toe curling stuff in there. But 1st post up- bleached balloon knots. I barely stopped laughing for 2 day's. Mentioned it on here as mock horror wind up - after this thread descended to farce ,i found this funny and harmless . Now some seem to believe i was genuinely offended. Of all the posts i observed in other site forum, horrors and all, the balloon post was the least offensive and due to circumstances, hilarious post on there. Since mentioning this on here and nowhere else,seems someone has taken seriously. Of all the toe curling posts on there, that one has been removed !
glider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2016 at 8:40pm
So spent a bit more time navigating lure lovers and very impressed, some amazing builders,and guy's doing hard work behind scenes doing great job (always under appreciated)...found post of some of you guy's at bassnbobs cave,some fantastic looking lures there bassnbob. Tried to investigate origin of '(bobs goat) story so as to feel bit more included. So,bobs goat,what gives ?
glider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2016 at 3:05am
Originally posted by Nicho Nicho wrote:

Look out...its a war :)
And you started it :)
For a minute there i thought youd lost ya kilt!
Good to hear.

And "practical humour" i like it.
      surrender?
Nicho View Drop Down
Stall Holder
Stall Holder
Nichos Maulers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nicho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2016 at 8:32am
I could write a long winded post post.
But far to busy.
Bring on the lures.
Nichos Maulers Homemade timber lures....THEY CATCH FISH!

YA DONT KNOW...IF YA DONT GO...SO GET OUT THERE AND... FISH IT
glider View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2016 at 10:46am
Cheers nicho,will do.
horrorhead View Drop Down
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLovers.com Fanatic
LureLover of the Year 2020

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horrorhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2016 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by glider glider wrote:

[QUOTE=Nicho] Look out...its a war :)
And you started it :)
For a minute there i thought youd lost ya kilt!
Good to hear.

And "practical humour" i like it.

surrender?[/QUOTE

LOLLOLLOL

Martin-

you don't havta be pretty to fish
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic